Walther Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always liked the look of the COP .357. I've also fondled one, and from that experience I consider it a solution in search of a problem. It cost more, weighed more, and held fewer rounds than .38 snubbies of the same era that would readily serve as superior holdout pieces, and, yet, someone made and sold the COP.

The one I was able to put my hands on some years back was just … neat. Sure, the trigger pull was stupidly heavy … and the sights sucked ... but everything about it screamed quality. It was also heavy enough that I suspect it'd be a joy to shoot (heavy trigger weight, aside) with .38 … and probably be tolerable with .357.

To me, it's sort of a collectible oddity … one that wasn't produced in huge numbers. I put it alongside old school pepperbox guns in my mind, as I find those fascinating, too.

Does anyone own one who can give me their thoughts on the pistol from having owned and fired it? I'd love to know more, as I'm considering trying to scare one up.

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Been reflecting on this since you first posted; they do look interesting, but heavy for what they are. Might be fun for grits and shins, but can't truly see any practical purpose.
Any on Gunbroker? What kind of numbers are they commanding these days?
Good luck,
Moon

·
Registered
208 Posts

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I can't knock ANYONE for the price they're willing to pay for a "novelty" firearm. I almost bought one of these last year......

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/834591664

.......finally purchased a stainless/ported 50AE Mk XIX Deagle for less then 1/3rd the price.

I bought a P5 Lang too, those in glass houses........

·
Super Moderator
7,356 Posts
Dear heavens, Deutsch.... Glad you didn't rise to that bait.
Grand and a half for the COP, ouch.
Moon

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
Looks to be well made, but an expensive paperweight in a paperless society. ;)

Reactions: PPS1980

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
I, for one, don't have the time or money to waste on oddities like that when there are so many practical firearms that I have yet to experience.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I had looked at one and the trigger weight and characteristics are terrible. The gun also has a poor reputation for reliability and spare parts are nowhere to be found. I passed the last one I handled. It was $600.

·
Super Moderator
3,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The LGS had one listed on consignment at $1100. Too much for me to spend on it, but if one came through in decent shape at $600 I'd have bought it, as I like oddities … and at $600 I'd always be able to get my money out of it -- if nothing else because they've been in so many movies.

The fact that it was a solution in search of a problem is likely why there aren't many of them around...

Reactions: GeoNole94

·
Premium Member
8,647 Posts
Personally I like a Bond Arms 45 derringer. What little I know of the COP 357 leads me to say save your money for something better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts