Walther Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to convert a P990 to a 99QA?

Or, smooth out the DA only on the trigger. I bought this years ago and it is a fun gun I just don't shoot it much due to the DA only and is very rough. I bought it on a whim at a gun show many years ago. it is was an import marked by Carl Walther, Alexandria, VA so I do not know if this is before S&W not that it matters.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
All of the major parts, other than the frame itself, are different in the P990 and the P99QA. You'd have to lay the two side by side and see if the parts would interchange. Even if you could, the cost of the sear housing, striker, trigger assembly, and slide (if you want a decocker), would likely cost more than just purchasing another P99.

·
Registered
96 Posts
EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!! I do have one question though...

During reassembly is there any trick to getting the slide stop SPRING and locking block back into the frame?

(someone i spoke to at smith & wesson once upon a time, implied they have a special jig/tool to do this and didn't recommend i do it myself? but the did want me to send the pistol to them... i feel i'm probably over qualified for disassembly and reassembly but i still don't want to get myself in a bind.)

[just realized i meant to post this in the link IAOF posted.]

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
EXACTLY WHAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR!! I do have one question though...

During reassembly is there any trick to getting the slide stop SPRING and locking block back into the frame?

(someone i spoke to at smith & wesson once upon a time, implied they have a special jig/tool to do this and didn't recommend i do it myself? but the did want me to send the pistol to them... i feel i'm probably over qualified for disassembly and reassembly but i still don't want to get myself in a bind.)

[just realized i meant to post this in the link IAOF posted.]
No tricks involved. For disassembly/reassembly, go watch some PPQ, Apex trigger install videos.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks IAOF! You sir, are a generous wealth of knowledge.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thanks again!

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Another question, different pistol..
SW99c
What is this do-hickey with the spring and two levers attached to the side of the sear housing? (See pic) thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Does anyone know what this is and what it came out of?

Balance, IAOF, you both seem to have some pretty extensive knowledge of the p99 variants.

Magazine drop FC safety?
(If so)
Can it be removed without consequences?

Are 1st Gen sear housing not interchangeable with 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen? (If not, where was the change made?)

Is my research correct in assuming 99 and 99c internal/removable PARTS ARE INTERCHANGABLE between (2nd, 3rd, 4th Gen) SW99 & P99 & MR9 except the locking block and RSA?
(9mm lower frame and slide/barrel components manufactured by Walther all variants)

I'm looking for a trigger and sear housing for a p99 frame (maybe '08) and slide (currently SW99, but new maybe Brownells? Or Walther arms or anywhere I can find one... Hence next question.)

Extra points question:
SW99 slide p99 threaded barrel.
Is the gap between the muzzle of the slide and the barrel a health hazard? (JK, but seriously, will it function? Be accurate?)

Sincerely,
-Wannabe gunsmith apprentice

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,298 Posts
djmg, I can't answer all those cross 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th gen/variation questions. I DO believe that there are some differences in the sear housings. I know the original P99s used a series of pins of different lengths to serve as the trigger bar guide. Later variations used an pivoting arm. Don't have any idea if the housings are swap-able between variations.

The person to ask is 'Earl'.

Not THIS Earl.

THIS Earl. Earl's Repair Service. Walther Firearms and Accessories, Earl's Repair Service Inc. - Home Page

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hahaha, love that show! Ok, I'll have ask Earl.
Any idea what that lever on the exterior side of the sear housing might be?
Thanks for the reply!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
It could be the DAO sear housing.

Is there a notch on the slide that pushes that tab down as the slide slides to the rear? It may be a disconnect to keep the trigger bar disconnected until the trigger resets.

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
It might also be a switch for the windshield wipers.

My experience with these cross-dressed conversions is that they are a fairly reliable route to unanticipated problems. For every one that worked as expected, nine others proved unsatisfactory, or were more expensive than just buying a new gun.

Just sayin'.....

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
My experience with these cross-dressed conversions is that they are a fairly reliable route to unanticipated problems. For every one that worked as expected, nine others proved unsatisfactory, or were more expensive than just buying a new gun.
I agree with you, and said almost as much in post #3.

But I would like to know exactly what that part does. I've never seen a DAO model disassembled. I've always been curious as to why there is a rounded notch on the slide of some DAO models around that area though. I assume it is some sort of disconnector, but if someone here can satisfy my curiosity, please do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts