Walther Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still waiting for my P99 but I thought I'd prepare for its arrival.  It will be my first pistol so does cleaning kit matter?  Can I just pick up something from walmart or is there a brand that has better performing stuff in it?

Its a good idea to clean it before taking it out its first time I understand?

·
Registered
821 Posts
The universal cleaning kit from Wally World will be fine.  

BUT, for a few extra dollas, go to Bass Pro, or your local gunstore, and get something like the KleenBore cleaning kit specifically for your caliber.  I think the tools are a bit nicer, and it comes with a bronze brush.

I use Hoppes no. 9 powder solvent, the classic, and RemOil for lube.  Lots here use breakfree CLP with success, but I can't stand the smell.  You'll end up trying a lot of stuff, and sticking with what works for you.

Like I said, though, the wally world outers kit will do at first.

Be sure that you give it a good cleaning to remove the factory grease, and a good relube before shooting.  Welcome to the shooting world, be safe!

-stunks

·
Registered
51 Posts
You might try some Hoppes Elite, also known as M-Pro 7. It has none of the toxic vapors and cleans out powder, lead, and copper very well. Harmless to the polymers used by Walther and others. I never thought I'd find a better product than old No. 9, but I'm now a believer. Breakfree CLP or Militec-1 are good lubes. I live in a hot, humid environment and the CLP seems to do the best at protecting non-stainless steel from rust.

ciadst

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have a Hope 9 Bore Snake for every caliber I've got, .22/.223, 9mm, and .308/7.62x54R. Put a little Break Free CLP on it, pull it through the bore a few times and toss it in the wash cycle. I use an old, used, toothbrush and some patches to clean the rest of the gun and still use CLP for that. Also brake cleaner works well. It's basically CLP without the lubricant. For the Draggie, which I shoot corrosive surplus ammo through, I use warm Windex first, and rinse before the brake cleaner, bore brush and CLP. Works well. The brush is about $15 from Carter's Country, the CLP is about $5, and the patches I just buy from Wally World.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I use CLP for all my regular cleanings, the hoppes #9 every or every other shooting outing, and RemOil dry lube on the rails.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Soybomb, the Police kit also contains a copper solvent that is not in the classic kit, but I don't think a 2 oz bottle is worth the extra $6+

The classic kit is just fine, although as others suggest you might want to pick up the smallest bottle of Break Free CLP and a small bottle of Hoppes #9 or Hoppes Elite. I haven't used my bottle of Hoppes Elite yet, so can't speak for its utility. Try the smallest bottle of different products until you find one that you like.

The lubricant that comes with the kit is just ok, in my opinion. I use CLP for my lubricant needs, but I have friends that swear by RemOil...

I do recommend getting a small BRIGHT flashlight that you can use to better illuminate the deep dark corners of your pistol while cleaning, so you can better see the crud in the crevices.

I also recommend getting a dental pick the next time you go to an Army surplus store or gun show. DON'T press hard when using it to get gunk out of corners and crevices, but I find gentle use can help clean crevices very easily.

If you're near Portland Oregon, I'd be happy to give you pointers...

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a dental pick that has a dull tip. You can use it with a patch over the tip to get into the crevices all pistols have. Works great on the machined slots above the trigger assembly on a Beretta 92-series. Nothing else seemed to work.

ciadst

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you want it really clean get some electric parts cleaner, its a little pricey but it work great on guns and RC cars, wont hurt plastic.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Yes. Clean your gun before you shoot it although it will work out of the box.

I bought a Tetra Gun kit that cam with everything I needed for my 9mm. Don't get the Tetra gun cleaning patches cause they seem to have more loose lint than patch in them. Maybe a 100-pack of latex gloves from Publix(grocery store) because you are dealing with corrosive oils and cleaner that you may not want on your skin and will prevent your hands from getting slippery while cleaning. What the other guys said too.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
[b said:
Quote[/b] (onebigcubano @ Aug. 20 2005,14:26)]Support your local gun store when possible because Wally World doesn't care about you or your guns.
My local gun store doesn't either or I would have bought the gun from him, instead I went online and he gets none of my money ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts