Walther Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
What do you guys think of Gunslick Foaming Bore Cleaner to clean both the bore and frame? It's ammonia free, but is it soft enough to use on the frame (i.e. Springs and moving parts)?

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
Many Walthers from the 30s grew up on a steady diet of Ballistol....all my Walthers wear Ballistol or they wear nothing at all...:D

Seriously I've used Ballistol over the course of many thousands of rounds and never had a problem with my weapons.

But as others have said there is no "magic bullet". Your weapon will get dirty and need cleaning and care. I'd imagine almost all will do a good job...I will say a friend used some Hoppes #9 on slide of my QFE and I didn't oil it afterward...there is a bleached area where the Hoppes was applied so if you use it make sure your treat the weapon with a nice oil afterward.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, brand new Walther gun owner here... this may seem like a silly question, but I see many use CLP (Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant) products like Break Free or Gunzilla to clean their guns. Yet I see many say they apply a light coat of some type of straight gun oil/lubricant. Is this necessary with a CLP product, or are other straight lubricants better at doing their job once cleaned than a CLP product will? Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cleaning and lubricating guns is a very opinionated topic as you can tell from all the previous posts in this thread. Fortunately, most all of the preferences will work just fine. After you have cleaned your gun, and it is ready for lubrication, follow the oft mentioned advice of: if it slides - grease it, and if it rotates - oil it. For oiling, you can use either a good gun oil or a good CLP but you don't need to use both. If you live in a dry climate, you will not need to lubricate much more than the slide rails and top of the slide with grease, and lightly lubricate the rotating parts with oil or CLP unless you are going to store the gun for 6 months or more. If that is the case, coat all surfaces with lubricants to protect from rust. If you live in a humid climate I suggest that you lubricate all surfaces and check each 6 months.
As for Frog Lube, I don't use it myself but can't be negative about it because I have no experience with it. I have read some articles which seem valid that say Frog Lube is just coconut oil with additives to make it green, give it a pleasant odor, and something to keep it from solidifying in cold temperatures. Hope this helps.

To add to the topic of cleaners and lubricants; here is a link to a very informative and interesting article on the subject.

http://www.realgunreviews.com/whats-really-in-gun-cleaners-lube/

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hoppe's Elite will work good too

I've had my PPQ since 11/14 and have been cleaning it with Hoppe's #9, and now I read it contains ammonia and Walther recommends ammonia free cleaners. The official cleaning video on the Walther website shows the PPQ being cleaned with Hoppe's #9. Just a bit confused as to what product I should use for a solvent. Yes, I'm a noob and trying to learn as much as I can about all aspects of gun ownership.
If you want to stick with Hoppe's the Elite Product from Hoppe's works. It's similar to the M-Pro 7 cleaner.

I use to use Hoppe's #9 on all my older guns. Remington Model 870 shotgun and Ruger 10/22 rifle. But that was 40 years ago.

After I got my PPQ about 3 years ago I started using other products They are mostly all good. But read the PPQ manual and do as it says. If it says don't use ammonia based products then I would not use them.

I will ass that the Safariland BreakFree Powder Blast Gun Cleaner contains ACETONE and TOLUENE and both of those products should NOT be used on polymer type guns from what I've read. It might work on the Steel parts but don't get it on the plastic for prolonged periods of time. Acetone is really hard on a lot of different types of plastic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I use Tetra and Amsoil firearm lube and 4 dots of grease on slide guides(Red Crown(488-1), all my guns I own, been real good for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can someone tell me, why they don't use any solvent on cleaning inside of the barrel?

Below Walthers official instructional video, barrel cleaning starting at 33 sec:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have used Hoppes #9 solvent for over 35 years, with bronze brushes inside the barrel, around the loading ramp and breach face and on the bolt face. After 5 minutes, I run 3-4 patches through the barrel, wipe everything down with paper towels, and go over everything with MPro 7 gun cleaner and a nylon brush. This product is a soapy liquid that works great on carbon deposits and any remaining oils and solvent. More patches thru the barrel and then hose everything down with Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber and wipe the entire gun down with a microfiber cloth.
The gun will be very clean and also as dry as a bone. Follow with a light coat of lubricant and grease in appropriate places and you are through. I have never had any damage to the gun finish on any gun after 35+ years.
I switched to Hoppes #9 Synthetic solvent about a year ago, and it seems to work just as good as the original.

·
Registered
87 Posts
After I clean the slide, barrel and frame, I soak them in a meat loaf pan full of alcohol to get all the solvent off. Then when everything is dry, I use a needle oiler and lube the points with Motorkote. :cool:

·
Premium Member
8,550 Posts
I was going to leave that youtube clip alone but I think that guy who made it must own stock in lube companies...man that seemed like a lot of over lubing....

My Qs get exposed to the ocean and have gone "swimming" more than a time or two and I'd never use that much lube on any of them either for cleaning or for getting them ready for carry.

Well I suppose there are as many methods for cleaning and lubing your Q as there are Q owners. I use Ballistol and very sparingly at that. I may on occasion use a tiny drop of Machine gunners' lube on the rail but past that nothing extra for cleaning my barrels, frames or anything else.

If my weapons go swimming I give them an ultra sonic bath in warm Simple Green than clean as normal.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I use G96 Gun Treatment over the whole gun, including the barrel. I even spray a little on a shaving brush and do the outside of the gun, doesn’t hurt the polymer parts. Doesn’t smell so no complaints from the wife. If the barrels really dirty try G96 bore solvent or Shooter’s Choice.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I use G96 Gun Treatment over the whole gun, including the barrel. I even spray a little on a shaving brush and do the outside of the gun, doesn’t hurt the polymer parts. Doesn’t smell so no complaints from the wife. If the barrels really dirty try G96 bore solvent or Shooter’s Choice.
I love G96 gun oil. I buy it only because to me it smells like bubblegum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Blue Wonder products work for me

Did you see the one guy does 50-80 passes in his barrel! :eek:

Whoa. I run the copper brush through 3-4 times then a few patches - clean as a whistle. 50?

Anyhow I use the Blue Wonder products. No smell so the kitchen table is available to me. There are many excellent products though. No doubt.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Shooter's Choice has ammonia in it? Right?

Everyone has a favorite cleaning solvent, for last couple of years I have been using Shooter's Choice with good results.

I try to avoid using any cleaner that has ammonia in it as the Walther's PPQ manual says to avoid using ammonia when cleaning the pistol.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts