Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm at a local range here in Fort Worth, TX. Its indoor, I've got my eyes and ears on and am putting rounds through the target at 7 yards. I'm shooting my p99QA and am pulling the trigger about twice per second. I personally didn't think I was shooting that fast, since I usually do a few clips at this speed. Granted I have only been to this range twice but I know for certain I did it the last time I was here, and all the time back in Louisiana at the Sheriff's Department range I would go to. But I am midway through my second clip at that 2 shots per second pace when I feel a hand grab my shoulder and the range worker (who was sweeping brass) tells me to slow it down a bit.

I don't have any problem slowing down, but what concerned me was that he grabbed me while I was shooting. To me that seems awfully dangerous to do.

Is this a common occurence? Was I really shooting too fast to be safe? And am I wrong in thinking that what he did was amazingly stupid?

-- Jon
'04 P99 QA

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
ummmmm
I would had ask him if he had a deathwish to grab somebody like that!!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did the range have a speed limit sign?  

I suggest you reveal the entire situation to range management (including the ignorant shoulder grab incident).

If management fails to act appropriately I suggest you find another range . . . I believe a shooting range is for shooting to absolutely enjoy shooting and improve skills.  I certainly do not believe it should be made into a plateau for serving some sort of political correctness to morons!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Noj I second glock guy. If managment doesn't fix it find another range. I have a zero tollerance for ranges that do crap like that. I won't even go to some ranges based on their limitations of ammo you can use. I understand that some kinds of ammo shouldn't be used, but one near my house tries to limit it only to the frangible rounds they sell. In short, have them fix the problem, or take your buisness elsewhere.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, no speed limit sign.

I will go back tomorow to talk to management. I don't think it was teh range master who did it, but one of his underlings while he was at work, but I will bring it to thier attention.

Thanks for the input, was hoping I wasn't doing anything unsafe or wrong.

-- jon

·
Registered
53 Posts
Without any reference to the reason the range worker had, he actually did the right thing. The only way to be sure that you get someone's attention is touching him. You can't trust speech in a noisy place. The way we did it in the army was bumping a fist on the soldier's helmet. Just the result of years of experience.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I don't see any reason why it couldn't wait until you finished your magazine. Sounds like a dumb thing to do IMO.

Regarding the "speed limit" in general, it's their range, they can make any rule they like. They just have to accept that people may go somewhere else because of it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Most ranges, especially indoor ranges, prefer that you have at least one second between shots. All the ranges that I have been to have "no rapid firing" posted. This is really hard for me when I shoot my P22 because it stays on target the whole time and is so fun to blast away with. I've been warned a couple time, and both times, it was with a hand on my shoulder or elbow.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have hesistated in commenting about this incident because I am a firearms instructor and take Safety "Dead serious" !

This might not be the most popular stance to take but,

If I saw a safety violation occuring during one of my classes--- you certainly wouldn't be permitted to continue the violation " until you ran out of ammo " That to me is un-thinkable.

How you stop the violation.......does require some common sense, again it must be done safely.

The "one round per second" is indeed a common safety tool used at most ranges - but not all.

Before firing one round at an indoor range --all shooters should know exactly what is expected of them. My range rquires that you read and sign the safety rules list, before you are permitted near the firing line.

JF.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great thread...
My indoor range has a "no rapid" rule... Ive been caught a few times going too fast with my p99qa too- both times the rangemaster (diff dudes) just used the intercom. It's just that I have a 15 round clip and it goes soooo smooth...

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, i went to the rangemaster today to talk to him. There indeed is a no rapid fire rule, it isn't posted but it is in the rules i read and signed about 5 weeks ago. On that note, I showed the rangemaster how fast I was going and explained how close my grouping was, and he said that it was a close call, and that it is up to the discretion of the officer as to let me know. He said I was probably told that because there was someone else in the range a few lanes down who complained (Even though my grouping was much tighter than his was - maybe jealousy?). He also explained that they are being a little more strict since some guy shot through the cieling tiles last week for doing rapid fire. They classify rapid fire as fast as you can, and my pace was very close to the allowable speed, they just didn't want to take any chances.

He also said it is up to the discretion of the range officer how to let me know - the intercom sometimes does not work and usually they will just tap someone on the shoulder. He said grabbing me like he did (I demonstrated) was a little excessive and he'd talk to him about it.

I feel better after talking to him, because by thier rules I was on the borderline of being in the wrong. I still don't like that fact. Boy do I miss my outdoor FREE range back home. Only open to the public on Sat. mornings and Wed. afternoons but it was nice to go to a real Sherriff's range.

Thanks for the replies all, happy shooting...

-- jon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts