Walther Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As requested -----

Close Combat Drills - Shooter?s Triangle

This technique is one of my favorites for close combat work. It allows for great weapon?s retention and is great for a fast accurate response to a close in attack. Please don?t mistake this technique for a ?fast draw? method ????. It is not. What it is ????. Is a ?stable platform? in which to shoot from once the weapon clears the Holster. I encourage students to practice drawing from their holsters??.. but I tell them never to depend on a fast draw to save their life. Fast draws are difficult at best??.. and can work if practiced enough so mistakes are not made. I prefer to teach ?thinking ahead of the threat curve? and placing oneself as quickly as possible into an offensive mode in response to reacting in a defensive mode at the onset of an attack. This can be accomplished in a variety of ways ??? the most common method is putting ?distance? between you and the attacker as well as some adequate ?cover?. Escape is the number one concern when being attacked and the means of accomplishing this goal should always be paramount in the victim?s mind. The pistol is merely a tool that will allow you to go from a defensive mode >>>> to offensive mode >>>>>> hopefully resulting in the means of Escape.

The STANCE : The shooter?s triangle is established once the weapon clears the holster.
The shooter needs to square off directly towards the attacker. If multiple targets are involved ??the shooter merely turns his whole body [ as if like a gun turret on a Tank] and faces each attacker. The pistol is held by both hands, close in to his body. The pistol will normally be held just above the belt buckle. Both elbows of the shooter?s arms will be held tight against the shooter?s rib cage. It is VERY important that the elbows squeeze the rib cage tightly. If the pistol were to be held perfectly horizontal to the ground at this point ??? you would hit the attacker near his waist band. So this method requires the shooter to elevate his weapon slightly?? so that the POI hits the attacker center mass ? high in the chest area. It is this ELEVATION that requires practice to become precise with the first volley. Target engagement distances should be no more than 15 feet and ideally around 12 feet away.

BURST Response: The shooter?s triangle [ because of its stable platform ] is perfect to engage the attacker with Over-Whelming force. NEVER rely on a single ?pistol? bullet to stop an attacker, nor 2 or even 3 . I teach a burst response of 6 rounds >>> fired at a speed of under 2 seconds. The shooter must learn this motor memory skill of a 6 round burst.
THEN >>>>> a quick reload >>>>> and review the situation for further armed response. While we are talking about re-loading ????.. students know never to come to any of my classes without an extra magazine for use in tactical reloading. An extra magazine is as essential as the weapon itself. Why ? Never rely on a single ?pistol? bullet to stop ????. !!! It is because of this strange nature that bullets seem to travel through a human body ???. That requires multiple hits to stop an attack. Students may load from an extra Mag. holder OR their pocket ----- whatever they will most likely use on the streets or their home. Additional Note on reloading >>>> Always use the Slingshot method of releasing the pistol?s slide if you have fired it ?dry?. Its fast and Positive and allows for a tiny bit better force applied to the first round stripped from the magazine.

ACCURACY: Expect to be able to hit an 11 ?? circle on a man size silhouette target.
In a shooting test requiring 120 rounds total being fired at several distances ----- 24 of them must be fired from this close combat platform with no misses.

PRACTICE Method : I go to my favorite Craft?s Store and but a packet of Poster Sized sheets of heavy paper. Next place a small bull?s eye in the center of this poster paper. Place a 6 inch extension on the top of this target to attach to the indoor range target clips.
This will lower the target to the proper height. Send the target down range to 10 feet away to start. The blank white background will allow the shooter to easily see where his bullets are hitting the target as he is shooting. This will help him ?walk? the bullets into the bull?s eye as he is shooting. Start off slow ??.and increase your speed as your accuracy improves. The key to this practice is allowing for instant shooters? feedback with the blank white target paper.

Good luck ??.let the group know how you do with this technique.

JF.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts