Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have NINE (9); a mix of PPK and PPK/S in both Blue and Stainless (SS), with one being a Two-Tone; a West German .22LR with blued slide over stainless frame. My pistols are a mix of .22LR, 32ACP, and .380ACP.

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
The characteristic of a collection is that you don't know how many pieces there are in the collection. That's true in my case. At least I know that I own PP/TP series guns from nine different decades in four different calibres.

A German gun with a stainless frame? I'm quite sure that all stainless steel versions are of American origin.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Balogh: Well, as you can see in the photos below, the frame and slide serial numbers match, and there's that antler stamp right above the trigger. See where it says "Made in West Germany" too?
TWO-TONE PPKS ANTLER.jpg
TWO TONE W GER.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
@Balogh: Well, as you can see in the photos below, the frame and slide serial numbers match, and there's that antler stamp right above the trigger. See where it says "Made in West Germany" too?
Yes, it's a German made PPK/S and I can see everything you mention with the exception of a stainless frame. It seems to be chrome plated instead.

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
And here we have a Manurhin example similar to Balogh's assertion:

Past that if you know how many you have you aren't collecting enough... get busy...:)

Reactions: Balogh

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Yes, it's a German made PPK/S and I can see everything you mention with the exception of a stainless frame. It seems to be chrome plated instead.
You may well be right. I guess I'll try to figure it out later, after I pick it up tomorrow. Do you know of some way to determine what the finish is, if not stainless?

Well, you me going backwards! Man years ago, I had a beautiful CZ75 Compact that was a blued slide over a nickel frame. I really can't tell the difference, if it's more or less a matte finish anyway.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Aha, a little research up in the FAQ section tells me that though often mistaken for stainless steel they were actually "Nivel"; a matte electroless nickel. Makes sense then that this is what it is.

But a nagging question still exists: Note the serial number on the right hand side of the frame. It ends with the letter "S'...which I always told denoted it to be stainless steel. If Nivel is a type of matte nickel finish, why finish the guns in Nivel then stamp an "S"after the serial number?

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Note the serial number on the right hand side of the frame. It ends with the letter "S'...which I always told denoted it to be stainless steel.
The suffix "S" on a PPK/S frame of European production simply means that the PP frame belongs to a PPK/S. So the "S" basically means "Special". On American made Walthers on the other hand, the suffix "S" really stands for stainless steel.

Do you know of some way to determine what the finish is, if not stainless?
Unfortunately, no. Usually it's possible to determine that a finish was applied later by examining the gun but it can be difficult to tell exactly the finish.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I guess I'll try to figure it out later, after I pick it up tomorrow. Do you know of some way to determine what the finish is, if not stainless?
It may just be the lighting but the frame in your pics has a rough, sandy texture like its been bead blasted and left in the white.

But to answer your original question I currently have three PPK's, four PP's, two PP Sports, and a PP Super. Honorable mention goes to the competition, two Mauser HSc's and one Beretta 70.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Well thanks folks, I learned something new...again. I bet it’s that Nivel finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
111 Posts
Walther PP.32 ACPGerman made
Walther PPK.32 ACPGerman made
Walther PPK.380 ACPInterarms
Walther PPK/S.380 ACPGerman made
Walther PPK/S.380 ACPInterarms
Walther PPK/S.380 ACPFort Smith
Walther TPH.22 LRInterarms blue
Trooper Joe

·
Registered
127 Posts
Aha, a little research up in the FAQ section tells me that though often mistaken for stainless steel they were actually "Nivel"; a matte electroless nickel. Makes sense then that this is what it is.

But a nagging question still exists: Note the serial number on the right hand side of the frame. It ends with the letter "S'...which I always told denoted it to be stainless steel. If Nivel is a type of matte nickel finish, why finish the guns in Nivel then stamp an "S"after the serial number?
The ‘S’ on that gun does not mean stainless steel

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
Well thanks folks, I learned something new...again. I bet it’s that Nivel finish.
I'm not sure but it's possible that the Nivel finish can be seen exclusively on guns made by Manurhin mainly for export to the US. I never had the chance to see one in person.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not sure but it's possible that the Nivel finish can be seen exclusively on guns made by Manurhin mainly for export to the US. I never had the chance to see one in person.
I’m picking the gun up at my FFL this afternoon, the two-tone .22lr. I’ll get some better pics loaded and we’ll figure it out. From everything I’ve read since this thread was started it’s a Nivel finish on the frame. So I’ll just clean it with Breakfree as needed and use Hoppes #9 on the barrel and breech face. I don’t think Hoppes will hurt an electroless nickel finish but it’s probably best not to take a chance. It’s my understanding that a copper base was only with the older electro-plated finishes, not the newer electroless ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,669 Posts
I'll refer you to this post about Nivel and Durgarde:

Reactions: Balogh

·
Premium Member
1,963 Posts
I found this intersting post on the forum:

Is it possible that the finish was done in the US? That would be a plausible explanation why I've never seen such a gun in Europe.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts