Walther Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This ABSOLUTELY goes against everything you know about shooting, and only works for the P99 type striker pistols, and is a REALLY bad idea unless you only carry a P99 like me.....but......

When I'm doing close combat drills at 3 yards or less I don't use sights. Since the striker hits pretty much dead center of the round, it points exactly where the bullet will hit.

I use the striker as a guide and get very fast and tight groups. At night I use the standard "front dot on target" technique and have no trouble transitioning betwen the two styles. Come to think of it, replacing that dab of red paint with phosphorescent paint might be a neat little tactical trick....

·
Registered
127 Posts
The basic technique sounds like a variation of the late Jim Cirillo's silhouette point shooting index. The difference is you are using the striker like an XS big dot.

The only thing is at more than arms length, you are raising the gun higher (moving it farther) than you would to get the sights in your visual plane. I'd have to try it with a shot timer to be sure but it seems like you would gain little time (and perhaps lose some), and lose accuracy.

Just my .02

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said, this technique may not be for everyone. I completely agree that the further away from the target you are the less effective it is. For those of you willing to try it, I'm interested to get feedback and see what you think.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts