Walther Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new to this forum (but not new to the firearms my dad owned a beretta 92fs, beretta cougar, smith and wesson custom IPCS gun, a few revolver 2 357 python and 44 anaconda)!
my dad and i recently got a P99 and a FN FNP-9 both are polymer frame guns and we started to read one the internet try to find the best way to clean and not damage the polymer.
For a while we used mineral spirit but not knowing if it was gonna damage the guns we stopped using that and now we are using BREAK-FREE CLP. i also called FN (and try getting in contact with walther but never got any replies) and they told me that BREAK FREE Powder Blast Gun Cleaner, works well on the polymer cause it pretty much dries on contact. i also read that leaving oil on the polymer would make it soften up, and the BREAK-FREE CLP being an all in one product im afraid it might happen.

so the question is what do u guys use to clean the polymer part with all the little metal parts that are in it?

sorry if its a really newbie question, and i tried looking in the FAQs but weren t able to find anything

·
Registered
4,343 Posts
Breakfree CLP is fine to clean all of your guns - That is what I have used for years - and all I have are polymer framed handguns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Breakfree CLP is fine to clean all of your guns - That is what I have used for years - and all I have are polymer framed handguns.
I agree. CLP is great stuff. Polymer is tougher than most people give it credit for. Any pistol that would melt from the use of a cleaner could not be considered for use as a service pistol.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot guys! appreciate the help and im looking forward to rom around some more around here get to learn more about the P99.

i will order one of those gallon jugs of BREAK FREE CLP

btw i own a QA and i love the constant trigger pull. the FNP9 is fun to shoot to do the double tap though :D

·
Registered
536 Posts
Definately stay away from mineral spirits, and anything remotely related to auto repair. I dont really want to start a cleaning products debate, but IMO the only thing you should clean your gun with is a gun cleaning product.

CLP is a great choice.

thorn

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Definately stay away from mineral spirits, and anything remotely related to auto repair. I dont really want to start a cleaning products debate, but IMO the only thing you should clean your gun with is a gun cleaning product.

CLP is a great choice.

thorn
its just on the bottle is says it is usable for gun cleaning my dad used it one all is all metal guns for years and he is a clean freak, cleans them right after coming home from the range. he never had a single problem with any of them.

but yes i will continue to use CLP from now on, it is an amazing product now that i know i won t damage the polymer or soften it up

·
Registered
71 Posts
I 'ONLY" use break free clp. works for my AR and Kimber stainless Grand Raptor as well. No problems at all with the "plastic" on my Walther!:)

·
Registered
358 Posts
My walthers in general see the best care money can buy. That said...

Simple green is probably one of the better products on the market, its been used by tons and tons of profesional gun smiths to include the guys at AGI, and wont even hurt wood most wood finishes.

I am a personal fan of tetra, and Miltec (great stuff)

·
Premium Member
4,589 Posts
Nylon bore brush, copper bore brush, patches
Hoppes#9 for the barrel and slide
also on a toothbrush to clean off the springs in the frame and then a can of compressed air to spray the frame
miltec1 ( I use TW25B synthetic a copy from Kleenbore)
Break Free - Greased lightning (not too much just a light cover on the barrel in and out)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts