Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While cleaning my PPK/S, I have a lot of difficulty getting in all the nooks and crannys in the slide, particularly aroung the rails and firing pin area. Do you guys disassemble the slide to clean or do you just use Q-tips or something? If you do do any disassembling, how do yall do it?

·
Registered
361 Posts
I don't disassemble the slide. I just use a patch and then with a set of plastic picks (like dental picks) I clean the hard to reach areas. The picks were available in the gun cleaning section of my local gun shop. Maybe you can see if they have something similar at your shop or I know you find something online.

·
Registered
81 Posts
While cleaning my PPK/S, I have a lot of difficulty getting in all the nooks and crannys in the slide, particularly aroung the rails and firing pin area. Do you guys disassemble the slide to clean or do you just use Q-tips or something? If you do do any disassembling, how do yall do it?
Every three (or so) cleanings I disassemble the bolt and pull the trigger and trigger bar for a comprehensive cleaning. Otherwise, I take my time and use a couple of pipe-cleaners on the hard to reach areas. I find that the loaded-chamber indicator, firing pin, and the trigger recess in the frame get pretty fouled up and its the only way to get the crud out.

As for taking the bolt apart, maybe someone can post a link to the formal instructions, as its not the easiest thing in the world to do and I'm a bit of a hack.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Take the grips off. Put them in another room. Buy a bottle of brake cleaner at Walmart and spray everywhere except the grips. Then spray with Breakfree CLP and let air dry. You're done.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I simply wrap a patch around a "nail stick." They're in the lady's fingernail polish area at Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Walgreens, etc. There are wooden nail sticks and plastic nail sticks. They're very, very cheap and last almost forever. Women use them for removing nail polish and for pushing their cuticles down to apply polish only to their nails. They give you some serious leverage to get in those nooks and crannys (or is it crannies?) and really clean them out. I like them alot for running a patch down the slide rails and just about everywhere else.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I don't disassemble the slide. I just use a patch and then with a set of plastic picks (like dental picks) I clean the hard to reach areas. The picks were available in the gun cleaning section of my local gun shop. Maybe you can see if they have something similar at your shop or I know you find something online.
These?

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=778870

They're great. I got them as an afterthought on an order, but they've become one of the handiest cleaning accessories I own.

·
Registered
361 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts