Walther Forums banner

Colt 1911 22 517310

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Redcat94 
#1 ·
Hi any advice is colt 1911 22.lr good enough for shooting, any know what material is there as I had p22 before and had plenty issue with it the biggest was my slider crack so thinking now to buy a colt 1911 what do you think is it good idea?

#2 ·
We're talking the alloy Colt-labeled 1911 .22? I might not be being fair, but you might be better served with something else. Are Ruger .22s or Browning Buckmarks, or, best of all, Smith 41s, available on the auld sod?
Welcome aboard.
Moon

#3 ·
I've got both the P22 and the Umarex 1911 Government Model. My experience with both has been positive. The 1911 is more accurate than the P22 but needs to be kept clean and oiled to stay reliable. It helps if the slide rails get wiped down every two hundred rounds or so. However, I agree with Moon that you might be better served with a Buckmark or Ruger. The CZ75 Kadet is really nice to.

#5 ·
I just bought the Colt 1911 22. I have a P 22 and have had no problems with it. I also have a couple or Ruger Mark IVs that I use for competition. I bought the Colt because I wanted a 1911 style gun. Everything I've read about this model is positive.

I plan to use it for fun, mostly plinking and maybe for some steel shooting.

I had a GSG 1911 22 that was pretty good. My son wanted it so I gave it to him. I've been looking for a replacement for 2 years and they are not available. That's when I found the Colt (Walther) at Sportsman's Warehouse. I had to order it and the only model they had available was the Government Model. I may end up adding adjustable sights and a fiber optic front sight but I don't think I will invest a lot of money on accessories.

#6 ·
#7 ·
I just picked up my Colt 1911 22 today from Sportsman's Warehouse. I had ordered the Government Model because that's the only model available but I got a Gold Cup Trophy instead. I'm a happy camper.

Biggest difference is adjustable front and rear sight, beavertail grip safety and commander hammer.

Pics will follow. I'll get to shoot it Wednesday. I plan on breaking it in with Min Mags and Blazers so we will see what happens.

#9 ·

And here she is. Isn't she a beauty. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Only thing I don't like is the safety is stuck ( fixed it by cutting the spring a bit ) and the trigger pull is over 8 pounds. I have a new Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear and spring coming so I'll take care of the trigger and get it down to 4 - 4.5 pounds. A couple of friends say they can then make it under 3 pounds but I don't think I want to go that far.

#10 ·
And here she is. Isn't she a beauty. Hope it shoots as good as it looks.

Only thing I don't like is the safety is stuck ( fixed it by cutting the spring a bit ) and the trigger pull is over 8 pounds. I have a new Cylinder & Slide hammer, sear and spring coming so I'll take care of the trigger and get it down to 4 - 4.5 pounds. A couple of friends say they can then make it under 3 pounds but I don't think I want to go that far.
The safety on my 1911 would get stuck in the up (safe) position as well. Turns out the safety plunger tube was not staked correctly. Glad to hear you fixed the problem, but I might send your gun in for service. The safety isn't one of those things that you want to be tinkering with too much.

8lb trigger also seems abnormally high on a 1911. I haven't measured it but I'd estimate my Walther/Colt Rail Gun 1911 is much closer to the 4-6lb range. It's actually a lighter pull than my 45 Ruger SR1911.

#11 ·
My Cylinder & Slide trigger kit showed up today. Easily replaced, no gunsmithing required and the trigger pull is now 4 pounds 5 ounces. I can get it lighter by changing the mainspring but there's a small set screw holding the plunger in and I don't have an Allen Wrench that fits it yet.

#12 ·
My Cylinder & Slide trigger kit showed up today. Easily replaced, no gunsmithing required and the trigger pull is now 4 pounds 5 ounces. I can get it lighter by changing the mainspring but there's a small set screw holding the plunger in and I don't have an Allen Wrench that fits it yet.
My mistake, it wasn't a set screw, just a pin. Once I figured out how to get it out I had no trouble replacing the mainspring but I decided to get another housing and put a 17 pound mainspring in it.

I had troubles with the hammer following after I put the C&S kit in. I searched the web and found that it had to do with the tension of the sear spring. I ordered a few new springs and played with them. I finally figured it out today, I put all the OEM parts back in and with the new spring my trigger pull was 5.5 pounds averaged on my Lyman Digital Scale. I had no hammer follow and the gun felt great.

I got home and my new springs showed up so I took the gun apart again, put the C&S trigger kit back in with the lightest spring the didn't have hammer follow and trigger pull is now just over 3 pounds. If I'm smart I'll leave it alone.

#13 ·
Here's my Government Model.

It now has fiber optic sights from Dawson Precision, Colt medallion grips from Nutmeg Sports, and a full length guide rod, aluminum magazine base plate, and +3 magazine kit all from Taylor Tactical.

I'm happy with the trigger and safety so I'm leaving them be for now. I've thought about installing a Commander style hammer but if I did that I'd probably replace the trigger and safety too and I'm just not ready for all that work.

I'll buy a Gold Cup if I ever see one.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Wood stain
Air gun Mammal Trigger Gun barrel Wood stain

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.