Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Today I took a 32acp ZM PPK to the range. Cases showed symptoms of overpressure, which was strange as I was using the same ammo I had used before with no issues, namely Sellier & Bellot fmjs and my trusty handloads which have run smoothly for years in various of my 32acp pistols.

Upon closer examinatio, I noticed that the firing pin is in a recess or countersunk. This space plays a nasty trick on the primer.

I checked the other PPs and PPKs and none of them have this recess around the firing pin. I tried the rest of my handloads on another pistol, no prblems at all.

Could someone please shed some light? Serial number of the pistol is 247571.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Overpressure primers....actually...its something else

This is how the primers looked like.
The bottom two are Sellier, next two with the blown primer are my handloads (not normally loaded hot at all, chrono at 750-760fps) and the topmost one, the only one looking normal, is my handload (same batch) shot from a CZ61 Skorpion.

Attachments

·
Registered
863 Posts
One shows a countersunk recess at the breach and the other shows flush. Even the loaded chamber indicators look different. The countersunk breach is not right and should be flush like your last photo. Looks like it has been modified for some reason. No wonder you are getting blown primers.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
.....Looks like it has been modified for some reason. ...
Clearly it was done deliberately. But why? Somebody's attempt to undo a de-activation (welding up of firing pin hole)?

That slide is toast. Though I suppose a good machinist could thread and bush it...

M

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm guessing that someone decided to fit the breech face with a "firing pin bushing" for reasons unknown. At some point the bushing separated from the breech face.

A really good gunsmith might be able to fix this by welding up the "counter sink" and drilling a new channel or by making a new bushing and silver soldering it in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts