Walther Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I RECENTLY GOT A .40 P99. THIS WAS THE FIRST OF TWO WALTHERS. I DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT WHAT ALL IS AVAILABLE FOR THEM YET. I SAW THAT THERE IS A COMPENSATOR FOR THE P99. IT SEEMS PRETTY EXPENSIVE, I GUESS YOU HAVE TO GET A THREADED BARREL, THEN SEND IN YOUR BARREL AND SLIDE TO HAVE IT FITTED. ARE THERE ANY AFTERMARKET DROP-IN KITS? HAS ANYONE HAD OR USED A COMPENSATED P99? HOW ARE THEY?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Please don't use all-caps in your post. It comes across as shouting and is mildly irritating.

As for the compensator, I've never seen a barrel with a built in compensator that you can just drop in. I've only seen the one compensator that attaches to a threaded barrel. You are right - this would be a major hassle to get.

It is my understanding that a compensator is intended to reduce muzzle flip. This post; Recoil Reducer talks about a stainless steel recoil reducer that replaces the guide rod. It may be a cheaper and easier alternative to achieve the same end result.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I FIND CAPS EASIER TO READ MYSELF,THERES NO REASON TO BE RUDE ABOUT IT.its a really good way to scare off new people when they get a responce like that the first times they post anything.
just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
263 Posts
gunmanguns,
I see your point, but my intent was not to be rude. Besides, if I had meant to be offensive, I wouldn't have provided the helpful information which I posted that pertained to his question. Bottom line; typing in all caps is not necessary and in most cases detracts from readability and is generally considered distasteful.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Typing in all Caps is interpreted as shouting by many who are online. It's one of those weird chat room / Bulletin Board things.

Given the nature of the post, it seems unintentional.

·
Registered
263 Posts
gumanguns,
My Z is not mine yet
I'll be selling/trading in my 2000 Nissan Frontier in late summer or fall of this year for a 2004/2005 350Z Enthusiast in Silverstone. 6 speed stick, of course
I am really looking forward to it!

·
Registered
25 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (kkramer673 @ Jan. 20 2004,10:41)]I never heard that typing in caps was "generally considered distasteful".  Live and learn.
Actually, typing all caps really is considered distasteful on many Internet forums.  And some people will shout back, just like some people will chastise bad spelling.  And in fact, I believe lowercase was invented to make things easier to read.  But, we're civil here and are all above that stuff.  

To get back on topic: Do you really want a compensator?  They're messy.  They throw burnt powder, still hot, back at your face, clothes, eyes, etc.  This can be dangerous.  And there's a huge flash which isn't good for your night vision.  I consider the muzzle flip on the 9mm of small consequence.  I have no problem with gun control (not the liberal's meaning) and I'm not a big guy either.  Just my $0.02 worth.

For all you Z guys: I'll take any of you with my 2002 BMW M3!  (I like my cars German too.)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Ersin,
  I agree with you completely that the kick of the 9mm is not great enough to really require a compensator.  jmiller said he is looking for a compensator for a .40 cal.  I have never shot a .40 P99 - is the kick that much more?

edit; Actually, I just took a look at www.carlwalther.com - they only have threaded barrels and compensators for the 9mm. Sorry jmiller - you'll have to look elsewhere for the compensator. I am pretty sure they sell threaded .40 barrels elsewhere though.

You are truly lucky if you have a BMW M3.  I believe that they are incredible machines.  But an M3 is going for close to $60K new these days.  You will not find a German sports coupe that comes close to the Z's performance for $30K    

·
Registered
6 Posts
My understanding was that the compensator on Earl's website (www.carlwalther.com) is intended more as a barrel weight for a fully automatic version of a P99 in 9mm which would explain needing a compensator / barrel weight on a 9mm gun.

I have a P99 in 40S&W and the kick is not that bad, but you do have to reallign between each shot, whereas you can double tap pretty close together with a 9mm.

Don

·
Registered
22 Posts
Earl's comp is sorta bogus. It looks nice, but its vented out the bottom
which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It also seems to be made out of aluminum so it really doesn't do much in terms of weight. Of course, if it was heavier, you would probably have to go to a lighter recoil spring which is a whole other issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
ajw45,
You are right about the openings in the compensator being strangely placed. I wonder if anybody on the board has this installed on their weapon. I am thinking about sending them an email and asking about it.

I don't think you would need a lighter recoil spring if you added a compensator. The compensator redirects gasses after the round has left the barrel to counter muzzle flip. The amount and speed of the gasses exiting the barrel should be the same, so recoil force should not change.

·
Registered
263 Posts
gumanguns,
Congrats on getting your hands on an STi. Its an amazing car from a performance standpoint. I'd save up a little longer and get one of those, except that I was a little turned off by the interior materials and the boy-racer image. Mitsu Evo's interior (and exterior I might add) seem worse than the STi though.
The great thing about the STi is that it already has a strong aftermarket following. If you're into tuning, send me a PM or open up a new thread in the off-topic section - I can direct you to a few great tuner companies that focus specifically on the WRX/STi.
Cars have always been my first passion. Apologies for getting this thread off topic. If any of you are interesting in talking about this more, I'd love to in the off-topic section of this board. It could use some activity anyways

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not that recoil force changes but the added weight of big comps essentially adds weight to the barrel which must move reward during recoil to cycle. If the recoil force stays the same, but mass increases, then the spring weight has to decrease to retain similar cycling characteristics. If the comp is light enough, then its negligible. So, while earl's is light enough not to affect cycling which is good, its still aluminum which might not be strong enough to make a long lasting comp. Of course, a heavier steel comp, heavy enough to add significant weight out front, would probably require a lighter spring. My open gun with huge comp is running an 11lb recoil spring for example even though its only a commander length slide.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts