Walther Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello…Forum noob here.

For my Christmas bonus this year my Boss bought me a new P22 with the 5” barrel and stabilizer.  We are members at a small local Gun Club and he thought I was lacking not having a .22.  It is my first Walther handgun.  I haven’t made it out to the range yet but admit that I like the feel and look of the gun.  Now I’m looking at the P99 as a possible carry handgun in the future.  But after reading around the net I have to admit that I’m a little nervous about the selection of the P22.  Seems like there is a lot of complaints about jams and wear.  So here are a few questions I have.

How am I going to like this gun once I fire it?  
Do you have any suggestions to help prevent jamming/wear issue?  
What type of ammo should I use, lead, jacketed, hallow points?
Where was this gun made?  Has Smith & Wesson Springfield, MA and Made in Germany on the slide.

Thanks for any help; I invite feedback from the members here.

Regards, Dan

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Wow nice boss

How am I going to like this gun once I fire it?

You'll love it. I love mine, it is a hoot to shoot and my daughter loves to shoot it too - especially with my little suppressor on it.

Do you have any suggestions to help prevent jamming/wear issue?

Clean and lube it before you shoot it. Make sure you lube the rail tabs, preferrably with a TetraGrease like substance.

What type of ammo should I use, lead, jacketed, hallow points?

.22LR only comes in lead, but you can get copper plated hollow points. It took about 200 rounds of high velocity ammo to break mine in. But I also didn't have the -A magazines (new reworked ones which should be included with yours). I would buy some good quality high velocity ammo to start with, see if you have issues, if not, try some other stuff. If you do have feeding/FTF problems, keep shooting until you have fired at least 200 rounds before getting frustrated.

Where was this gun made? Has Smith & Wesson Springfield, MA and Made in Germany on the slide.

It was made in Germany. Smith & Wesson is the importer.

Regards,
James

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Made it to the range today with the new P22.  I fired 200 rounds of Remington Thunderbolts and had no jamming whatsoever.  However one round misfired or actually didn’t fire.  When I would release the slide after loading the magazine it would stick and needed a little help a couple time but by the last fifty rounds it was moving freely.  The gun is still in one piece.  As far as accuracy is concern it seem Ok to me, in my case it’s more the shooter and not the gun that’s an issue.

Overall I am happy with the gun so far and I think the gun is a lot of fun to shoot. It is also a lot cheaper to shoot 200 rounds thru it then my Beretta .40 or S&W .357 mag. I can see a P99 in my future.

Regards, Dan

·
Registered
88 Posts
I love my P22. I like the feel alot even tho the grip is small. It is fun to shoot and cheap. I have found that Federal, cheapist stuff i can find, from walmart work the best. I found the Remington stuff less reliable. I have a "crap" mag i put it. becasue that is exactly what it is. I have the 5in barrel and think that it is acruate. in my case also the operater is more at error than the gun. Only complaints is the 1 faulty mag and very bad customer service. (Ok worthless customer service) I have not had the the unusial slide wear that some had expericend. Happy shooting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been very happy with the P22 I bought a couple of years ago. Despite others' experiences to the contrary, my P22 has been very reliable in every respect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts