Walther Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two questions; Was the PPK available in .380 from it's inception? I've heard that the PPK cant have an alloy frame in .380 because it will deform/break, is this true?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
First PPK chambered in 7,65mm was introduced in 1930, 9mm kurz followed in late 1933.

Walther ZM made the DURAL versions between ~1933 - 1943, chambered in both, 7,65mm and 9mm kurz. Early guns has got the old (open) frame design, later versions got the reinforced (closed) frame design. I do not know about any deform/break.

Anyway, Walther/Ulm decided to reintroduce the PPK/L only in 7,65mm and .22lr.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Even though the frame was alloyed, the trigger guard remained steel to take the abuse.

Reactions: Mike Martin

·
Registered
592 Posts
Martin: What was the actual frame difference between open and closed PPK design? (I initially thought you might be referring to the difference between PPK and PPK/S frames, but on second reading of your post, I think your context was only PPK.)

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
The design difference is visible on both, PP + PPK. You may look at the illustrations in E.J. Hoffschmidt's book 'Know your Walther PP & PPK Pistols', also shown in Dieter Marschall's book 'Walther Pistols, Models 1 to PPX' . The so called 'closed version' was used by Walther/Ulm as well.

In addition: The design change was done on both, DURAL and also steel frames. The cutout for the clamping piece (and the piece itself) was/were redesigned.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The PPK is my favorite (I have three now and have owned others), but I still have so much to learn about them. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,363 Posts
If we grouse about the 'rappiness' of the steel framed .380, the Dural .380s must have been real sweethearts to shoot. :rolleyes:
Moon

Reactions: Mike Martin

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
...but they will not deform/break...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts