Walther Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a walther P990, which is basically the same thing as a P99 DAO (double action only). It has a constant, long double action pull trigger that is about 9-10 lbs for every shot.

My question is, does anybody know if you can convert a DAO version to a AS or QA trigger ? I uderstand that since the slide has no decocker, that could be an issue, but I am wondering if there are [any] options here... (other than the obvious sell and re-buy option which for now, I am not interested in).

I assume that a competent gunsmith might be able to do this, but I'd like to hear from anybody who has experience doing this or something similar, or knows enough about the slide assembly to comment.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
It is not worth the cost.
Are you in the US or in Germany? If you are in Germany it migh be cheaper for you to buy a new slide and change the internal frame parts... but not if you are in the US.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in the Pennsylvania, so the good ole USA.

Is there any source of parts in the US that a skilled smithy could acquire to do such a conversion? If I could buy parts over time to do it, that would be kinder to my budget.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Here's my thought... sell your 990. Even if you can get the parts, you could be easily looking at $80-150 for the trigger assembly, the firing assembly, etc etc.

If you sold your 990 for some basement price like $350-400, and added $100 of your own - well, now you're about equal on funds (that you would have spent out of pocket on a modification) and can just purchase a QA or AS.

I know you mentioned that it wasn't the solution you want, but financially it's about the same thing.

thorn

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you look at the math, this is wisdom :)

As of today, the deal is done, and I have a NIB $439 P99QA on its way from CDNN.

Thanx for the feedback + advice. I will post pics when I get it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It happened mostly b/c i am impatient :) I found a good deal and jumped on it, and have somebody who I know will give me an acceptable amount for my 990.

Its the USA, so unfortunately for my budget, once I see what I want, I go for it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts