Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing lack of interest for the HMSS in another thread, it made me realize the P99's as a collector piece of appreciation is not sought after. I found the P99's uniqueness to be appealing similar to an HKp7 that it has a special trigger that nobody had made to it's time up to date as far as I know.

I'm not into collecting for an investment or to make money from it, but keeping something as a display or work of art, it is nice to know that something you own has appreciated after taking the time to take care of it and protect it. (ala nice house, car, stamps, coins, painting etc.) I've seen 2000 millenium p99's sold 7 years ago the same price as retail and people sitll don't pick them up.

In the case of P7's which I compared it to, Jubilee's are highly sought after, it's averaged 10% increase annually from its original sale price. The last 500 P7's made were also increasing in price since they were released.

Any thoughts why p99 collector appeal is not there? even p5's, p88s, ppks are so hot.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I think that while its a fine gun, its just a basic plastic framed gun. I wouldn't pay any more for a special edition P99 than I would for a commemorative edition ford taurus.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think the days of the collectable firearm have passed us by. The days of polished blue steel and figured walnut have all but passed. I feel the two go hand in hand, and although todays firearms are arguably better than anytime in history regarding reliability and hard use longevity, that has made them "ugly" and tool-like in many people's eyes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the days of the collectable firearm have passed us by. The days of polished blue steel and figured walnut have all but passed. I feel the two go hand in hand, and although todays firearms are arguably better than anytime in history regarding reliability and hard use longevity, that has made them "ugly" and tool-like in many people's eyes.

you're probably right...we have guns that last 50k rounds these days without any parts going bad. i hardly have enough time to get 200 rounds in a week on one single pistol, at that rate my guns will still have factory original parts in 30 years.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that while its a fine gun, its just a basic plastic framed gun. I wouldn't pay any more for a special edition P99 than I would for a commemorative edition ford taurus.
wouldn't a Ford Taurus be equivalent to a commemorative ruger?

I always thought a P99 is more like a BMW. The p99 would be like a M5 of BMw's. The PPK is like a M3 Series.

Walther is to BMW as HK is to Mercedes Benz.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts