Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m new to forum, so please excuse if I don’t do this right!
Walther PP, 7.65 requires what ammo? Have been told 32ACP, 32Auto, etc. My LGS doesn’t even carry this caliber because it’s not “popular”. Also, someone gave me a box of old Winchester
32Auto rounds...is this ok? Waiting for CCL to come through, so want to be ready for training range. Thanks for any advice/wisdom!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Walther PP, 7.65 requires what ammo? Have been told 32ACP, 32Auto, etc. My LGS doesn’t even carry this caliber because it’s not “popular”. Also, someone gave me a box of old Winchester
32Auto rounds...is this ok? Waiting for CCL to come through, so want to be ready for training range. Thanks for any advice/wisdom!
Check gun broker - most LGS’s won’t carry this and you’ll probably have to order online. Online is pretty sold out too so you may have to pay a premium :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,203 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
If you look around at gun shows, or online, you may come across foreign-manufactured ammo that’s labeled 7.65mm. That is the European name for the .32 Auto, but be aware that you need the 7.65mm Browning round. There are others, like the 7.65mm Parabellum, which PPU mentioned above also sells and which is an entirely different caliber.

·
Registered
9,715 Posts
And here is what .32 ACP rounds look like. The rear of the rim sticks out slightly from the side of the case. If you run into some .32 rounds with a large rim....those were for revolvers. BTW, the .32 ACP or 7.65mm is the caliber the PP pistol was originally designed for. Very pleasant to shoot too. 1917

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you should attempt to reload this caliber (which not many in the US seem to do) you may find variations in case wall thickness and bullet diameter which make it impossible to get good bullet retention or, at the other extreme, a round that will chamber easily.

·
Registered
27 Posts
If you look around at gun shows, or online, you may come across foreign-manufactured ammo that’s labeled 7.65mm. That is the European name for the .32 Auto, but be aware that you need the 7.65mm Browning round. There are others, like the 7.65mm Parabellum, which PPU mentioned above also sells and which is an entirely different caliber.
I sold my PP chambered in 7.65 when I bought one of the new fort smith. What a mistake? .380 isn’t unpleasant but that 7.65 shot like a dream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,302 Posts
You can find .32 ammo online or by special order through your LGS. My PP and PPK have cycled every brand I have used, but foreign brands like PPU and S&B run a bit hotter, which those vintage guns seem to like. People in the know on the WF generally prefer .32 (or .22) to the more rappy .380 in the PP-series pistols, at least for fun at the range. YMMV

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
I've shot 71gr FMJ WWB and Remington-UMC through my PP and a variety of other .32 ACP pistols with good results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over the years, I've loaded north of 6,000 rounds for this cartridge. I never ran into any kind of variance in cases or bullet diameter. They are very easy to load, small capacity doesn't take much powder. Good round to shoot because it is very pleasant and accurate. I've run them through 3 different Walther pistols, 1 PPK and 2 PP's. All were great. It's not really high up on most people's list for a self defense round, but I'm not sure how much enthusiasm a bad guy would have if he took 2-3 of the little 71 grain bullets. I think they would be more than adequately discouraged. I have carried the pistols but with factory Winchester Silver Tips for the round. Gold Dots, if you can find them, would be great. Here's hoping you enjoy your pistol!
If you should attempt to reload this caliber (which not many in the US seem to do) you may find variations in case wall thickness and bullet diameter which make it impossible to get good bullet retention or, at the other extreme, a round that will chamber easily.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My best luck has been with Winchester Silvertips 32ACP. I've had my LOE turn in PP for 35 years and it still runs great. The Silvertips have a bit more punch so I don't get the stovepiping issues I had with cheap ammo. Mine was manufactured in Ulm in 1962 and was used by Hesse police.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the Walther PP. 32 Cal. . 32 ACP/AUTO works fine. I lean towards Fiocchi red or blue box and Aguila. The Aguiila is the cheaper of them and I prefer Aguila for my Tomcats because of the lower muzzel energy. Tomcats have a propensity for cracked frames due to higher muzzel energy ammo. Beretta recomends less than 130lbs muzzel energy for the Tomcats. The PP is a great gun, so smooth and the trigger reset is right there! have fun!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Apart from WWB I have been using PMC Bronze 71gr in the PP my pop brought back from the war. PMC runs thru it fine. I have some Fiocchi 73 gr (red) but haven't used it. May not, as it runs a bit hotter
pp and ammo.jpg
ppandholster.JPG
49c385f9.JPG
( I wonder if it's still good )

·
Super Moderator
7,257 Posts
Concur with Stormy', not a bad round to reload. It is one of those cases where you really save money by reloading.
There was an issue with a (Lee) sizing die that a Dillon die rectified.
One caveat when shooting anything but ball; HP rounds are shorter overall, and more prone to rimlock.
The Seecamp .32 was designed with a shorter magazine that would shoot only Silvertips to avoid the issue.
Moon
ETA- Welcome aboard, Caydoc.
M

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Magtec case seems to be sized for the around .311 bullet which they use. I can't size it [Hornady] small enough to retain a .308 bullet, which is mostly what I can get here (S & B). The Magtec bullet worked OK, while they were available. Wish they were, again. Hirtenberger, Geco, S & B, all OK with the .308, W-W seems not to retain them, though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts