Walther Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ordered one myself in anticipation of my upcoming Q4 TAC purchase (or Navy if I ever see a Q4 in the wilds of my LGS)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
154 Posts
Mine should be here any day, just wish I had a Q4 TAC to put it on!

Anyway down to 1, people.

Edit: Mine arrived today, quality and finish look very good, really wish I could try it out.

Aaaaaand they're gone.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Looks like I decided to investigate a comp too late for the TBRC model. They are sold out.

Anyone have any feedback on if they like it? If it helps?

Are their other options?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Comps for the Navy PPQ 9mm

I have both the larger 3 chamber Lone Wolf brake, and a Custom Muzzle Brakes Tri-delta. I've compared them many times at the range, and found both to be very effective at reducing muzzle rise and perceived recoil. One difference I noticed with the Lone Wolf, is that it tends to redirect gases back into my eyes much more than the CMB Tri-delta. Thats probably due to the pronounced backwards angle of the sideports, that the other doesn't have. On a 9mm rifle, that wouldn't be an issue, and it seems to be designed for just that (as are many other 9mm brakes).
I have also found in my testing that the most important design characteristic for these brakes is the area of the top ports vs side ports. In other words, increasing the area of the top ports reduces the muzzle rise more than increasing the side port area. If you look at expensive custom competition brakes, you'll see far more open ports on the top of the brake, than on the sides. Controlling muzzle rise is the primary objective with competition brakes, for more accurate follow up shots.
To that end, I have modified both of my brakes by drilling larger/additional holes on the top surfaces - at least as far as I could. It seemed to improve performance, even if it was subtle.
I ended up leaving the CMB Tri-delta on my PPQ Navy for now, since it makes for a VERY soft shooting pistol and doesnt blow smoke in my eyes.
One other very important consideration... unless you're shooting +P, or +P+ ammo, you'll need to change out your recoil spring. Since I also had a Q5 Match, I simply used its orange/red recoil spring that is slighly weaker than the stock (grey) Navy spring, and the Navy now cycles very consistently. Without it, it will consistently stove pipe and /or fail to return to battery. I bought a new solid metal red replacement spring/guide rod assembly for the Q5 (from BT Guide Rods) and all is well with that gun too. Shooting the 2 guns side by side, the Navy with its Tri-delta is very noticably softer shooting than the Q5. Many people who have tried both, agree and all prefer to shoot the Navy for that reason.
I cannot critique other brakes than these 2, but I have put well over 1000 rds through the Lone Wolf, and 2,000 rds + through the Tri-delta over the past 1 1/2 years of weekly range work. Also tried about every combination of springs and ammo I could get my hands on to get it all dialed in, including cutting coils off some of them - that only got me part of the way there. Breaking everything in over time also played a big part. Be patient, take your time. It's a puzzle that takes some effort to get right.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any updates for this thread? I'm wanting a compensator for my PPQ and Texas Black Rifle still shows that they're not in stock...I've emailed LWD as well but I am wondering if any other options have appeared lately. The Tri-Delta is also out of stock. Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Here is my set up.Lone wolf...love it..
Hello Zagor, please help me! I have a 9mm PPQ Q4 TAC and I see you put a compensator on your walther...did you have to do any modifications to the barrel to install it? any info is greatly appreciated since I'm in the market for one and also give me feed back on performance!
Thank you

21 - 32 of 32 Posts