Walther Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello again everyone,

Here is a 1964 Walther PP in 7.65mm.

I picked it up Friday after the interminable ten-day-wait imposed by the state. I got some .32ACP but have yet to fire it. I will be back to report and ask for help if there are any problems.

Another thing Kalifornia imposes is a safety drop-test.
http://www.gunownersalliance.com/Rabbi_0304.htm
I was just informed by my FFL that I can't easily buy a P5 because that model failed the test.:eek: Someday I will live in a more gun-friendly state.

Russell

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Funny you should mention that PH,

My wife says the same thing, for the climate not the gun laws.:rolleyes:
Not only that but it was in Florida last that I saw the P5 that I wanted to buy.:(
Guess I'll just have to wait for retirement.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
very nice rig.... I like PP's

·
Registered
60 Posts
Very nice PP. The coat of arms under the mag button should tell something about its past.

L.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Could somebody please answer this question. That specimen is the second in as many days that I've seen where the serial number on the slide is either the first three or the last three of the serial number on the frame. Granted, I haven't noticed that on PPs before, perhaps I didn't look closely enough, which is a big possibility.

So the question is, is that due to photochop? Or are they serialized that way?

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, here is the coat of arms. It looks like a crown over shield with a lion.

The sn on the slide is as it is, no photo-chopping here. I'm not sure why so many hide the numbers.

Thanks for the compliments on my new gun and choice of holster which was not with the gun I selected it.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
just to clear things up....
the coat of arms .... is it a bear ??

thanks

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uncut,

It could be a bear. The form looks more like a lion in the traditional form of European crests standing on hindquarters with forequarters extended. There is also a bear in similar pose that is used on some German flags.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Well you might be right
I am not 100% sure on the coats of arms but at first I thought it might have been Berlin, since they have a bear and we were talking about cold war..... but since you mention lion......
well look at them and decide for yourself....does it look like Hessen ?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hessen
or more like the Bear of Berlin
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin

·
Registered
60 Posts
I will check in Dieter Marshall's booklet. It pictures most Walther's stampings and coats of arms. I'll see also for the number on the slide. Probably a specific order of an authority, like the lanyard ring you find on some police PP/Ks.

L.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is most likely the Hessen crest as the five-pointed crown is also of similar dimensions. If the timeline matches then it looks like the question is answered. Thanks to Uncut and Larry for taking time to research.

Russell

·
Premium Member
4,590 Posts
Well I think you got your answer on the P38 Forum from Dieter....
the coat of arms is from Hessen.....:D

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UC

Actually I drew my conclusion from your links. Dieter confirmed it but I hadn't checked that board for several hours. It's not easy juggling forums all day while trying to hold down a full-time job. Glad I was able to convince the boss to get high-speed internet service.:p

Russell

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IHOP? UHOP? ItHOPs?:confused:

We (I and my PP) went to the range yesterday after oiling it up a bit. It performed magnificently with PMC FMJs but choked often on Fiocchi SJHPs. I won't be trying hollowpoints any more. It won't be a defense weapon anyway.
As with all my pistols it is more accurate than I am firing two-hands-unsupported at 25 feet. This little gun ia a pleasure to shoot: no bite, little recoil, comfortable trigger. SA seems lighter than my M1911-A1 (~4lb). DA is certainly easier than my P1. It's so easy to fieldstrip and clean that I will probably be taking it to the range often as soon as I get a supply of less expensive .32 ammo from Cole's.:D

Happy Easter and Passover everybody!:)

Russell

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm happy that others solved the coat of arms mystery. I couldn't find it in the booklet.

Good shooting, these PP in .32 are very nice!

L.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts