Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!

Went shooting with my 1935 PPK for the first time today. All was going well and I was very happy with it. However, as soon as I got home to start to clean it I realized I had two 1in long cracks on either side of my grip, starting at the top.

I am incredibly sick over this and am kicking myself for not purchasing after market grips and keeping the original safe. What glue should I use to put these things back together?

·
Registered
21 Posts
That sucks. The same thing happened to me on my 1933 ZM PPK. take the grip off and get a replacement from NC Ordnance. It's made of modern plastic that won't warp or crack. It only comes in black and may require minor flash removal, but it fits better than other brands and looks good. If you leave the current grip on the gun loosen the screw or it will crack more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you buy from Earl's you will probably get original grips, which means you can't shoot the gun with them on or they will crack again. The plastic used back in the '30s wasn't as good as what is used today, plus the old plastic will have deteriorated which is why it is now brittle.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wouldn't buy the $200 plus grip, looks like Earls has one at 95 bucks that might fit. I'll call and check anyway. I'd rather have the brown swirl than black for 40 bucks more. If it doesn't work out, NC is second choice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Any suggestions on how to/where to get them repaired, Mike? This is my first pistol, and I'm certainly not looking to sell it ever.

Colt, found the German PPK grips on Grips4u for $75. I looked up reviews for the business, just for fun, and found that many people posting had a bad experience with them. Nothing against your word, but this will be at the bottom of my list.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I looked up reviews for the business, just for fun, and found that many people posting had a bad experience with them. Nothing against your word, but this will be at the bottom of my list.

I have G4Us on my P5, TPH, and PPK/S. They look fantastic and fit very well. They are returnable as long as you don't put a dremel or other tool to them. I am planning of getting a set for my PPK.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
Any suggestions on how to/where to get them repaired, Mike? ...
Assuming that the grips are in fact the originals from 1935 (we've seen no pictures), they are both valuable and fragile. A poor repair will render them nearly worthless, and even a good repair will not improve their durability for shooting. The best one can hope for is a difficult-to-see repair that will preserve their external appearance for display purposes. For shooting, replace them with modern plastic grips.

The early grips were made of a hard plastic akin to Bakelite; there are some very thin sections and the grips have been subject to shrinkage and warping. Repairing them is more patient artistry than gunsmithing. It requires careful preparation (including removal of material from the reverse sides), selection of the proper cements and delicate, precise clamping. If you've never tried it before, don't start with this set. You won't have enough experience to do it right.

Finding someone to do it is like finding someone to restore a painting. I can't name anyone who does grips, but I have seen many more poor jobs than good ones.

I'd leave them alone. Put them away until you find the right person.

M

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Gattaca, I have had these Grip4U on my 1940 PPK for a long time & they are perfect. The new ones, I believe, are a little thicker. My original grips are near perfect, but developed a small crack 1/4" long that is very hard to see. I did epoxy a paper thin piece of brass on the inside to stop further cracking. Mike is right on leave them alone, but I do a lot of fine model work & did not think that would hurt them as it can be removed from the inside. Do not get any epoxy on the outside of the grip.

On the pre war PPK's it does take a little work on the inside to fit them, but it is easy. Al of my grips fit any PPK, as I have done a little work on them. Marschall also make a nice PPK grip.

·
Registered
611 Posts
I do not think speed of delivery will factor in,they are both quick. I believe when you get them,you will be very happy with them.Looking at your factory grips,please do as the experts write and put them up until you have contact with an experienced repair person.Best of luck.

·
Registered
126 Posts
F-Bond Accelerator and F-Bond (thin, maybe medium) Alkyl Cyanoacrylate Ester. Be sure to practice on amount for your application. Get you a flat board with wax paper sheet. Attach stops and a wedge so crack disappears with very light pressure. If crack disappears use thin grade Bond. Now and only after doing what I said, apply bond and wedge.

https://www.freemansupply.com/datasheets/F-Bond.pdf

Reactions: pilkguns and gene 1
1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.