Walther Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am new to gun owning. I've put 750 rounds through my P99 so far. I just got back from the range after putting 150 rounds through it. My question is how well should I clean it? I just ran my bore snake through the barrell, got all the little thingies out (yea, real technical). So should I go ahead and break out the Lube and the powder spray and give it a good work down? Should I do this after every trip to the range, or is there a general set number of rounds to put through it before cleaning? It doesn't look too dirty in the firing assembly, but I'm not sure if this is bad to leave in or if I should clean it out...

Thanks for the help,

Jon the n00b

·
Registered
333 Posts
I clean my guns everytime I come back from the range...this means breaking them down. Taking off the slide and removing the barrel and recoil spring is good enough. The purpose of this breakdown....is not so much cleaning as it is a "safety Inspection" of the weapon. You can catch problems that might cause a FTF with this simple practice. Cleaning and inspection is just as enjoyable for me a firing it on the range.
Check out some past threads on "cleaning"......I think it will prove helpful to you.

JF

·
Registered
14 Posts
/agree with sniper350. I as well clean it after my trips to the range. And I've done some external cleaning inbetween even--but then again I'm pretty anal about it lol

Make sure also when you clean it to really get all the crevises. I missed a bit the first time but I cleaned what I found the 2nd time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is fun, I just wasn't sure if it was necesary.

Thanks for the replies guys, while waiting I did clean it, but its good to know for future reference.

-- j

·
Registered
354 Posts
Every military unit I have ever seen to include forign ones clean there weapons all the time. This also tends to happen on a regular basis even if it isnt shot.

That being said I put 1100 rounds (11 boxes of winchester) through my full size and it wasnt a issue.

Better to be clean and safe then sorry because something is foweled up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
+1 on cleaning it after every range trip. My P99 is my carry piece, so it gets torn down and thoroughly cleaned every Friday evening. Amazing what kinda sh*t gets in the cracks of the pistol even if it only goes from the holster to the hotel nightstand and the reverse for a week.

A clean pistol is a happy pistol

·
Registered
160 Posts
The main point is to keep it slightly oiled for rust prevention.  Anywhere after you touch it with your greasy hands wipe it down to prevent corosion/rust, especially before storing it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Most modern weapons and ammo do not need to be cleaned like in the old days of blackpowder and corrosive primers - so you get different schools of thought on cleaning. About the only thing you need to worry about is fouling build up in the barrel and humidity as that can cause scaling rust. So if you carry, or store the gun in a humid environment, you might want to swab the barrel out before putting it up. If you keep the gun in an airconditioned environment, then you can probably skip this step a time or two.

My thoughts are to keep the pistol clean and lubed, so that's the condition its in if you ever need to "go to it". With that said, cleaning doesn't have to be a detail job, field strip, clean and lube is sufficient. I just detailed stripped and cleaned my BHP after nearly 20 years - but it was always free of carbon build up and grit on the parts that mattered for those 20 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
every 5k or so. not really worried. not a carry piece. no adverse wear evident. put the first 7k through with no cleaning. do a search on my name. 25k to date. trigger is great now. started dumping the hk's except for the ones i've got a can for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts