Walther Forums banner

Cracked Magazine Base Plates - What's the trend?

• I have experienced a cracked base plate in a 9mm magazine

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have experienced a cracked base plate in a .40 S&W magazine

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • I have never had a cracked base plate (at least 500 rds)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "junk magazine" thread has me wondering...is there a trend in the base plate problems? On the surface it sounds like most (if not all) of the problems are with the .40 S&W. This poll is just to satisfy my curiosity in a somewhat quantifiable way.

If you post a reply, please be sure to indicate what caliber you have (and how many rounds before failure, if known)!

Thanks!
Jim

·
Registered
821 Posts
03 .40 S&W. Approximately 250 rounds before first magazine buttplate breakage. 2nd magazine buttplate broke the very next two shots!

S&W said the plates were on backorder from Germany, and after some fussing, they agreed to send out new magazines if I would send the defective ones back. Haven't tried out the new ones yet, but I can tell you, the plastic looks to be a slightly darker color than my old baseplates. Hopefully, they'll hold up all right.

BTW, they are the 10 round magazines...

-stunks

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
All my .40 P99's are older than the '03's, when this problem first started to appear. I've never had a problem. I think I've got at least 15 .40 magazines.

Is this inherent only to the 10 rounders or are the 11 and 12 rounders effected also?

·
Registered
18 Posts
A co-worker of mine just told me this week, his new .40 S&W magazine floorplate broke while he was at the range. He got the Hi-cap mag from Walther after buying the pistol just after the AWB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Picked up my P99 A/S in .40 (serial Nxxxxxxx), manufacture code AD (2004). Both mags were 10 rounders. First mag broke on 10th shot. Second mag made it to 194 rounds (10 rounds per load, 4 were spent when mag broke), butt plate broke, out came piano spring, and follower, and 6 live rounds. Needless to say, as it was my first trip out, and I had only 2 mags...both of which were now in pieces, I was quite pissed. Returned gun to store, they sent it back to Walther. Walther was closed for Easter holiday, but I called them this morning. Mec-Gar apparently had problems with the 10 round .40 mags, stemming from the injection mold process, and a non-consistent mix in the resin used. I am being sent 2 hi cap (12 round) mags at no charge, in addition to the 2 that will be returned with my gun. Can't say I'm happy that I don't have my new toy to shoot right now, but it's nice to have a customer service department that recognizes problems, and makes good on them. I considered a Steyr M40 when I was looking at the P99, but due to their spotty importation/customer service status, I am glad now that I went with the P99. I mean yeah, it sucks the big one, but hey, I'll be up $100 when I get my gun and the 2 hi-caps.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Previous post is incorrect. I had been readin too many P22 forums (.40 is spendy for me to shoot all the time, got 2 kids). Gun serial is 4xxxxx, AD date code.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts