Walther Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello,
I used Ballistol cleaner, lubricant and preservative.
Ballistol was invented in Germany before WW I and is an excellent product on the old bluing on our Walthers. I have all my early PPs and PPKs covered with Ballistol and stored in the Bore Stor bags that allow your guns to breath, while encased in a protective silicon treated bag that wicks off moisture. You can buy it on line or at most gun shows.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Gotta throw my vote in for Ballistol as well. Haven't seen a spot of rust on any of my firearms since I began wiping them down with it. Smells pretty good too...

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
...Smells pretty good too...
And as we all know, that's most important! The froggy stuff smells like peppermint, Hoppes smells like fine cologne and I've yet to find Ballistol to form an opinion. Hopefully it doesn't smell like Krauts - I have enough experience with that!

-Pilotsteve

·
Registered
929 Posts
Hello,
I used Ballistol cleaner, lubricant and preservative.
Ballistol was invented in Germany before WW I and is an excellent product on the old bluing on our Walthers. I have all my early PPs and PPKs covered with Ballistol and stored in the Bore Stor bags that allow your guns to breath, while encased in a protective silicon treated bag that wicks off moisture. You can buy it on line or at most gun shows.
Agree, Bore Store socks are the best!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I know I will take more ribbing on this but Frog Lube is great. I haven't found Ballistol yet but I think the Frog is all I need. Look it up on www.froglube.com ,it does have some super referances.

I am boxing all my other cleaners and oil because this stuff is super to work with. It doesn't eat your plastic, or melt your site paint but it does make everything really slick & washs off your hands with soap & water & does smell like mint. I know moon likes Hoppes, but look at this. I have the slickest PPK 380 I ever had.

Some of that other cleaner I had & it was good stuff ,you needed a mask to use. Try the Frog , you will like it. It is also supposed to be good for storage but i don't know yet.

I forgot to add, it was 8 Navy Seals that developed it & are supposed to use it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Agree with Gene 1....hands down, Frog-Lube, its the best of all the cleaner, lubricant and preservatives I have ever used. New PPK .380 flawless 200 rounds, FMJ & JHP.

·
Registered
964 Posts
just an aside on the ballistol if you check out their info it tells you that treating your leather holsters with ballistol will neutralize the acidity of the salts and preserve the leather and help to keep it supple and will make it a suitable storage container for the very thing it was designed to carry and protect .It has worked beautifully for my P-38 and it's holster as well as my PP and it's covered holster.A friend had a p-38 his dad brought home from the war said it was always stored in the holster guess what the holster smells like ? ayb p.s. come to think of it that was what my P-38 holster smelled like when it was first removed from the box the first time I ever saw it I never put 2 and 2 together till just now ,I knew that smell was familiar.

·
Registered
2,780 Posts
I also have taken to using plastic bag storage for guns with boxes that play well within my limited storage space. The pieces stored without boxes are in gun socks. Everything gets light oiling internally with Ballistol and the outside wiped with a silicone cloth before being bagged or socked. A-OK so far.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts