Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
None of this will be a surprise to the regulars here, but any lurkers or undecided Walther buyers might find this helpful...

Back in the spring of this year I bought a P99 AS on a whim. Hey, it's the James Bond gun right? :D

I played around with it for awhile, even thought about selling it, because, I dunno, somehow it just didn't, well, "click" with me.

So I stuck it in the safe, and since then have paid way more than the Walther for other guns, including a Sig "Elite" 226, and a Beretta 92 "Special Duty".

Ya know what? Ain't nothin' Elite about the Sig or Special about the Beretta. Both are nice guns, but at almost twice the price of the P99, they just don't compare.

Especially regarding trigger pulls. After some live shooting and lots of dry firing the new guns, I pulled the Walther out and gave it's DA trigger a pull.

Holy crap :eek: It was so much lighter and smoother it safely went CLICK almost before I knew it!

I've been wanting a P99c, just couldn't decide between the AS or QA. I'll be ordering an AS shortly.

Anyone who might come across this post undecided about the P99, seriously, just get one, they are the best kept secret in the handgun market! ;)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Sadly many people don't see it the way we do.....
Congrats on reexploring the P99 and it's sweet trigger :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
nice report brian,i like.

my jealous p7m8 whispers to me: but i cost you a little more than twice as much and you've always liked my trigger.

to which my walther replies: my predecessors were in action before yours were even a gleam in someones eyes.

me: bunch of snobish lot they are,hahahaha.::D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I finally broke down and bought some snap caps so I could get some practice dry firing my pistols. I must say, my P99 AS has a much better trigger than my Sig P226 Navy model, in both double and single action. It was a real eye opener to compare the two side by side.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My P99 is my "keeper" gun. I will never sell it, and it always gets the #1 spot in my night stand safe. I've liked other guns but the P99 is the one I compare all other guns to. When the time is right I'll be getting a P99c QA. My P99 is an AS but I love the QA trigger pull. It's smooth like butter.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Now, I like my Walthers (P-22, P99AS and PPS) but not for their trigger pulls!

You guys need to try a 1911 with short take up, 4# pull, clean breaking trigger.

You will then go crazy trying to get your Walthers to come close to this type of trigger.

I take good care of my Walthers and 1911 and have not had any trouble or failures with any of my guns (The P-22 only gets mini mags). I shoot in IPDA and head to head plates with both the 1911 and the P99 and the guns have never failed me.

I Know a lot of people are going to bang on the 1911 as being unreliable, I have seen my share of them jam, but I have seen other types of guns jam also. If you take care of them, and don't go crazy on mods, you can't beat the trigger.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts

You guys need to try a 1911 with short take up, 4# pull, clean breaking trigger.

You will then go crazy trying to get your Walthers to come close to this type of trigger.

I take good care of my Walthers and 1911 and have not had any trouble or failures with any of my guns (The P-22 only gets mini mags). I shoot in IPDA and head to head plates with both the 1911 and the P99 and the guns have never failed me.

I Know a lot of people are going to bang on the 1911 as being unreliable, I have seen my share of them jam, but I have seen other types of guns jam also. If you take care of them, and don't go crazy on mods, you can't beat the trigger.

I agree totally. I do have to add though that the P99 trigger is an excellent trigger in the AS configuration. It comes close to the trigger on my Colt Series 70 Repro as far as being a joy to shoot when in SA mode.

·
Registered
186 Posts

I'll let you know. I just ordered a 1911 GI

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll admit, I've never owned or shot a 1911. Maybe in the new year I'll finally try one...

I'm not much of a 45 guy though. I have an old Sig 220 that I love but don't shoot much. Any recommendations for a 9mm 1911? Or is that blasphemy? :eek:

·
Registered
21 Posts
The sweetest shooting 1911 is chambered in 9mm. I personally shoot a Spring Field 1911, 9mm SS, Loaded, with an extended Mag release, ambi safety, mag well, 2-piece guide rod, adjustable sights, with a 4# trigger that breaks cleanly.

You will get some grief about shooting a sissy gun, but when you don't miss a plate on the rack and you get done first, it is not a problem. (heat to head plate racks) The guy that was giving you grief was probably shooting a 1911 in 38 super anyway or a minimum load 45.

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sure Colt 1911's are nice... but at that price I'll take the two for one P99 deal instead =)

·
Registered
4 Posts
The sweetest shooting 1911 is chambered in 9mm. I personally shoot a Spring Field 1911, 9mm SS, Loaded, with an extended Mag release, ambi safety, mag well, 2-piece guide rod, adjustable sights, with a 4# trigger that breaks cleanly.

You will get some grief about shooting a sissy gun, but when you don't miss a plate on the rack and you get done first, it is not a problem. (heat to head plate racks) The guy that was giving you grief was probably shooting a 1911 in 38 super anyway or a minimum load 45.

Steve
Thats the one of two 1911s in 9mm I have. The other is an original 70 series Colt. Absolutely correct about using them for steel. Amazingly easy to control and get sights back on target quick. Never was a fan of plastic until I picked up an early model Steyr M9. Still dont like the trigger compared to a 1911 but it's cool looking. Last I bought was an HK-USP9SD to go with my EVO-9. Didnt think Id like that either. Was a toss up between that and a P99AS. Well Im back snoopin' around for one of those now too - so I guess what Im saying is they all have their place and functions. Anybody know what the trigger is like in single between a USP-9 and a P99AS?

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts

ahhhhhhh, the 1911's. Hey, wheres Deputy?
Welcoem to the forum guys, and safe shooting!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thats the one of two 1911s in 9mm I have. The other is an original 70 series Colt. Absolutely correct about using them for steel. Amazingly easy to control and get sights back on target quick. Never was a fan of plastic until I picked up an early model Steyr M9. Still dont like the trigger compared to a 1911 but it's cool looking. Last I bought was an HK-USP9SD to go with my EVO-9. Didnt think Id like that either. Was a toss up between that and a P99AS. Well Im back snoopin' around for one of those now too - so I guess what Im saying is they all have their place and functions. Anybody know what the trigger is like in single between a USP-9 and a P99AS?
The SA trigger on the P99 is nicer than the USP, with a super-short reset point. And while you didn't ask, the DA on the P99 is WAY better than the USP. I have a full size SS slide USP 9, and my only real complaint is the crappy trigger.

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
While the USP line can not compare to the P99 trigger in DA or specially in the SA trigger reset, I think it is hit and miss on the USP trigger... I played with a USP9SD before and the trigger wasn't too bad.. then again on some regular USP9's I played with, the SA reset was way too long for my taste. But to answer your question... the SA reset of the P99/AS is very short

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, I figure it is time to just dive in here. I am picking up a P99 tomorrow (haven't decided if I am going to pick up the first series from the locas Gun Shop or head to the gun shiow to try to find a second series with the pic rail). Which ever way I go it will be an AS as the trigger feels very nice (first polymer frame gune I have really liked the trigger on). This is coming from someone who has been shooting 1911's since he was 8 years old and currently has several Colts/Clones as well as an Ed Brown Kobra Carry, Executive Carry, and a Dan Wesson CBOB (I do like my bobtail mainspring housing pistols). Now if we can just get Walther to make a true P99 in .45 ACP or even .45 GAP.

·
Registered
358 Posts
While the USP line can not compare to the P99 trigger in DA or specially in the SA trigger reset, I think it is hit and miss on the USP trigger... I played with a USP9SD before and the trigger wasn't too bad.. then again on some regular USP9's I played with, the SA reset was way too long for my taste. But to answer your question... the SA reset of the P99/AS is very short
Yeah its so short people come here complaining about having the gun fire two + rounds with one trigger pull. That has happened to me when I was switching back from the Glock to the Walther. It isn't a malfunction but a short reset and probably some poor trigger control on my part, but ohh the double taps you can make.:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts