Walther Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard that the P-99 can be converted to double action only and would like to know if anyone has done that and what your opinion on it is. Is it a simple conversion that most gumsmiths can do or should I find one who specializes in working on Walthers. Also once it is done can it be converted back to the way it originally was, if needed.

Thank You
Joe

·
Registered
356 Posts
Why would one want to rid themselves of the P99's outstanding SA trigger? For me, that's one of the most outstanding features of this pistol. The standard SA/DA P99 outsells the DAO versions (P990 and P99 QA) ten to one, and for a reason.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lunde

While I agree that the P99's SA trigger is outstanding, I just prefer double action only. I would have purchased a P990 but I could not find one in my area, so I bought the P99 as I read somewhere that it could be converted to double action only.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Nothing new !

Just remove the support and (striker) catch levers out of the firing control unit et voila ... a P99 converted into a P990. I would recommend to have the job done by a skilled gun smith because, although the removal of the firing control unit is not difficult, the partial and proper disassembly of the firing control unit itself could be more difficult (small parts, springs etc..). Also check out the liability consequences before having the gun modified. To turn the P990 back into a P99, just install the removed parts again !

PS : I wonder if a factory made P990 could be transformed into a P99 by purchasing and installing the same support and catch, together with their springs. I think it can be done.

Keep it safe !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
E.T.

Thank you for the reply and I will try to find a skilled gunsmith in my area. What liability consequences are you refering to? I would think that converting it to double action only would be beneficial as it eliminates the possibility of a single action accidental discharge.

·
Registered
306 Posts
As a European I can only tell that a substantial modification of any gun(even by a professional gun smith) will void the warranty from the manufacturer and the proof house and that in case of an event (accidental discharge) you're on your own. Therefore better check your local laws and talk to your insurance broker before !

·
Registered
306 Posts
I meant that in my opinion it's technically possible to convert a DAO P990 into a SA/DA P990, regardless of the fact that the P990 doesn't have the decocker like the P99 (which we all know) and which part is not strictly required to have the P990 work in SA mode. Only requirement is that the striker has the same design (cams) as the P99's and the firing control unit allows for the installation of the two levers. On the other hand, dismantling (and decocking of the striker prior to dismantling) of the SA/DA P990 should only be possible by pulling the trigger of the unloaded gun, which is not favourable.

Also bear in mind that a P99 turned into a DAO P99 still features the decocker which of course then has become pretty useless.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (E.T. @ July 28 2003,12:56)]...PS : I wonder if a factory made P990 could be transformed into a P99 by purchasing and installing the same support and catch, together with their springs. I think it can be done.

Keep it safe !  
How would you de-cock it?

Opps. Sorry, I should have read a couple more posts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts