Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I work at a post office and I wanted to know some suggestions on which size P99 to get. I have large hands and I held both of the guns in the gun store and the full-size seems to fit my hand better. but Im worried about concealment. how hard is a full-size to conceal? its not like you can strap one on your belt in a hollister at the gun store, therefore I have not been able to see which is better. What should I do?

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have two P99 compacts and one full size. Both conceal well, however for maximum concealability under a range of conditions, seasonal considerations, clothing, etc. the compact has the edge due to its shorter grip. Keep in mind too, that your choice of holster and belt play a role. My P99s are relatively new but I have a feeling the compacts will see more use in the summer and the full size in the winter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks that helps me out, I think I might just get both, I live in PA and it is winter now so Im going to get the full size first then the compact in the spring

·
Registered
335 Posts
JMOFO:

It's hard to recommend one over the other because each person, and their capability to cc is so different..

I have both, and the compact seems to cc easier, but truthfully the full size is NOT that much bigger, but offers 5 or 6 rds more capacity.. In fact when I ordered my FIST Kydex iwb holster they molded for the full size and cut for the compact, so both pistols fit perfectly. The enclosed pictures will give you an idea of the size difference in the iwb holster.

Do like I did... Buy one, then later on buy the other, problem solved.

The good news is that no matter which you buy first you will still be cc what is imo the finest 9mm pistol on the planet.

Best Wishes,

J.Pomeroy

P.S. I CAN recommend the "AS" model

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you think the "Anti Stress" I was leaning more to the "Quick Action" but I have only ever shot a Gen.1 P99. Im buying this one new

·
Registered
910 Posts
you think the "Anti Stress" I was leaning more to the "Quick Action" but I have only ever shot a Gen.1 P99. Im buying this one new
I much prefer the AS but your call.

·
Registered
335 Posts

JMOFO:

"AS" big time....:D :D

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
I work at a post office and I wanted to know some suggestions on which size P99 to get. I have large hands and I held both of the guns in the gun store and the full-size seems to fit my hand better. but Im worried about concealment. how hard is a full-size to conceal? its not like you can strap one on your belt in a hollister at the gun store, therefore I have not been able to see which is better. What should I do?
Uh.....Hopefully you are not going to carry concealed in the Post Office.

The full size is not hard to conceal.

·
Registered
910 Posts

Hmm. You got a point about the post office. ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the P99c QA in .40, I use the grip extension with a 12 round mag when I am not cc. Even with the short grip, I have never had a problem with control.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I have the P99c QA in .40, I use the grip extension with a 12 round mag when I am not cc. Even with the short grip, I have never had a problem with control.
I have the P99c in 40 as well, ditto for a P99c in 9mm. Both have the AS trigger. I also use the 12-round mag in the 99c .40 when I am not cc. Where the horror stories about the 99c .40 being a hand canon came from is beyond me. I find the 99c .40 less punishing than my Glock 27 and the the G27 sells extremely well. There is a tendency here to discourage folks from getting the P99c in .40 and I think that is too bad unless one is severely recoil-challenged. And if you handload .40, you can develop some very nice, easy on the body loads for practice. Now if there was only a .357 SIG barrel I could drop in. :)

·
Registered
406 Posts
I now own a full size P99, a compact, and a S&W compact, so I think I am in position to comment as to which one to get. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the Walther P99 compact AS, and get the grip adopter that allows full size magazines. If I didn't use it as a suppressor platform I'd probably never have bought the fullsize Walther.

This is a great compromise and allows you to be the most flexible as far as capacity and concealability. The grip adopters are extremely helpful and if it were up to me I'd package every compact P99 with a couple of them.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I now own a full size P99, a compact, and a S&W compact, so I think I am in position to comment as to which one to get. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy the Walther P99 compact AS, and get the grip adopter that allows full size magazines. If I didn't use it as a suppressor platform I'd probably never have bought the fullsize Walther.

This is a great compromise and allows you to be the most flexible as far as capacity and concealability. The grip adopters are extremely helpful and if it were up to me I'd package every compact P99 with a couple of them.
As an owner of two P99 compacts, a .40 and a 9mm and a f/s 9mm, I think there is merit in what you said. However, in the case of the 9mm (and granted we may be nitpicking a bit), the slightly longer barrel produces a bit more MV out of a standard 9mm factory round. In the case of the 9mm, that's not a bad thing to have. When I do carry my P99c 9mm, I rely on +P.

As for the grip adapter, I just happen to have shot 100 rounds through my P99c .40 today with one on and yes, it performs great. Still however I prefer the feel of my full size P99 9mm and the longer sight radius does improve my accuracy a bit, albeit the P99 compact and full size were never designed to shoot the eyelash off a flea. Regardless of which model you get, either is plenty accurate at typical combat range (the average "encounter" is typically measured in feet not yards).

So what does all this mean? Get the P99 that works for YOU and don't be scared off by the P99c in .40 SW. It is not the bear some folks make it out to be. Plenty controllable and plenty of punch. The P99 is a great gun but so many things in life, there is no one-size-fits all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Uh.......Hopefully I wont have to use it when Im in the Post Office. Obviously you have no clue, the counter in front of me is 4 ft. high. Along with the post office there is a Cash Land also where we cash checks to people that cannot get it done at a bank. Cash land is surrounded with bullet proof glass, I guess they did that for [email protected]!t's and giggles. Somtimes Im outside of the bullet proof glass with nothing to protect me. Not to mention I count over $125,000 a day. My boss also is paying for half of the gun and my carring permit.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Uh.......Hopefully I wont have to use it when Im in the Post Office. Obviously you have no clue, the counter in front of me is 4 ft. high. Along with the post office there is a Cash Land also where we cash checks to people that cannot get it done at a bank. Cash land is surrounded with bullet proof glass, I guess they did that for [email protected]!t's and giggles. Somtimes Im outside of the bullet proof glass with nothing to protect me. Not to mention I count over $125,000 a day. My boss also is paying for half of the gun and my carring permit.
Uh.....I have a big clue. I worked at the Post Office for 37 years, 29 years in management postions. So go bullshit somebody else. I know you are not allowed to legally carry in the Post Office unless you are a Postal Inspector, Postal Police, or a police officer on official business.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wrong, first it all depends on the state law. It is not a "post office" it is a privately owned buisness that handles DSL, Fed-Ex, UPS, USPS, Cash Land, Dunkle Services, and a Tax Shelter. Not to mention my Boss is in charge of city control I don't think I have anything to worry about. At least I had the class to sensor my curse word.

·
Banned
1,007 Posts
Wrong, first it all depends on the state law. It is not a "post office" it is a privately owned buisness that handles DSL, Fed-Ex, UPS, USPS, Cash Land, Dunkle Services, and a Tax Shelter. Not to mention my Boss is in charge of city control I don't think I have anything to worry about. At least I had the class to sensor my curse word.
State law has nothing to do with carry on Federal property.

Oh, you don't work for the Post Office like you originally stated. Now I understand. You work for the Post Office the same way that Mall Security is in Law Enforcement. Okay, no problem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I didn't join this site to argue with some 50 year old man that has nothing better to do but sit on here and be a doushe-bag. I stated "post office" so I didn't have to write out all the other bullshit that is there. Now you just plain pissed me off. It is a authorized drop off center. Im not worried about the "post office" Im worried about the crazy people that come in with a check that is fake and when you don't cash it they get pissed and cause a seen. There have been guns pulled there before that is the purpose of the bullet proof glass, but if I happen to be outside of that I want to be prepared. I also stated that I wanted to know if there was a big difference in size, not weather I was allowed to carry it or not. It is not federal property!!!! My boss owns 4 other postal express's and 3 out of the 4 there are employees armed at all times. We have an old .40 police issued S&W there right now in the safe. Not to mention I work at a prison, and I just passed the written and verbel tests to become a PA state trooper, I head to Hershey for the pysical exam in two weeks. Mall Security hahahahaha p.s. honestly I made this thread to start conversation just so I could get a feel for the site, I guess its obvious how it is........

·
Registered
54 Posts
Please do not do yourself the disservice of dismissing this site because of one minor disagreement. I have learned alot from this site. I belong to several firearm forums and am yet to find a better source of helpful, knowledgable people anywhere. As a collective we know more about the P99 than any dealer, and probably more than most people that work for Walther.

As far as your original question. The full size conceals very nicely.

If you work in very light clothing you could always get the compact, which works with anything, and buy a couple of grip extentions which allows the use of full size mags. Then configure the weapon accordingly.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts