Walther Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best way to clean out the nooks and crannies in the fire control assy? I don't really want to break the weapon down and drift those pins out...but would like to clean/degrease all the gunk that could be in there and give it a good militec treatment.
gun scrubber?
simple green?
hot water and a hair dryer?
any advice appreciated
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
232 Posts
Well, in theory the dish washer would do it, but I just zap it with brake cleaner blow it out and dribble a little clp in there. Turn the gun upside down and let the rest come out.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Brake parts cleaner.
Get non chlorinated.
hate to say it but Wal-Mart sells it cheap.

·
Registered
112 Posts
A while back read from a reliable source that the gun scrubber products were ok to use on the P99 so I have been using them for a couple of years now, and appear to be no adverse effects so far that I can tell. Walther must use really good paint for their white dots on the sights as the gub scrubber does not bother them but on my S&W 3913, it removed the dots, made them slide right off the sight. I have heard others say that is the only thing to be cautious about with the gun scrubbers, that they may remove paint along with the dirt and oil and grease. However, having said that, probably will not be 100% certain it is ok product until a few more years of use or until hear more reviews from more P99 owners.

·
Registered
232 Posts
actually it says in the manual that it's possible for some of the indicators (I think loaded chamber?) to be removed by gun scrubber.

·
Registered
112 Posts
toeball,
So maybe if Walther has indicated those are the only problems with gun scrubbers, that could/should be construed as an official ok that it will not hurt the frame, what do you think?

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't know. I know brake cleaner is the same stuff as CLP but without the lube. I personally stick to that... You can always stick it in the dish washer, just make sure to use the top shelf.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I picked up some new type of gun scrubber that is more "kindler, gentler" or whatever-just wanted to make sure it was OK for frames and any internal plastic parts.
worked fine, didn't stink like the older stuff.
saw breakfree had a similar product "powder blast" i think, but i was not sure what it would do to a frame so i didn't take a chance.
blasted everything out, and 15 minutes later w/ some militec and a hair dryer she's nice and slick.
cheers,
Derek

·
Registered
37 Posts
[b said:
Quote[/b] (toeball @ Sep. 10 2005,08:22)]I don't know. I know brake cleaner is the same stuff as CLP but without the lube. I personally stick to that... You can always stick it in the dish washer, just make sure to use the top shelf.
I would think brake cleaner is much stronger than CLP. I have soaked and hosed parts in CLP, but the fouling still stays there until it is wiped away, sometimes requiring very aggressive rubbing.

With brake cleaner or Gun Scrubber, a squirt will blast everything off, the crap just drips away leaving a totally clean part.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts