Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New member today, please go easy on me. I've been shooting something or other since I was a Cub Scout when I shot my first firearm, a junior size bolt action .22 rim-fire rifle about half a century ago; been hooked ever since. I currently own a few full size pistols (Sig 229+226, Beretta 92FS compact, Para Ordnance P12 and P13, HK USP, Glock 23 2nd Gen). I did own a stainless PPK/S with gold engraving 20 years ago but sold it, unfortunately.

My main interest is in finding a concealable pistol and recently I've handled (but have not fired) most of the newer Walther pistols, including the PPS M/2. Of all those the one that is small enough to conceal and which fits my hand the best is the CCP.

My major concern is with the negative reviews I've been reading about the CCP, particularly the jamming issues. I do not recall any of my other pistols listed above jamming, ever, not once.

Second minor concern is the trigger; I've heard that at some point since the start of production that Walther started electroplating certain trigger group parts for a smoother trigger pull. Anyone have feedback on that?

Last concern is the use of +P ammo; is this related to the recoil spring in any way, and can a stronger spring be installed to rectify this??

I'm sure most of these questions have been discussed, so sorry if I'm repeating what others have said previously. Basically I like the size and grip of the CCP as well as the operating system which seems to make sense, more accurate, etc. Just not convinced if this pistol will be reliable.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have 1500 rounds through my ccp. Serial number 36xxx. No malfunctions of any kind. Although there have been numerous posters here who have had trouble my guess is they constitute a very small percentage of the total owners.

No doubt some of those were defective and needed work.

For me, this is a great gun. I carry it every day with confidence.

Your mileage may vary but I sure love mine.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Read the threads here carefully, and there are a lot of them. Some folks love their pistols and can't imagine shooting anything else. Others have had nothing but bad luck and are wondering why they bought the thing in the first place. This is true of newer pistols as well as the early ones. If you must have a CCP, be sure to shoot it first, just to make sure it works.

Or ... grab yourself a proven platform, such as the P99C (you can't do better) or the PPS.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
PPS or CCP for concealed carry

I initially was thinking of buying the PPS M2, but the right lower edge of the trigger guard digs into my right index finger. Where the CCP fits my hand like a glove.

One thought I had about the PPS M2 was to file down the edge of the trigger guard where it digs into my finger, so wondering if anyone else has done that?

I've spent a few hours reading posts about the CCP; it seems like Walther has fixed ?? all the problems, but old inventory of pistols with the problems are still sitting on gun dealers shelves. Seems like Walther should do a recall of all those defective pistols??

So is that correct; the latest production CCP's have had the problems fixed? Anyone know what the current serial numbers are up to?

One post I read about an owner who said he sent in his earlier production CCP in to Walther recently and they replaced the entire slide. He reported that he's not had the problems return after that.

·
Registered
351 Posts
In another thread, someone said the changeover between the faulty pistols and the much more reliable ones was around 18,xxx. Buy the newest serial number pistol you can find, and you should be OK. Elguapo has a 36xxx pistol, so anything in that serial number range (or later) should definitely be good to go.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
All fixes applied by Walther over 30,000 serial number?

I wonder if anyone with a recent production pistol (say over 30,000 serial number) had any problems; failure to cycle or feed, or jamming?

Thanks

·
Registered
128 Posts
Buy with confidence. You seem to have experience with handguns, so the minor hang ups folks point out (field strip and trigger feel) should have you wincing too bad. After about a half hour of field stripping and reassembly, you will have the hang of it. The deal with the trigger is mostly the reset. It seems to be a fairly long reset. The only time I've had failure to feed issues at the range have been when I'm trying to empty the mag with rapid fire. If you don't allow the trigger to come back, while trying to fire the next round, the new round has trouble making it to full chamber. This was before I Tetra blasted the rear assembly.

The bottom line is...I absolutely love this gun. My Dad and a good buddy also have the CCP and love theirs as well. I will be acquiring another one. Mine is 22429, Dad is 22430 and my buddy's is 31xxx. No problems from theirs as I instructed them to clean them before the range.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Wondering if anyone has heard about a .40 S&W model being released?
Seriously doubt that will happen, since S&W no longer represents Walther in the US. Walther has set up its own US HQ in Arkansas. Could happen, but it's unlikely.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I haven't heard anything, nor has there really been a plea for a .40 version on the forum. Though I am a fan of the .40 S&W round, I'm thrilled with the CCP as a 9mm. If it's a thin easily concealed .40 you want, the PPS M1 is still avilible and the prices seem to have come down.

·
Registered
844 Posts
A .40 version doesn't seem to make sense. The whole point of the CCP is to have a softer recoil. A more powerful .40 round would just defeat the purpose.

I am also a fan of the .40, but looking at the FBI report, I just decided that the advantages were not worth the costs- in both terms of ammo and recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I wonder if anyone with a recent production pistol (say over 30,000 serial number) had any problems; failure to cycle or feed, or jamming?
Again, read the current threads. We have had reports from folks who have the latest pistols, with upper-end serial numbers, who are experiencing issues with their CCP purchase. If you are tempted to buy one, I would encourage you to give it a thorough test-drive before you plunk down your money ... or to be in a position to wait a week or two while it's shipped back to Walther/Fort Smith for repairs.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Except for cheap, dirty ammo, no issues here. Trigger gets smoother the more you use it, a couple hundred rounds and mine felt great. No +P ammo, do not change springs. If you feel you need +P ammo, choose a different handgun.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Thanks guys for all the responses. I spent a few more hours reading previous posts and after some private message conversations it seems that some design and/or manufacturing bugs might yet be needed to be fixed in the CCP.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Go and shoot one.... I have one of the first ones and I have shot the heck out of mine. I have torn it to pieces and put it back together. I have submerged mine, shot it dirty, and just about any other thing you can do to one, and I have not had any issues. I don't thing that it's as reliable as a PPS, but it's a different animal. My dad has one with 500 rounds and no issues. So...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, thanks for the feedback. There is range near to me that rents pistols, I might give them a call to see if they have a CCP in stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally bit the bullet and picked up a CCP yesterday from Brad's. I was aware of all the criticism and the negatives and all the blah blah.
Unfortunately Brad's had only the dual color with the SS slide. My preference would have been the all black one.... I had shot one previously at WCA and liked the way it shot.
First impression was great, keep in mind this is a sub 450$ gun out the door. It comes in a nice hard plastic case, and the fit and finish seems great. It was well oiled as it showed oil seeping from everywhere. Mags are of great quality as well. I checked it all out, dry fired it and yes, the trigger is gritty and long. I do not mind this for a defensive carry gun. First take down took a bit of time and trial and error, but subsequent attempts were easy to do.
Tried to go to Champion around 10 and there were lines with long waits, went back around 3pm and still had to wait 20 mins before I can finally try my new tool. I was going to break the gun in with about 250 rds of dirty ammo. I had on me 1 box of Federal aluminum 115gr, 3 boxes Blazer aluminum 115gr and the rest were Freedom Ammunition 147gr reloads in brass. I shot all of this in less than 15 mins. Maglula helps!
Verdict, the ergonomics of this gun is unsurpassed. The "dog leg" grip is spectacular for my hands. It is very easy to rack, mag loading and dropping is super easy. And unless you are a purist and one of those snobbish 2lbs triggerpull gurus, you do not even feel the trigger. The gun really shoots very well, and straight. of all the 250 rounds, I had 1 (one) FTE, and that might have been shooter error. The rest of the session was very uneventful, with a perfectly functioning firearm. I shot on a silhouette at 10 yards. No fliers, all shots placed well. One thing though, oil was coming out everywhere from the gun aaaaaand the slide got quite hot.
As for felt recoil, I definitely think it is less than what I am used to with other 9mm guns I have shot. Again, this is very subjective, as is this entire review.
I am very pleased with this Walther arm. I will include it in my daily carry rotation, next to my P938. I used to own a PPX and that trigger was spectacular, but the gun was too big ultimately and gave me too many FTE problems.
I came home, gun is still very warm, I field stripped it, sprayed and cleaned it in less than 10 mins.

In summary, for <450$, this is a spectacular gun, 8+1 rounds, not too light of a trigger. You will not notice trigger issues when you have to use it in a self defense situation, but you WILL notice the accuracy of the gun. I am glad I bought it and plan on keeping it for a long time. This is my 4th 9mm and my best shooting carry gun. My P938 and SCCY CPX-2 both have about a 9-10lbs trigger pull, which I prefer on a carry gun. The CCP has a bit lighter trigger pull, a longer reset, which is fine by me as well for a carry gun, but it fits like a glove and shoots extremely well and precise. Are there perceptibly better guns out there? Probably, but not for my hands. Every gun is a compromise of fit, value and quality. I think Walther has nailed it with the CCP. But to each their own. This is just my 0.02$ contribution for what it's worth.
For range time I use my 1911s with lighter triggers......

·
Registered
64 Posts
One thing though, oil was coming out everywhere from the gun aaaaaand the slide got quite hot..
Great story and glad to hear of your purchase

Only note - which I'm sure you already knew - 250 rds in 15 minutes, there is no way it wouldn't get hot. The hot gases remain in the barrel longer due to the lighter recoil design of the gun. It does tend to make these guys run a little hot.

No worries for normal carry, or even shooting - except maybe 250 rounds in 15 minutes :D

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
86r, great review & it is right on. I feel the same way & I am old and need the light rack & easier recoil. I have owned hundreds of all types of guns & unless it breaks, it is my favorite. No matter what problems they have had, it is a winner design.

It has a very easy racking, It does have a lighter recoil, the mags load easier than any 9 I have had, I have not had one problem with it, other than my first take down, the most comfortable grip I have ever had & on & on. As I said before it is a shame that Walther Ulm did not do this gun from the start as it is a super idea & design.

·
Premium Member
3,394 Posts
I agree that you should fire the pistol as much as you feel is necessary to ensure it fits as you want a pistol to fit in your hands and functions correctly.......with every round you put through it. However, the issue with the CCP as pointed out in hundreds of posts is that the CCP is inherently unreliable regardless of serial number. Inherent, as used in this post, means the absolute number and percentage of design related issues are at a level that would be unacceptable in most quality assurance circles. This is not a range firearm so the real question is whether you are willing to accept a greater risk of failure at exactly the worst moment?

While I do not and have never owned other Walther firearms I have researched and examined several including the P99c which I believe is one of the best available. Of course, there are many other pistols on the market that have long term proven reliability records.

I should have also included the fact that I currently own a CCP, had to return it after the first 100 rounds and have fired another 700 rounds without incident. The CCP will never be used for conceal carry by me or my wife....and she really enjoys shooting it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts