Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
In Germany we have a very strict gun law and only licensed shops and gun smiths are allowed to make, sell and repair weapons.
I was told, that they replace old parts) with serial numbers) with new parts with the same serial number, at least if they get the parts from Walther. (So one doesn't have to ask the authorities for all the shitty process with background check by police, confirmation from a sport shooter club and so on to register an additional part with another number.)
So just ask your local vendor or Walther if they'll repair with replacing parts with the same number. I think, you have good chances.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G950F mit Tapatalk

·
Registered
405 Posts
The serial number on the frame doesn't "need" to match the slide once it's sold. It would be unfortunate to have a mixed serial gun and would undoubtedly hurt resale value. Of course a cracked frame with matching serials isn't worth much. I'd prefer the mixed serials and a good frame 😁

I don't see any reason your location in CA would preclude the weapon from being repaired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not sure but I think in Commiefornia the slide serial needs to match the frame serial. Now they do sell the PPQ 22 so Im hoping this has been addressed or thought out? Just hoping for some sort of assurance. I really love this firearm.

I don't see any reason your location in CA would preclude the weapon from being repaired.
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
709 Posts
Unfortunately as a CA resident, Walther is not allowed to send you another replacement firearm because of the “off roster” status of the Q5. This has been a problem for those of us who needed P99 frame replacements in the past.

The best Walther could do is give you the retail value of the gun. Because you probably paid twice that amount for an off roster premium, you may have to eat the difference.

Sorry about what happened to you Q5. May we know what happened?

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you cant acquire the weapon in Kommiefornia then how about getting fixed through the same channels as it was acquired?
The only way this could be remedied is if he PPTs (private party transfer) the pistol to someone who is exempt from the handgun roster (aka Tier 1 LEO), gets it repaired by Walther while in exempt persons possession, and then has the new replacement pistol PPTd back to the OP.

Does this constitute a straw purchase? I am not a lawyer, but seeing that the LEO is not intent on being the end user of the pistol and would be solely acting as an intermediary in facilitating a replacement, the laws (vaguely written in CA penal code) may prove it to be constituted as a straw purchase.

Unfortunately, OP is stuck in a crappy position. If the frame is toast then all he can do is buy another Q5 and maybe keep the old one for parts. Or again, cross his fingers and hope Walther will just issue him retail value for the gun, sans the California premium he paid because it is off roster.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jeez! I forgot about the roster nonsense. I didn't even consider that it would preclude warranty replacement of a firearm.

I was born and raised in California and I ran for the hills (CO) 5 years ago and haven't looked back. If your job requires you to work in California I'd consider a new career path ;)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Im not sure but I think in Commiefornia the slide serial needs to match the frame serial. Now they do sell the PPQ 22 so Im hoping this has been addressed or thought out? Just hoping for some sort of assurance. I really love this firearm.

[/QUOTE]

What exactly cracked? If it's the poly frame you are out of luck. As others have said, a frame replacement requires a DROS. DROS is subject to the roster. The PPQ is not on the roster.

The only serial that matters is the one on the frame. Slide and barrel serials are irrelevant. Before you ask, No, Walther won't stamp your old number on a new frame.

If it's another part, like the slide, that can be repaired and returned as the serial number (the one that matters) won't change.

·
Registered
127 Posts
The only way this could be remedied is if he PPTs (private party transfer) the pistol to someone who is exempt from the handgun roster (aka Tier 1 LEO), gets it repaired by Walther while in exempt persons possession, and then has the new replacement pistol PPTd back to the OP.

Does this constitute a straw purchase? I am not a lawyer, but seeing that the LEO is not intent on being the end user of the pistol and would be solely acting as an intermediary in facilitating a replacement, the laws (vaguely written in CA penal code) may prove it to be constituted as a straw purchase.

Unfortunately, OP is stuck in a crappy position. If the frame is toast then all he can do is buy another Q5 and maybe keep the old one for parts. Or again, cross his fingers and hope Walther will just issue him retail value for the gun, sans the California premium he paid because it is off roster.
IANAL!! However, Line 11a from the 4473 says:

"Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form? Warning: You are not the actual transferee buyer if you are acquiring the firearm(s) on behalf of another person. If you are not the actual transferee/buyer, the licensee cannot transfer the firearm(s) to you. Exception: If you are picking up a repaired firearm(s) for another person, you are not required to answer 11.a. and may proceed to question ll.b. (See Instructions for Question 11.a.)".

It goes on to say:

"I certify that my answers in Section A are true, correct, and complete. I have read and understand the Notices, Instructions, and Definitions on ATF Form 4473. I understand that answering YES to question ll.a. if I am not the actual transferee/buyer is a crime punishable as a felony under Federal law, and may also violate State and/or local law. "

I think this will trip up the return side even though no money (or other goods/services) were exchanged.

When I bought my PPQs back in 2014 (Single Shot Exemption (SSE) when it was available) , I liked my 5" M2 so much I bought 2 of them. One to shoot, one for spares. I also have a 4" M2. If you don't know what SSE is, count your blessings.

·
Super Moderator
14,881 Posts
I wondered how your frame got cracked. A picture is worth a thousand words.....I got it now.

The only thing I can add is, since Walther cannot replace the frame you might consider purchasing a bare frame from Earls Repair Service. Since you live in California, I have no idea how you'd go about doing that, but the frame would have to be shipped to an FFL and transferred to you.

Hope you can find a solution.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ouch OP. Damage from installing an aftermarket trigger?

Since Walther and Earls can’t directly replace your frame, you might as well shoot the gun until it’s about to die. I don’t know how muzzle energy is channeled on this frame but my guess is that broken piece doesn’t come contribute much to the pistols overall structure.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts