Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my PPQ m2 .40 for about 2 months; I have shot it once a week at the local indoor range trying to become used to it and proficient with it (coming from a 1911). No matter what I do, I can't shoot this PPQ as well as I shoot my 1911, especially past 5yds. So far I have fired about 4-500rds through it, and love the ergonomics and trigger, and general quality and looks of the pistol. So far I have decided that I shoot it best with the small backstrap, and have added Talon rubber grips to it. The Talon grips help me get a good grip, and avoid having to adjust my grip when firing, but regardless of how I grip the gun or concentrate, or try and line up the sights, I cannot manage a decent group at 10 yards. At 5 yards, I can get 2-4 shots touching, in one hole, but one or two shots always will be flyers and destroy my 5shot grouping. Comparatively, with my 1911 I have managed a 5 shot group measuring 1.5" at 20yds, two handed, standing. And do much better with it than my PPQ at all ranges.

Things I have noticed

-the gun has a harsh recoil, especially with 180gr full power loads, compared to 165gr loads, I believe I may have a flinch, but this does not happen when dry firing at home
-the sights don't work well for me. I have pretty bad vision, and the front sight is much too narrow for the wide rear notch. For me this results in more difficulty lining up a good shot, and also it takes a long time to line up a good shot compared to my 1911

I ordered a set of Dawson precision sights to help remedy my sighting issue (.125 front sight width tritium dot, and .125 width notch rear black serrated charger). I just need to work on flinching and trigger control, Like I said it doesn't happen when dry firing at home, only when shooting at the range. I also noticed I get better groups when shooting at small targets, aim small miss small I guess.

Any tips or opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

·
Registered
893 Posts
It's pretty tough to compare a PPQ to a 1911, hell, it's tough to compare any polymer to a 1911.

1911's have significantly better trigger, and more weight, which are going to help with an awful lot of things, and to some extent, help mask some flaws that shooters can develop.

Next time you are at the range, run a Ball & Dummy Drill, if you can arrange it, have someone else load one of your magazines, and randomly put a couple of snap caps in there, you'll figure out if you have a flinch pretty quick once you come across the snap cap.

Either or, don't give up on the PPQ just yet!

·
Registered
226 Posts
The 40 S&W round in factory ammo is quite harsh. It wants to flip the weapon up and to the right making accuracy inconsistent. I started with 40 and quickly went to 9mm and 45acp. Haven't looked back. Unless you are rolling your own for a specified purpose, consider the Q in 9mm. It's way cheaper to feed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will not give up on this PPQ, unless I shoot 1000-2000rds through it and still do not get consistent groups. I should be able to deal with the recoil. I am good enough with it right now that I am deadly up to about 10yds. But with my 1911 I am deadly up to about 30-50yds (meaning headshot capable every shot) maybe even further out

·
Registered
269 Posts
The 40 S&W round in factory ammo is quite harsh. ...
This is a common misconception, especially since the original poster did not mention rapid fire. You can more than easily make one hole at seven yards with a .40. It just needs the usual shooting skills.

Yes, 9mm is cheaper, but there is nothing wrong with .40.

And yes, the PPQ does jump much more than 1911 - that, however, should not affect slow shooting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts