Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I'm the happy owner of a P99 in 9mm and am now contemplating purchasing one in 40S&W... here's my question:

I've owned a Glock 22 and sold it because after running a few hundred rounds through it at the range a couple of times, my wrist ached. I just couldn't get used to the angle on the grip and the "blocky-ness" of the grip bothered my inner thumb area. I'm a believer that a lot of range shooting helps to 1) assess reliability and performance of pistol and ammo, 2) increases marksmanship, and 3) aids development of gun-handling skills (oh, and 4 - IT'S FUN!). So my pistol has to be comfortable to shoot or it's soon out on the consignment pile.

Any of you have comments on the "shootability" of your P99's in 40
I'm also looking at SIG's such as P229 or SP2340 but since I like the P99 in 9mm so much, I am leaning in that direction. Thanks for your input!

--jazzbass62

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a Smith & Wesson 99/40 and it is by far the most comfortable .40 I have ever shot.

Besides most Glock KB's happen in their .40's...I just do not trust the Glock .40 cals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, thanks for the replies... I'm now much more enthused about getting the P99 in 40. There's one of those Olive drab military style Walthers down at a local shop (bearing the Deutsch proof marks on barrel, slide et al)... it's $529 NIB. I'll let you know if I pick it up.

--jazzbass62

·
Registered
555 Posts
JB, is there any way they'd let you shoot a few boxes through it first? If not, and if you're in NJ, I'd be happy to meet up with you at a range, so you can spend some time with a 9mm, and get a feel for it.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I own a P99 in .40 and have put 200-250 rounds through it in a single range session on several occasions. I'm not a really big guy, and this is my first handgun. That being said, I have had no problems shooting that many rounds through the gun at a time, no sore wrists...nothing. In fact the only thing sending me home from the range is my wallet!! (as a new handgun owner, I'm also learning very quickly where to buy cheap ammo, cause I love shooting this gun A LOT!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Saw a P99 in 40 (w German proof marks) that kBd w PMC 165 FMJ/FP ammo; cracked the frame from locking block along sides to the backstrap. Half moon shaped piece of brass blew out of the case web area. Same ammo did the same to 2 Glocks BTW. I think PMC has a bad batch of ammo out there? ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
broken arrow was that an ammo or out of battery problem? Also did walther take care of it( FIX It)? Damm the 40 pressure spikes fast, I believe this is part of the problem with the 40's. I don't own a Walther P-99 in 40 is the chamber supported at six o'clock?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts