Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to convert my existing 9mm PPQ M2 15-round mags to 10-round mags because I live in the People's Republic of New Jersey. Per the law, the change has to be "permanent", such as by welding, rivets, or using epoxy, but I'd very much like to be able to disassemble the magazines after they have been modified, so that I can clean them or repair them as needed (such as replacing the springs when they wear out, etc.). So here's what I did...

I bought a single Walther factory 10-round mag with the dimples that limit the capacity to 10-rounds. I bought it from the Walther online store (ppq-m2-9mm-10-round). It cost $42, plus $14 shipping, and you can only buy one at a time, so the actual cost is $56 each. Yikes!

Since I'm not aware of another way of doing the 15-to-10 modification that still allows disassembly, I decided to emulate what Walther did. I put a "drop" of JB Weld inside the mag body at the same place where the dimples are on the 10-round mag.

This worked great, except the modified mag would only take 6 rounds, because the spring would catch on the bumps, rather than the ammunition itself. Struggling to see how my modification failed when the Walther dimples worked, I started swapping components. The followers, base plates, and bases are interchangeable, but it turns out that the springs are significantly different! The 15-round springs have 3 smaller coils at the top, and 4th coil is much larger. The 10-round springs start with smaller coils at the top, but the coils get wider gradually, with no big "step" at the 4th coil. Also, the 10-round springs have one extra coil at the bottom.

With the 10-round spring, both mags work as expected, and hold 10 rounds. With the 15-round spring, my modified mag holds 6 rounds pretty much every time, and the dimpled factory mag sometimes gets to 10 rounds (although you can hear the spring catching on the dimples and then sproing-ing loudly when forced past them), but sometimes gets hung up before you get all 10 rounds in there. And if loading the mag is like that, you know feeding problems are sure to follow, when the spring catches on the dimples and thus isn't pushing up on the follower consistently. That's a reliability issue no one needs.

Ok, so the obvious solution is to buy some of the 10-round magazine springs, and use those instead of the 15-round springs. But that is easier said than done, because I could not find the part number for that magazine anywhere. Earl's said they could order them from Germany for $18 each plus $15 shipping, but they wouldn't confirm that they would, for sure, be the special 10-round springs. I wasn't interested in paying that kind of money to maybe get the right spring. An email to Walther's customer support inbox went unanswered.

A phone call to Walther's parts department was helpful, however. It took them a loooong time, but they eventually tracked down that spring. The part number for the PPQ 9mm M2 10-round magazine spring is 2618257. They said it's a borrowed part from a P99 magazine. At any rate, they had them in stock for $7.50 each. I ordered 6 of them, and with shipping, the total was $58 (the price of a single 10-round complete mag). I haven't received them yet, but, assuming they are the correct springs, I'm cautiously optimistic that it will work.

Pictures showing the 10-round and 15-round springs side-by-side can be found here:
http://guns.dsttr.com/img/WaltherMags_15vs10_allparts_IMG_20180919_202946.jpg
http://guns.dsttr.com/img/WaltherMags_15vs10_spring1_IMG_20180919_203008.jpg
http://guns.dsttr.com/img/WaltherMags_15vs10_spring2_IMG_20180919_203027.jpg
The 10-round spring is on the left, the 15-round spring is on the right (in all 3 photos).

If anyone would like more details on how to do this modification (exactly where to put the drops of JB Weld and how big they should be, etc.), let me know, and I'll write that up. Otherwise, I just wanted to make people aware that the springs are different, and let everyone know what the part number is for the 10-round spring (and maybe see if anyone else has tried this already).

Cheers,
Dave

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Trade with someone!!!

There is a guy on here who posted that he accidentally bought the wrong gun and has 10 round mags by misstake.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Trade with someone!!!

There is a guy on here who posted that he accidentally bought the wrong gun and has 10 round mags by misstake.
For sure. If anyone has Walther factory 9mm PPQ M2 10-round magazines that they would like to trade for the 15-round versions, please let me know. I'd be willing to trade. Mine are all used, but 100% functional.

Dave

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’m all for tinkering a solution but this would seem to be the easy/cheap button.
Magblock Limiters for Walther Pistols
Oh, I completely agree. If I could just throw one of those in each mag, and call it done, that's exactly what I'd do. But I don't think that counts as a "permanent" modification. To make that permanent, you have to epoxy it in place. But then you cannot disassemble the mag to clean it or replace the spring when it wears out.

I suppose if you only epoxied it to the metal base plate (as opposed to the mag body), it might work ok. You might not be able to replace the spring (without mangling the new spring as you're putting it on), but at least you could disassemble it to clean it.

Dave

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh, I completely agree. If I could just throw one of those in each mag, and call it done, that's exactly what I'd do. But I don't think that counts as a "permanent" modification. To make that permanent, you have to epoxy it in place. But then you cannot disassemble the mag to clean it or replace the spring when it wears
I epoxied them to the underside of the orange follower. Now follower isn’t replaceable but mags disassemble just fine.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I epoxied them to the underside of the orange follower. Now follower isn’t replaceable but mags disassemble just fine.
In the second photo at Walther PPQ M2 10 Round Magazine Capacity Limiters

It shows the mag block at the bottom, and it appears that the base of the magblock is larger than the bottom-most coil of the spring (which makes sense, so that it is held down by the spring). So, how does that work if you epoxied it to the bottom of the follower? Did you cut off the corners of the magblock? How do you get the spring to separate from the follower with that block in there?

I'm trading 3 mags with jbb303, but I still have others that I need to modify, and epoxying some kind of post to the bottom of the follower was my backup plan, in case the JB Weld bumps didn't work out, so I'm very interested in how you got it to work.

Dave

P.S. Having written that, now I'm wondering... does that magblock come as 2 pieces, and you just used the vertical piece, and ignored the base?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update on my modification with the 2 JB Weld bumps and the 10-round springs (part number 2618257) from Walther.

First, the bad news. Part number 2618257 is a magazine spring, but it is NOT the magazine spring that came with my 9mm PPQ M2 10-round Walther factory magazine. Part number 2618257 is shorter (it is the same length as a PPQ 15-round magazine, and thus 1 coil shorter than the spring that came in the 10-round mag). Part number 2618257 is also bent up at the top; about halfway around the first coil, it is noticeable bent up, causing the spring to not sit properly in the bottom of the follower, like PPQ mag springs do. I'm a bit disappointed with Walther's Customer Service guys now... they seemed pretty sure that this was the correct part.

Now, the good news. I bent the top coil down to a normal position using pliers, and it works fine in both the factory 10-round magazine, and my modified magazine with the JB Weld bumps. It works, because, just like the spring in the factory 10-round mag, (and unlike the 15-round spring) the coils on part number 2618257 increase in diameter gradually.

Now my modified mag accepts 10 rounds (and no more), and the spring doesn't catch on the bumps. I haven't tried it in live fire yet, but loading and unloading the magazine works as expected now. I'll post an update after I've had a chance to try it with live fire.

Dave

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
It shows the mag block at the bottom, and it appears that the base of the magblock is larger than the bottom-most coil of the spring (which makes sense, so that it is held down by the spring). So, how does that work if you epoxied it to the bottom of the follower? Did you cut off the corners of the magblock? How do you get the spring to separate from the follower with that block in there?

P.S. Having written that, now I'm wondering... does that magblock come as 2 pieces, and you just used the vertical piece, and ignored the base?
Looks like MagBlocks has different versions. I used the P99/PPQ one. I didn’t have to modify the block at all, spring slips over the block. Walther P99 10 Round Magazine Capacity Limiters

The one you linked to looks like it would work the same way just epoxied to the metal base instead of the follower.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I tried some of the mag blockers early this year. They worked great in my XDM-Competition, but not too well in my PPQ M2's. At that time, they were specked for the M1 mags (not M2's). Does a more compatible version of mag blocker now exist for the 15 R 9mm PPQ M2 mags to convert them to 10?

·
Registered
58 Posts
For some reason, I keep thinking that beretta mags work in the PPQ with a bit of modification, but I can't find anything online to support that.
BUT.... while I was looking, I did find these- https://www.tombstonetactical.com/catalog/walther/2796651-magazine-ppq-m2-9mm-10-rounds-black/
31.81 each, with 10 dollars shipping regardless of the order.
Dunno if that's something ya might consider.
Hum, that is one strange looking base-pad, the Walther Factory pics do not look like those at all. I don't really care how they look, but wonder if these mags are factory-spec and 100% reliable. They do show the same manufacturer's part # though...Is Tombstone Tactical a reputable outlet (I have never dealt with them)?

·
Premium Member
14,302 Posts
Combat, MANY times internet sellers will post the wrong picture....MANY times. Don't rely on the picture. BTW the picture they're using on the Tombstone site is of a factory Walther 15 round magazine....the base plate is the factory baseplate used on their 9mm 15 round and 40 S&W 12 round magazines, which will add an additional 2 rounds.

If you want to search, try to search using the UPC code for the item your interested in. I use google for this type of search. Just go to google, type in the UPC.

Here ya go, I just did that. https://www.google.com/search?sourc....1j1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.....0.RfXwBha99f0

You want the 'gun.deals' link....see below.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/723364200458

·
Registered
58 Posts
Combat, MANY times internet sellers will post the wrong picture....MANY times. Don't rely on the picture. BTW the picture they're using on the Tombstone site is of a factory Walther 15 round magazine....the base plate is the factory baseplate used on their 9mm 15 round and 40 S&W 12 round magazines, which will add an additional 2 rounds.

If you want to search, try to search using the UPC code for the item your interested in. I use google for this type of search. Just go to google, type in the UPC.

Here ya go, I just did that. https://www.google.com/search?sourc....1j1......0....1j2..gws-wiz.....0.RfXwBha99f0

You want the 'gun.deals' link....see below.

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/723364200458
Thank you Sir! Plenty of leads to work with there :).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts