Walther Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story is my Grandfather shipped this gun back when he was in Germany during WWII. The posts I have read say there should be a 5 digit serial number with a P. Mine has 6 and no P. I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII. He wasn’t there afterwards though... any help or information or guidance would be appreciated. Here are pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII.
Welcome to the forum.

The "Zella-Mehlis (Thur)" on the left side of the slide tells us it can't be postwar. The 90° safety narrows it down to pre-1937. After that Walther went to the 60° safety.

It's got some obvious wear to the finish but should make a good shooter. Just remember that if anything happens to the safety it will be a difficult part to replace.

Are there any markings on the back of the holster ?

·
RIP/Member Emeritus
690 Posts
As was already pointed out, it is a pre-war commercial PP.

This says nothing about who carried it and from whom or where your grandfather acquired it, however.

German officers were “Selbsteinkleider”, a fancy German word meaning they purchased their own uniforms and personal kit, including off-battlefield sidearms. Until 1940 these were directly privately purchased and thus unmarked.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Story is my Grandfather shipped this gun back when he was in Germany during WWII. The posts I have read say there should be a 5 digit serial number with a P. Mine has 6 and no P. I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII. He wasn’t there afterwards though... any help or information or guidance would be appreciated. Here are pics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There was NO shipping it back.

Your grandfather brought it back with him as a war trophy, and completed the forms for that event. I've even seen description and serial numbers of
captured trophies on discharge papers !

OR ! he stuffed it in his duffle, and some how got it back undetected.

KEEP IT ! ! ! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.