Walther Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Story is my Grandfather shipped this gun back when he was in Germany during WWII. The posts I have read say there should be a 5 digit serial number with a P. Mine has 6 and no P. I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII. He wasn’t there afterwards though... any help or information or guidance would be appreciated. Here are pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII.
Welcome to the forum.

The "Zella-Mehlis (Thur)" on the left side of the slide tells us it can't be postwar. The 90° safety narrows it down to pre-1937. After that Walther went to the 60° safety.

It's got some obvious wear to the finish but should make a good shooter. Just remember that if anything happens to the safety it will be a difficult part to replace.

Are there any markings on the back of the holster ?

·
Registered
496 Posts
As was already pointed out, it is a pre-war commercial PP.

This says nothing about who carried it and from whom or where your grandfather acquired it, however.

German officers were “Selbsteinkleider”, a fancy German word meaning they purchased their own uniforms and personal kit, including off-battlefield sidearms. Until 1940 these were directly privately purchased and thus unmarked.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
By the way, do not store the pistol in the holster long term, it will accelerate external corrosion/pitting of the pistol.

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Yep, mid to late 1936. Pre war ;)

·
Registered
196 Posts
Story is my Grandfather shipped this gun back when he was in Germany during WWII. The posts I have read say there should be a 5 digit serial number with a P. Mine has 6 and no P. I thought that someone said that was indication that it was post WWII. He wasn’t there afterwards though... any help or information or guidance would be appreciated. Here are pics.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
There was NO shipping it back.

Your grandfather brought it back with him as a war trophy, and completed the forms for that event. I've even seen description and serial numbers of
captured trophies on discharge papers !

OR ! he stuffed it in his duffle, and some how got it back undetected.

KEEP IT ! ! ! :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks everyone for the input. It is very helpful in helping me learn the past of this gun. Feel free to continue leaving any information that might be helpful. Happy New Year!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts