Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, this topic has been long discussed and is very subjective, but my wife recently purchased a -- and I recently shot her -- Colt Model "Government" Series 70 (with 5" barrel) in 45 ACP. My God in Heaven, what a sweet firearm that is! My wife hit the "bullseye" at 25 yeards; her grouping at 7 to 15 yards was simply fantastic; and she marveled at the taming of muzzle flip and discharge recoil otherwise experienced when firing her H&K VP9. I must admit, the Colt is a sweet firing handgun BUT I prefer the Walther PPQ-M2 (with 5" barrel) to which I added a steel BT spring guide. There is no doubt, the Colt -- similar to the CZ75 SP-01 which slide is, however, more difficult to rack than the 1911 -- has a much better trigger. There is no travel distance when "squeezing" the trigger on the 1911 thereby insuring against inadvertant "shaking" of the gun. The PPQ does have what I call "trigger distance" which is to say the slack which must be traveled before the firing pin is engaged. Nevertheless, the PPQ is solely "single handed" in its ability to eject the magazine. Once again, the magazine release button on the Colt requires my left hand (I hold the firearm in my right hand) to engage the magazine release button. Were I not living in the Peoples' Republic of New Jersey and entitled to carry my firearm, I probably would find the PPQ to be lighter and easier to carry than the 1911. Will continue to shoot and compare wife's 1911 (and CZ75 and VP9) with my PPQ, and I will continue to report my conclusions.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Kinda tough to beat a 5" 1911 for ergos and trigger. I don't know of any other design that's close.

However, I'm coming from a 5" 9mm 1911 with an RDS to my new Q5 SF. I'm warming up to it better than any other striker gun I've ever fired.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Good luck finding any striker fired gun that can beat a good 1911 when it comes to trigger pull.

The PPQ, PPQ45, P99, SW99 45, Q5 SF all have great triggers on them - some of the best in the industry - but even my cheap Walther/Colt 1911 in .22 has a better trigger. My RugerSR1911 has a better trigger as well - and they are hardly known for being exceptional in that category.

With that said, like you, I have found reason to prefer the striker guns. I like a SW99 .45 for my nightstand gun much better than my 1911 due to the decocker and DA/SA.

I also find a full size 1911, for all it's virtues, difficult to reach the controls without extended slide and mag releases. Plus... my training sessions have shown time and time again that I will forget to flip off the safety on a handgun.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Forgetting the safety, is, as you say, a training issue. When I shoot a striker gun, my thumb wonders why there is no safety. That's why I have no problem with my 938 EDC.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts