Walther Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent some time at the range today. I used Hoppe's gun cleaner and was not to impresed with it. It will dry so fast i had to clean resedue. I found if i use a regular oil + q-tips, it will perform better. How do you take care of of your pice?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm using M Pro 7 and Mil-Comm MC25 to clean and Weapon Shield to protect/lube my guns. Seems to be working very well.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I love slip 2000 products. For cleaning the carbon killer or the copper cutter, depending on the application, works wonders but you HAVE to follow it up with lube. Slip ewl & ewl 30 for wet lube and slide glide lite on the rails. Buttery smooth operation is nice!

Cerakote also works pretty well believe it or not. I ran my p30 bone dry (besides trigger internals) for 500 rounds after the cerakote job with no issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Since I've discovered Gunzilla, it's been my goto choice for cleaner. Does an amazing job on carbon build up and breaks down dirty grease that I use for lube...

Gunzilla

After a cleaning with Gunzilla, I zap the internals and slide with Powder Blast from BreakFree. I like it because its a good final cleaner for the nooks and crannies I might have missed.

Finally, I lube with Brian Eno's Slide Glide. (Although I am going to try out SlipStream grease and lube this week)

Ultimately, it all works pretty good. It's what YOU find works best for your cleaning procedures.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Brakekleen (green can/non-chlorinated), gusnslick graphite grease on the rails (any grease really, just what I have on hand at the moment) and rem-oil. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Weapon Shield CLP does it all very well for me. Bill

·
Registered
104 Posts
I bought the complete M-Pro7 kit a while back (Cleaner, oil, and copper remover with a nice case and accessories). I absolutely love the stuff. I just ordered another bottle of the cleaner from amazon because I used up the 4oz bottle that came in the kit. Amazon has good prices on it and it's by far the best stuff I've ever used. Best of all, NO SMELL! :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Slip 2000...or go home.

PS: No one refers to a modern handgun as a "piece". This isn't a 1990's action film. ;)

·
Registered
924 Posts
Since I've discovered Gunzilla, it's been my goto choice for cleaner. Does an amazing job on carbon build up and breaks down dirty grease that I use for lube...

That stuff is pure crap!! I asked for my money back & they ignored their guarantee. I tried some of it on a stainless steel revolver cylinder face. I let it soak for a day and then even used a bronze brush with it. It did absolutely NOTHING. :rolleyes: Snakeoil!!

MPRO7 is far better.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Have you considered Frog Lube? Been using it for about 1 year and I'm thoroughly impressed. Your first application strip your entire gun inside out with denatured alcohol to rid any petroleum from previous products you've used before. Heat up your gun with a blow dryer and apply liberally with Frog Lube except striker channel. But other wise wipe it everywhere! Wait an hour and buff it with a clean rag. Shoot the heck out of your gun and just wipe it clean and your good to go! It's really an amazing product and Eco friendly.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Which Hoppes did you use?? I use Hoppes NO. 9 and have been for almost 50 years and it is a great product and I never had a problem with it drying unless left on for a very very long time before drying - after all it is a solvent.

As far as my PPQ I lube it with either Weaponshield CLP or M-Pro 7 LPX with great results. They can be used as a cleaner also but I prefer Hoppes NO. 9 for a cleaner - especially for the bore.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Froglube is roller coaster lubricant repackaged as "new & novel". Hello, suckerssssssssss!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Froglube is roller coaster lubricant repackaged as "new & novel". Hello, suckerssssssssss!! :rolleyes:
Geez BPMan, do you bash any lube\cleaner that is not the one you use?

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I and several officers on San Diego PD love Gunzilla.

Plenty of people (military, leo and civilians) also love and swear by FL.

Tone down the rhetoric a little.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Geez BPMan, do you bash any lube\cleaner that is not the one you use?

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I and several officers on San Diego PD love Gunzilla.

Plenty of people (military, leo and civilians) also love and swear by FL.

Tone down the rhetoric a little.

Subjective opinions mean nothing re lubricant/cleaners. So someone says "gee, it feels slick" is hardly scientifically objective. Moreso, when a co. refuses to release scientifically objective data by an independent third party then be skeptical...........very. Many cos. nowadays pay people to write good reviews on the Internet as well as have "shills" post. Saying a Navy SEAL uses your product means little scientifically as most SEAL's are not trichologists. Trust facts, not opinions.

The Military spent a lot of money testing for a new CLP and G96 CLP was the winner. Most of the other cos. didn't even submit an entrant. I wonder why. Maybe they were afraid a wintergreen smell might alert the enemy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
8 Posts
So let me get this straight...your earlier post you say MPro7, but now you say G96?

Haven't read anything (recent) about MPro7 being Army blessed. Perhaps back in 2010 it was the go-to choice. For that matter, Militec-1 looks to be used officially but a number of .gov departments. Are they any less?

Again, the rhetoric is tiring and because your experience with Gunzilla was bad, does that mean the dozens of people I know personally who use it and love it are crazy?

What about SlideGlide? Used by a number of professional shooters. What about TW-25b, recommended by Sig with a sample included in all Sig pistols. Since the SEALs use the MK-25, does that indirectly mean they choose TW-25b as their lube of choice.

You see, I could go on and on. When it comes to lube myopia, the argument usally boils down to who uses what blah blah blah. It's tiresome and probably the single most boring discussion next to "best round for home defense".

And if you think the Army always buys the best...you are sorely mistaken my keyboard commando friend.

Subjective opinions mean nothing re lubricant/cleaners. So someone says "gee, it feels slick" is hardly scientifically objective. Moreso, when a co. refuses to release scientifically objective data by an independent third party then be skeptical...........very. Many cos. nowadays pay people to write good reviews on the Internet as well as have "shills" post. Saying a Navy SEAL uses your product means little scientifically as most SEAL's are not trichologists. Trust facts, not opinions.

The Military spent a lot of money testing for a new CLP and G96 CLP was the winner. Most of the other cos. didn't even submit an entrant. I wonder why. Maybe they were afraid a wintergreen smell might alert the enemy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
610 Posts
Guys, don't believe ANYTHING you read, damn near anywhere until you've gone hands on, or heard from someone to trust. When was the last time the military chose the best product? ;)

Militec-1 has a big following..but is detrimental to weapons (it soaks into the metal, and you get more parts breakages). It's had it's NSN numbers cancelled though they're trying to reinstate it.

http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d09735r.pdf

CLP is sub-par when compared to products like Slip 2000. Pat Rogers ran a couple of rifles 10,000 rounds without cleaning, and the CLP/Slip 2000 differences were night and day. Hoppes 9 is okay, but is ancient in terms of modern science.

Frog Lube sounds like one of those dry-teflon style coatings, and I have no personal experience with it. You know what all of us can do? Test the stuff yourself. Put 1,000-1,500 rounds through your PPQ with whatever ammo you want, and don't clean the gun.

I run small amounts of Slip 2000, and I haven't cleaned my First Edition in about 1,000 rounds, no problems so far. With all handguns, and civilian semi-auto rifles, the chances are NONE of us will ever see the round counts needed to get into parts breakages, metal issues with any of these lubes.

Add all this to the fact that most people over-clean your firearms to start with...just chill out, lube the gun on occasion and shoot the damn things, guys. :D

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
I've always been curious how someone proves that one lube lubricates better than another, in a pistol.

Short of torture and endurance testing, I doubt someone would notice a difference between the next best thing, and the thing before it. Can someone prove how one lube lubes better than sowing machine oil, or automotive grease? I'd actually be even more curious if someone could state what lubes do not work?

The same debates come up on automotive forums all the time in regards to engine oil. The longevity of the engine rarely seems to depend on what lube was used. There are more important things to think of when trying to improve durability.

On a pistol, I think I would be more concerned with recoil spring replacements than lube options.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts