Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello- new to forum! I purchased a PPS M2 RMSc last week, shot it yesterday- wow! The red dot optic learning curve is not at all difficult- love the weapon! I cleaned it, and am trying to find a cleaner/solvent to clean the lens of the optic that is available here in the US. I've seen the youtube from Shield, that solvent is not available here.

What is the preferred solvent for cleaning the RMSc lens?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and since no one has offered an answer to your query I'll have a shot.

You seem to be confusing the brand name of a product with the actual name of the solvent, which is Butanone (shown clearly in the Shield tutorial video). It is also known as Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or M.E.K. (also shown in the video).

This is a very widely-used industrial solvent and, while I don't live in the U.S., I am quite certain that you will find it there if you use the appropriate search words.

Good luck.

Balor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum, and since no one has offered an answer to your query I'll have a shot.

You seem to be confusing the brand name of a product with the actual name of the solvent, which is Butanone (shown clearly in the Shield tutorial video). It is also known as Methyl Ethyl Ketone, or M.E.K. (also shown in the video).

This is a very widely-used industrial solvent and, while I don't live in the U.S., I am quite certain that you will find it there if you use the appropriate search words.

Good luck.

Balor
Thank yoy, that is exactly what I was doing. Found it a d local.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Cleaning Optic

I've cleaned camera optics regularly for most of my life as well as the glasses I wear every day since I was 10 (I'm almost 60). Virtually all modern optics are coated in some way and red dot sights are no exception. It's no surprise that the maker would recommend a solvent such as MEK, 97% pure Isopropl alcohol, or MEC (methylene chloride).

However, it's not as simple as that. Some of the issue will have to do with what the optic is/is on, and what's on it. I'd suggest you spend a little time looking at some research to see what specific recommendations for the situation would be. Here's a link to something that I looked up that appears pretty comprehensive:
https://www.researchgate.net/post/What_is_the_best_solvent_for_cleaning_optical_lenses_with_coating

It's really not so much getting whatever the foreign substance is, than it's not scratching the coatings while do it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I found MEK at either Home Depot or Lowes, can't recall which. I used it with a Q tip, no issues.

·
Premium Member
13,554 Posts
I either use my air compressor or a can of 'canned air' to blow off any cookie crumbs, THEN hit it with a little cleaner and a Q-tip.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Or just plain damp wipe lens cleaners individually foil wrapped. Same as one glasses, being singles, bi-focals or tri-focals.
Some scope mfgs make them . . . . nikon did, Burris did long ago. But straight out of the drug store or camera shop is fine ! ! ! !
A lens pen brush is also a good thing. (y)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts