Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some reloaded ammo last weekend at the gun shop of a type I have never purchased before but seen around. Normally I just shoot wwb and in 1 year and 5,000 rounds in my p99c I have not had one failure to feed, fire, or edject.

I shot a couple hundred rounds of the reload through my p99c and my XD-9, without any trouble at first, but soon both guns began having problems. the XD began stove-piping every few rounds, then about every other round. And the walthers slide would not pull back, manually I mean, when there was a round in the chamber. When this happened i edgected the magazine and fired- it fired fine and cycled the slide, but the problem kept occuring every time id load again- i mean, you could not physically bring the slide back- like it was welded to the gun?

Do you think this is just dirty, weak ammo? It did seem to get worse the more i shot, but it did get worse quickly. The only other variable is my friend has a Glock-26 (the 9mm baby glock), I think its a 26) and his gun shot the same ammo fine. Granted I had shot 480 rounds the week before without cleaning the guns so they were dirty than the glock, may have had something to do with it (I normally clean my guns).

Anyway- neither of my pistols have ever had a problem- i took them home and cleaned them as well as I ever have- will shoot with factory ammo this weekend and hope it was just bad bullets.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I had some problems using reloads too. Just fail to eject mostly. I guess the walther is a premium gun that requires premium ammo. And by premium I mean anything other than reloads, cause mine loves walmarts stuff, even though I hate supporting wally-world, it is the best place to buy cheap good ammo.
Wagemage OUt:blues:

·
Registered
333 Posts
It sounds like the Re-loaded ammo was not properly "re-sized" before reloading. The causes the cartridge cases to be too large for the gun's chamber........and so they jam up tight inside the chamber.

Please check your extractor carefully........... this condition can cause serious damage to this part. The extractor tries to pull the jammed case from the gun's chamber......and it breaks off parts of the claw doing so.

Using re-loads can be a dangerous business..........and you must make the judgement whether the money saved is worth the damage to your gun.

JF.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It sounds like the reloaded did a poor job of sizing the cases and or cleaning the brass. My P99 hasn't had any problems with either reloads or factory ammo. Of course the only reloads I feed it are my own though at $5.45/50 it's still hard to justify over CCI Blazer, unless you're doing something special, like hot loads, crimped rounds (to prevent set back), or +P (though I never load to +P on my reloads). I generally load cast bullets at lower preasures as practice ammo. As long as the loader you're buying from is reputable I don't see any risk in running reloads. Generally if they screw up they'll make it right, though everyone makes mistakes once in a while. I had a friend accidentally miss a powder charge on one of his loads. He knew he had a bad load but it had gotten mixed in with the rest of the batch so he was ready for a squib and brought a brass punch to push it out with when it happened.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info- I did not consider it could be the brass itself that was holding the rounds in the gun, but it makes sense. I bought a ton of the ammo (have 1500 rounds left). I think I'll keep it for my buddy's Glock when he's with me and chalk it up to a lesson learned. Of course the boxes may be from different lots and the rest of the ammo could be okay. Still.... I'm going back to factory ammo without a look back!

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
I NEVER shoot reloads - blew up a Glock 17 n 1995 - never used it since... I REFUSE to let anyone use reloads or remanufacturered ammo in my guns.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Glocks are especially notorious for blowing up due to reloaded ammo. They have an unsupported chamber which makes using reloaded ammo much worse.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts