Walther Forums banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Colt was making firearms before I arrived on planet earth....they'll be making them after I'm gone. And they aren't even talking about remanufacturing classics....like some corps I know, Python or Woodsman anyone....1917

We can only hope that in the years/decades to come, the "latest/greatest" Colt models are not just in the hands of those kicking down doors to confiscate firearms.

This is a move in that direction, with the way US leadership is heading.

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
DUA: Why didn't they just remain silent? If they wanted to remain neutral, or pro-2nd, that would have been better.

I was at a local gun store a couple of days before this broke. A Colt employee let the cat out of the bag to a distributor, then Colt retracted that statement. The distributor in turn called the store while I was there and told the manager, a good friend of mine, to disregard.

So, this whole thing was botched even before the announcement.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Colt filed for bankruptcy in 1992 and 2015.
Stated reason loss of gov contracts and slow sales of commercial handguns and rifles.
Apparently their PR is not all that great too.

Their PR group is just as inept as their market analyses group, or the top floor suits who lined their pockets during the good times, choosing not to invest in innovations, or get the hell out of the NE US.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
You'll notice they didn't say they were stopping production of non civilian rifles. Wonder how military sales have been?

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
You'll notice they didn't say they were stopping production of non civilian rifles. Wonder how military sales have been?

According to the article I have linked below, pretty darned good, apparently. Lots of very recent contracts. Also, this appears to be a temporary suspension in civilian sales, as military contracts run through 2024:

COLT CONTINUES: Pauses Civilian AR-15 Production For Military Contracts
"Colt’s decision to temporarily leave the civilian AR-15 market coincides with the award of a sizeable foreign military sales contract to provide an unspecified number of M4 and M4A1 carbines to countries including Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia."

·
Registered
196 Posts

According to the article I have linked below, pretty darned good, apparently. Lots of very recent contracts. Also, this appears to be a temporary suspension in civilian sales, as military contracts run through 2024:

COLT CONTINUES: Pauses Civilian AR-15 Production For Military Contracts
"Colt’s decision to temporarily leave the civilian AR-15 market coincides with the award of a sizeable foreign military sales contract to provide an unspecified number of M4 and M4A1 carbines to countries including Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia."
Since Colt is trying to play the politically correct card why don’t they release a statement about which foreign countries they are supplying arms to. I’m sure more then a few of those will end up used against our soldiers

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
Since Colt is trying to play the politically correct card why don’t they release a statement about which foreign countries they are supplying arms to.
You must've missed this part of the article....

"Colt’s Manufacturing Co. LLC, West Hartford, Connecticut, was awarded a $41,924,594 firm-fixed-price Foreign Military Sales (Afghanistan, Bahrain, Djibouti, Federated States of Micronesia, Hungary, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Macedonia, Marshall Islands, Palau, St. Vincent and Grenadines, and Tunisia) contract for production for the M4 and M4A1 carbines. One bid was solicited with one bid received. Work locations and funding will be determined with each order, with an estimated completion date of Sept. 18, 2024. U.S. Army Contracting Command, New Jersey, is the contracting activity (W15QKN-19-D-0116)"

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
Since Colt is trying to play the politically correct card why don’t they release a statement about which foreign countries they are supplying arms to. I’m sure more then a few of those will end up used against our soldiers

As Jimbo80 notes, the list of countries is in the article. And, to quote my post above, which in turn quoted the article to which I linked:

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Well, with that list of Countries Colt is supplying weapons to, I would expect to hear the progressive left/dems speaking out against Colt for selling weapons to oppress women and the LGTBQXYZ of the world.

Just me?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I'm not bothered by Colt keeping all its eggs in the "government contract" basket.

They've been surpassed by almost every other AR manufacturer (in regard to materials/innovations/finishes.....).

Colt is that much closer to closing down operations when the government loses interest in their products. F' em!

My money goes to companies like Hornady/Barrett/Patriot Ordnance Factory. These operations stop doing business with "gun rights" limiting States/Counties/Municipalities.
Ain't that the truth, and I'm a Colt guy from way back. Their AR's come with a neutered bolt, like you're gonna go full auto retard with it anyways while the rest of the AR industry uses a FA bolt carrier as standard fare?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Ain't that the truth, and I'm a Colt guy from way back. Their AR's come with a neutered bolt, like you're gonna go full auto retard with it anyways while the rest of the AR industry uses a FA bolt carrier as standard fare?

Yes. Colts been playing the "we don't trust American gun owners" game for a while now.

It makes the weasel words of the US market pullout press releases all that more insulting to me. The releases should have "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" across their tops.

Colt is HARDLY a victim of the oversaturated AR market in the US, they MADE this bed for themselves, intentionally.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
Their AR's come with a neutered bolt, like you're gonna go full auto retard with it anyways while the rest of the AR industry uses a FA bolt carrier as standard fare?
FA carriers are more durable … but they also weigh more. i.e. A sane reason (when building) not to use a FA carrier is to shave weight. Similarly, a sane reason (when selling) not to use a FA carrier is … cost. Put another way, it was probably a cost-saving measure.

On a (marginally, at best) related note, stock up on Beto Black Bricks (i.e. AR-15 lowers) while they're still cheap, because you can bet your butt they'll go up next year as the election approaches … and, depending on who wins … they could go up even more. I've been slowly buying them here and there across the last three years; probably time to snag a few more.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
Ammo too. I've more then doubled my "on hand" quantities, of practice AND defense ammo, in ALL calibers I own firearms in. I keep 5 figure ammo quantities in my safe now.

My "gun problem" has morphed into an "ammo problem".

·
Registered
5 Posts
So colt announced they will no longer make and sell AR-15's to the general public. Let's see who else follows. Hmmm.
Come on, man.
I haven't read every post so far, but holy moly, we should read the press releases and see what these companies are really up to before making assumptions based (probably) on the media's "excitement" about something like this.
Yep, I saw the stories and the interviews of local gun dealers who were clueless but excited by all the attention, so they were talking out of their a$$e$. But within 20 minutes of first seeing the news, I knew that Colt was simply turning all their capacity to fulfilling contracts. Given their recent history of money problems and the fact that their civilian AR-style MSRs are not very competitively priced, it only makes sense that they concentrate on where they are making money.
The media strikes again with another Fake News story. We know better than to fall for it. Have a great day!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts