Walther Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was cleaning a somewhat older Commander (rowel hammer, short grip safety tang), and happened to notice that the slide was machined away so that the extractor was visible. Normally, the extractor lives in a closed tunnel.
The pistol overall seems very light, tho' I no longer have a more modern alloy Commander for comparison.
Anyone familiar with this? Were the early Commanders deliberately lightened in the slide?
I need to get back on the Colt forum, but this crew is very knowledgeable.
Thnx,
Moon

·
Premium Member
13,914 Posts
My steel-frame 9mm Combat Commander c.1974 in satin nickel has the normal & traditional extractor tunnel. It's a favorite gun. In fact, I can't recall ever seeing any other kind on a Colt.

I learn something new every day...

M

·
Super Moderator
7,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Universal', that was easy enough! :)
Left unsaid in the link; what was the rationale for lightening the slide? In target guns, with expected light loads, okay. In the Commander, would it simply be a matter of reducing weight?
Mike, concur on 9mm steel Commanders; it's a nice balance, and not nearly so bouncy as the .45 version.
Frankly, don't expect to shoot the lightweight Commander much, tho' I did put a dab of white paint on the front sight, to have a prayer of seeing it.
Moon

Reactions: UniversalExports
1 - 4 of 4 Posts