Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took out my latest acquisition: a brand new P99c in 9mm. 'Every bit as accurate as my P99c in 40SW with reduced recoil. I had a few failures of the slide to go into full battery with the first 50 rounds but after that, it was smooth sailing. No failures. POI was spot on with the factory plastic sights.

Which do I prefer the 9mm or the .40SW? I have to say with the P99c, I prefer the .40SW. Reason being, I feel its additional recoil not to be that significant in this particular gun. And while great strides have been made to beef up the 9mm to the point where it is now a very formidable round, I like and respect the additional "oomph" of the .40SW - plus I reload .40SW so it's darn cheap to shoot.

Granted this is my opinion only but if I could only have one P99 compact, I think I would opt for the .40SW.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I though .40 S&W stood for .40 Short & Weak?:)

Seriously though, thanks for the info.
I'm probably going to be buying a P99 here fairly soon and I haven't decided on the 9mm or the .40sw.

I will be needing to make that decision, but I'm kind of leaning torward the 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and it will be a gun my wife will be using. It will stay next to the bed and she needs to be proficient and comfortable with it for when I'm out of town.

Currently that job is being filled by a .357 wheel gun with 38 special rounds loaded. I'm sure whatever I get here will be much more comfortable than shooting that thing.:D

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I though .40 S&W stood for .40 Short & Weak?:)

Seriously though, thanks for the info.
I'm probably going to be buying a P99 here fairly soon and I haven't decided on the 9mm or the .40sw.

I will be needing to make that decision, but I'm kind of leaning torward the 9mm because the ammo is cheaper and it will be a gun my wife will be using. It will stay next to the bed and she needs to be proficient and comfortable with it for when I'm out of town.

Currently that job is being filled by a .357 wheel gun with 38 special rounds loaded. I'm sure whatever I get here will be much more comfortable than shooting that thing.:D
Sounds like in your case the 9mm would be the way to go. Stock it with Corbons DPX or Gold Dots for short barrel and you have a very formidable weapon. If it were for you however, I would opt for the .40. In the P99c it is not a bazooka by any stretch. Very manageable.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Sounds like in your case the 9mm would be the way to go. Stock it with Corbons DPX or Gold Dots for short barrel and you have a very formidable weapon. If it were for you however, I would opt for the .40. In the P99c it is not a bazooka by any stretch. Very manageable.

Thanks Kraigster, I was thinking of getting the full size because I like the full size better, but actually I should probably get the compact since they are thinner and I want it to be comfortable for the wife. What's the round capacity on the compacts?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Kraigster, I was thinking of getting the full size because I like the full size better, but actually I should probably get the compact since they are thinner and I want it to be comfortable for the wife. What's the round capacity on the compacts?
8 for the 40, 10 for the 9. Unless you are into the target shooting thing, I'd go with the compact, very accurate especially if you routinely practice at combat range, and it carries very well. I see guys and gals with a full size this or that gun shooting paper at 10 yards or less continuously and IMHO, a compact is all they need. I like the balance of the P99c better too. But each to his own. They are both great. Night sights for the wife? Go with Earl's - more money but no fitting required. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
162 Posts
FYI...Full size and compact BOTH fit the same in the hand, neither one is thinner. :cool:

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
FYI...Full size and compact BOTH fit the same in the hand, neither one is thinner. :cool:

Common Sense...The Rarest Of All Senses
But lighter and somewhat better for concealed carry. And since they are both great shooters, IMHO, the compact is the best of all possible worlds if you intend to carry the and you practice at close and personal distances. Though admittedly just about any gun short of an RPG can be concealed well in the right holster with the right belt. I guess I just like small things. My wife says it (my P99c) matches up well with the rest of my ahem, "prized possessions."

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 9MM

I carry it every day. I chose the 9MM because the ammo is so much cheaper for days at the range.
As far as for self defense, I carry one spare mag on me, I'm comfortable that 21 rounds of Golden Sabre 124gr +P is ok.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, it's Short and Worthless :D
I think that was coined by 10MM fans. :)
It's also known as the solution looking for a problem.
"a solution looking for a problem" - how many times have we read this phrase in the plethora of gun forums? It's now almost a cliche. It's been applied to the .45 GAP (in this case I might agree) and to virtually every other cartridge that for whatever reason the author hasn't warmed to. Just hit what you're aiming at and don't get wrapped around the axle over caliber. Anything from a 9mm up is a proven performer. Do your part by becomming proficient and you'll be fine. The .40SW has been around for a long time and remains one of the most popular handgun cartridges ever both for civilians and LE - I wish my agency's authorized caliber was the .40SW vice the 9mm personally but I am ok with the 9. And though I am die hard .45 ACP fan, the .40SW owner can rest assured he has a very capable cartridge backing him/her up.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
"a solution looking for a problem" - how many times have we read this phrase in the plethora of gun forums? It's now almost a cliche. It's been applied to the .45 GAP (in this case I might agree) and to virtually every other cartridge that for whatever reason the author hasn't warmed to. Just hit what you're aiming at and don't get wrapped around the axle over caliber. Anything from a 9mm up is a proven performer. Do your part by becomming proficient and you'll be fine. The .40SW has been around for a long time and remains one of the most popular handgun cartridges ever both for civilians and LE - I wish my agency's authorized caliber was the .40SW vice the 9mm personally but I am ok with the 9. And though I am die hard .45 ACP fan, the .40SW owner can rest assured he has a very capable cartridge backing him/her up.
A long time????? I guess if you consider 17 years (the .40 S&W cartridge debuted January 17, 1990) as a "long time", you could say that. But considering the .45ACP came out in 1905, and the 9MM even earlier in 1902, the .40 S&W is pretty much the new kid on the block.

Oh yeah...add ".40 Short and Wimpy" to it's names :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whatever you say Deputy. A failed cartridge could never sustain the level of popularity/acceptance the .40SW has for as long as it has. You don't like it, shoot what you are more confident with but make sure you hit your target. That is the key not caliber.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
Yep...we owe a lot to the .40 S&W. Without it we would never have been introducted to kaBOOM!!! in Glocks :D

Funny thing...not one country has adopted the magnificent .40 Short & Wizbang for their military units.

Heck, if the key to winning a gunfight is just "shoot what you are more confident with but make sure you hit your target", I guess I might just as well carry my .22 Magnum NAA mini-revolver. It's a cinch to conceal and I hit the target every time. :)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
"Funny thing...not one country has adopted the magnificent .40 Short & Wizbang for their military units."

Nor the .45 ACP. 9mm is the NATO member sanctioned round, it is what the rest of the world knows best and it makes sense from a compatibility standpoint. Only in this country do you have so many separate LE entities with distinct jurisdictional responsibilities - this helps explain the wide variety of different armaments and calibers in usage often the result of unique operating environments, politics, and the whims of the powers-to-be.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
"Funny thing...not one country has adopted the magnificent .40 Short & Wizbang for their military units."

Nor the .45 ACP. 9mm is the NATO member sanctioned round, it is what the rest of the world knows best and it makes sense from a compatibility standpoint. Only in this country do you have so many separate LE entities with distinct jurisdictional responsibilities - this helps explain the wide variety of different armaments and calibers in usage often the result of unique operating environments, politics, and the whims of the powers-to-be.

The US Spec Ops units are using the H&K USP Tactical in .45ACP as well as the H&K SOCOM. Uncle Sam was in the process of testing/adopting a new .45ACP pistol. That's why you see so many different companies with .45ACP plastic frame guns with tan/brown grips. Here's a pic of H&K's version, the HK45...

The US will eventually dump the 9MM, NATO or not. Too may troops using it are complaining about it's ineffectiveness.

Dep

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
The only drawback is the FMJ of the NATO 9mm. Good hollowpoints work just fine.

By the way some know-it-all on this forum once posted that the Geneva Convention prohibits the use of hollowpoints. That's nonsense. It's the Hague Peace Conference of 1899 that prohibits the following:

"The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions."

And...the United States was not a signatory to those provisions of 1899, although it has been U.S. policy to not use hollowpoints while engaged in war with foreign enemies.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The US Spec Ops units are using the H&K USP Tactical in .45ACP as well as the H&K SOCOM. Uncle Sam was in the process of testing/adopting a new .45ACP pistol. That's why you see so many different companies with .45ACP plastic frame guns with tan/brown grips. Here's a pic of H&K's version, the HK45...

The US will eventually dump the 9MM, NATO or not. Too may troops using it are complaining about it's ineffectiveness.

Dep
Yes to the H&K but your comment was directed at overseas foreign governments/military and their preference for the 9mm. Here in the US our military spec ops have a wide variety of firepower and calibers at their disposal. Yes too to the fact that the 9mm NATO (hardball) does not bring out the full potential of the 9mm.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
"And...the United States was not a signatory to those provisions of 1899, although it has been U.S. policy to not use hollowpoints while engaged in war with foreign enemies."

That is correct and that is what forces DoD civilian and uniform elements to have to rely on 9mm FMJ (hardball) overseas. Now you didn't hear it from me but it has known to happen that JHPs once in a while find their way in those P229 mags.

·
Banned
7,055 Posts
"And...the United States was not a signatory to those provisions of 1899, although it has been U.S. policy to not use hollowpoints while engaged in war with foreign enemies."

That is correct and that is what forces DoD civilian and uniform elements to have to rely on 9mm FMJ (hardball) overseas. Now you didn't hear it from me but it has known to happen that JHPs once in a while find their way in those P229 mags.
Actually, Spec Ops have been using HP for some time (as far back as the Viet Nam war). It's just not well known to the media and the public. The current justification is the enemy they are fighting are terrorists and not regular soldiers. Terrorists don't "declare war" since they don't reperesent a recognized foreign country. So they are fair game for HP ammo. And I'm glad as hell that they are using HPs against them :D

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
Shocking, simply, shocking!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts