Walther Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This product really works great. Also I use Breakfree CLP.
CorrosionX for Guns
I use Hoppe's 9 and CorrosionX for Guns on every handgun I own. I'm not maniacal about cleaning. I clean after every range visit, and I do a thorough job, but you can't "eat off" my guns. Recommended or not, that combo has never let me down. And I love that CorrosionX stays in place.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I am trying a relatively new CLP called FrogLube
I have only put 200 rounds through my PPQ since i started using this product. Smells nice, no malfunctions (expected none) seems to be doing its job. Product is all natural Plant based.
I am also doing a torture test on a Ruger Mark11 not cleaning it except a wipe down and a quick bore snake. I will keep y'all posted on my findings

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone use Gunzilla on their PPS? Any thoughts on it?
I've been using Gunzilla CLP on all of my firearms for about six months now. LOVE IT.

After a cleaning with Gunzilla, I follow-up with SlideGLide for lubrication.

Thinking about trying Weaponshield for lubrication for kicks. Otherwise, SlideGlie has never failed me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good post. I haven't cleaned my PPQ to the extent suggested by TheWombat, but for the few extra minutes it will take seems like it's worth it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good post. I haven't cleaned my PPQ to the extent suggested by TheWombat, but for the few extra minutes it will take seems like it's worth it.
Thanks - I typically do a thorough clean every 500-1000 rounds. If I just do a quick range visit then the clean afterwards is a little bit quicker.

Every so often I'll also remove the firing pin assembly and clean that as well.

If not already on njgunforums.com then we have some fellow NJ PPQ owners on there.

Welcome

TheWombat

·
Registered
69 Posts
I like to use good old Ballistol on pretty much the entire gun...
I use Ballistol on everything I own. Works great! I don't mind the smell, but it's certainly distinct and a little more pungent than others. I also have Hoppes, Sweets 7.62, and JB Bore Paste, but those mostly get used for when I'm doing a thorough cleaning of a milsurp rifle. If I need any other oil, I have a quart of Mobil 1 synthetic sitting around.

·
Registered
101 Posts
For cleaning the standard Hoppes and break free CLP. For lubrication I use Mil-Comm TW-25B grease and MC2500 oil. I have been using the stuff forever.

TXPO

·
Registered
38 Posts
After I looked at a TON of expensive kits I got a basic 20 dollar one from walmart. All of the kits I saw looked to have the same stuff so Why pay a ton?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I use Super-lube on all my guns. We used it at work on medical equipment before I retired. Just a little goes a long way.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Fluid Film, Hoppe's 9, 2 toothbrushes, Q-Tips, bore-snakes, couple microfiber clothes of different colors.

I have 2 bore-snakes for each caliper. One for the Hoppe's 9 and the other is for the Fluid Film. I have a small container I fill with Hoppe's and drop the barrel in for a few minutes. Pull it out and run the Hoppe's bore-snake through it a couple times and set it aside. Clean the firearm. Take the Fluid Film bore-snake and pull it through once or twice. This has some Fluid Film on the beginning center and end and after awhile pretty much through the entire thing. I clean both once every few months or so. Patch my barrels and they some out clean.

Hoppe's is fine to use on the metal springs in the lower but use common sense and don't leave it on any plastic. At the same time don't freak out if it gets on the plastic. Just do the cleaning and make sure its wiped off. Keep the microfiber clothes separate so your dirty Hoppe's cloth is separate from the drying/cleaning cloth and then another with some Fluid Film on it.

Wherever you put oil/lub I use Fluid Film plus a rub down of the entire firearm. After 2 years my guns are still in excellent condition.

I like to keep it simple and this is simple and cheap! In 2 years I'm on my 2nd bottle of Hoppe's 9 and 2nd can of Fluid Film which has been used for a number of other things as well. A few more cans in the garage at all times.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thirty years ago, I moved to Hawaii and was worried that I might have rust problems with my guns in such a humid climate. I tried a product called "Rust-Pruf". I immediately started to have rust form on all my guns. I was told to switch to "BreakFree CLP". I did, and have been using it ever since. I have never had a another rust problem. That stuff is great! One of the handiest things I have found for cleaning guns are cloth diapers. They're somewhat hard to find nowadays, but they can be located if you search a bit.
From snooping around various forums, it appears that the following list of gun oils are the most frequently recommended and used. There are undoubtedly others that are as good, but any of the ones on this list will do just fine no matter where you live:
BreakFree CLP
Ballistol (It has an odd smell)
Frogs Lube (A lot of work to apply, but users swear by it)
Gunzilla CLP

I also use Hoppes #9, or Shooter's Choice for barrel cleaning, but wipe it all off before lubricating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have some breakfree LP left over, is it ok to use that on the rails? or would it be best to use a more grease base lube? like slide glide?

Only products i have to clean with are:
leftover can of rem oil with teflon
m pro 7 cleaner
and break free LP.

should I add anything else to my cleaning products?

·
Premium Member
8,558 Posts
I just use Ballistol and every so often just a tiny bit of Shooter's Choice Tech Grease on the rails, guide and FPB

Reactions: GonzoGeezer
21 - 40 of 80 Posts