Walther Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have become a Walther fan after purchasing the PPKS. Now, I just bought the P22. I am a novice that has started enjoying going to the range. I want to take good care of my guns, but I hear the P22 can be a real challenge when it comes to disassembly/reassembly for cleaning. Does anyone have any suggestions/tips for me?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have found that you only have to remove the magazine and take the slide off to clean. I don’t take off the barrel or break down the pistol any further. I clean the barrel from the breach side this way and can clean everything else with an old tooth brush and gun cleaner. The only warning I have is to be careful with the slide catch spring as it can be easily pulled out with the tooth brush.

Before I reassemble my pistol I use a small amount of graphic grease on the slide rails and the matching parts on the frame. I use dry moly on the outside of the barrel to give some conditioning between the slide and barrel.

The only trick to putting it back together is using the guide rod, (small plastic stick) to help guide the recoil spring back into the slide. This is not really that hard, but it does take some practice and luck.

If your P22 is like mine, it works very well if clean and lubed, but mine does not tolerate any gunk or dirt. If I am shooting cheap dirty ammo, I can only get 100 rounds through it before it starts to give me fits. I don’t have to shoot the most expensive ammo through it, but if I stay with copper coated rounds, I can shoot double or even triple that before it demands to be cleaned.

Good Luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts