Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have this gun? If so, what do you think of it- especially the trigger?
I have been shooting pretty well lately- my 3 PPQ's and CZ P01. have shot the Combat commander twice, and don't seem to shoot it as well...maybe just takes getting used to?? I am wondering if the PPQ trigger is actually better than the one on the Commander.

Or is shooting a 1911 a little different in some way. All comments and suggestions welcome. thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have the light weight 9mm Commander and have had three of .45 Combat Commanders. My experience is that out of the box, the triggers are OK - but only OK. The Commanders I have owned (and the Government Models) could all have benefited from a trigger job or a whole lot of shooting.

I wouldn't be surprised if the trigger pull on the CZ was better. I've never fired a PPQ.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I have the current production Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, an older .45ACP Combat Commander and a PPQ M1. The Lightweight Commander balances in my hand better than any of my other 1911's and is quickly becoming a favorite to take to the range.

I have several Colt's with either the series 70 trigger or the series 80. I've never felt there was much of a difference between the two. They feel completely different than the PPQ trigger but they are all good enough for me to achieve the accuracy that my current skill level allows. I general I find that I can shoot my 1911's better than many other pistols.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Weight and width of combat commander

I have the current production Colt Lightweight Commander in 9mm, an older .45ACP Combat Commander and a PPQ M1. The Lightweight Commander balances in my hand better than any of my other 1911's and is quickly becoming a favorite to take to the range.

I have several Colt's with either the series 70 trigger or the series 80. I've never felt there was much of a difference between the two. They feel completely different than the PPQ trigger but they are all good enough for me to achieve the accuracy that my current skill level allows. I general I find that I can shoot my 1911's better than many other pistols.

I realize my Colt commander is a little heavier and thinner than my other guns...guess I must shoot it enough to get consistent with it.

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
I've a 9mm Commander, and it shoots very well.
The trigger is decent, and I've not fooled with it.
It may be a matter of becoming used to different triggers...shifting back and forth between a Glock and anything else can make you crazy.
Conventional bulleye-shooters' wisdom was to gradually increase pressure on the trigger (using only the distal pad) until the trigger surprised you by breaking.
This works less well with heavier, not necessarily linear triggers.
Get some dry-fire practice with both guns and try to diagnose what is going on.
Moon

Reactions: pilkguns

·
Registered
2,924 Posts

As much as I like my various other guns... the 1911 trigger is still the high mark. Like, describe any other trigger, and the best you can say about it is "it's almost as good as a 1911 trigger". :cool:

·
Super Moderator
7,506 Posts
Kar, you plainly have not felt the single action on a Smith revolver. It spoils you for anything else, and you can almost think it into breaking.
That said, 1911 triggers can be tuned to a wonderful degree. Standard 1911 triggers (Colts included) run the gamut from 'wonderful' to 'okay' to 'gritty and creepy'. Hard to say what the OP may be dealing with.
Dry fire, and watching the sights when the trigger breaks, is the place to start.
Moon

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
grips on my Colt combat commander are thinner than I would like....suggestions please to make them a little thicker....maybe Hogue? I use Large backstrap on all my PPQ's

·
Registered
179 Posts
Kar, you plainly have not felt the single action on a Smith revolver. It spoils you for anything else, and you can almost think it into breaking.
That said, 1911 triggers can be tuned to a wonderful degree. Standard 1911 triggers (Colts included) run the gamut from 'wonderful' to 'okay' to 'gritty and creepy'. Hard to say what the OP may be dealing with.
Dry fire, and watching the sights when the trigger breaks, is the place to start.
Moon
You think that's something shoot a Colt Python in single action. IMO, the smoothest trigger I've ever squeezed, ever.

A tuned 1911 trigger by someone that knows what they are doing can be something of a marvel.

Jim D

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I currently have two Colt 1911s, a full-size Colt Customs that has an excellent trigger and a Colt Commander mutt that is built on a 1943 military frame with a slide from around 1970 that I just recently put back into working condition. The 1943 frame had been used on a Colt rimfire conversion before that.

The Commander also has an excellent trigger and when I shot it the first time, I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.

As to single action revolver triggers, the S&W triggers with a little work are excellent, the early Pythons were excellent from the factory and both only surpassed by the Manurhin MR73 or Sport and the Korths.

·
Registered
179 Posts
As to the original post my guess that it is the grip angle if your used to shooting other guns. To me the 1911 is the perfect pointing gun for me, I can shoot it well without the need of sights, it just shoots where I look.

Although I shoot it so well I don't carry one. I've got a hangup in my head about carrying cocked & locked especially if it has an ambidextrous safety. I carried a Kimber Ultra quite a bit in south Texas brush country and several times I drew my firearm and the safety was disengaged. Too easy to brush against something and knock it off safety and that scares me.

I'd love to have a pistol that feels and points like an Ultra 1911 without the cock & locked and safety issues. For those wondering how this happens to me, working cattle in the brush country is rough & physical and your always getting hit, rubbed against, and slapped with limbs.

Jim D
SE Texas

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
1911 triggers are fantastic and the high mark. They can also be easy buttered up. No trigger is really better out of the box.

That being said it here are other great triggers too. My GP100 Match is wonderful too.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
1911 triggers are fantastic and the high mark. They can also be easy buttered up. No trigger is really better out of the box.

That being said it here are other great triggers too. My GP100 Match is wonderful too.
Have you shot a Swiss P210-6, S&W 52, or Benelli P-76? I can only caution people from making blanket statements about all guns when they haven't had direct experience with all.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
grips on my Colt combat commander are thinner than I would like....suggestions please to make them a little thicker....maybe Hogue? I use Large backstrap on all my PPQ's

I use the large backstrap on the Q45, you might want to consider a double-stack 1911. I love my Para Ord USA 14.45, the trigger broke in REALLY nice (with around 1k snap-cap dry firings)......

Attachments

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
As to the original post my guess that it is the grip angle if your used to shooting other guns. To me the 1911 is the perfect pointing gun for me, I can shoot it well without the need of sights, it just shoots where I look.

Although I shoot it so well I don't carry one. I've got a hangup in my head about carrying cocked & locked especially if it has an ambidextrous safety. I carried a Kimber Ultra quite a bit in south Texas brush country and several times I drew my firearm and the safety was disengaged. Too easy to brush against something and knock it off safety and that scares me.

I'd love to have a pistol that feels and points like an Ultra 1911 without the cock & locked and safety issues. For those wondering how this happens to me, working cattle in the brush country is rough & physical and your always getting hit, rubbed against, and slapped with limbs.

Jim D
SE Texas
You may want to consider a CZ 75 SA with a decocker

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Have you shot a Swiss P210-6, S&W 52, or Benelli P-76? I can only caution people from making blanket statements about all guns when they haven't had direct experience with all.
I can vouch for the S&W 52. Amazing trigger. The Smith trigger system, as later seen on single action guns like the 952, 845, PPC9 could be a thing of beauty.

The 52s came first and were built to a very high standard as were the 845s and PPC9s. I've seen more variability in the 952 triggers but at their best they were very good as well.

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Katie5805, Sorry for the thread drift.

The Colt Commander 9mm is a classic gun. I wouldn't say it's better than the PPQ, just different.

I get the impression you are a fairly new handgunner. I wouldn't buy the Colt Commander in the belief it will make you are better shooter. The best way to become better is to practice as much as you can. Maybe take a class if that is available to you.

If you want to buy the Colt because it is a cool and classic gun or you just plain want to own one, by all means go for it.

If you want to buy it because you believe it will make you a better shooter I'd be cautious about that.

Your PPQ is a great gun and is capable of very good performance.

The best way to get better, especially when you are getting started with pistol shooting, is practice, practice, practice. That's not bad news though as practice is fun!

Regards

1 - 20 of 33 Posts