Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this answer if found elsewhere on this forum but what is the latest date Walther and Ft. Smith has proposed to begin manufacture of the new PPK?
Its my annual inquiry.

I'm not getting any younger.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Late this year is what I was told also, but our rep said realistically, first quarter of 2019

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
For actual use as a real, modern gun, there are better alternatives. For a version of an intriguing old gun, there are other alternatives.
Moon

Reactions: 23738

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Frankly, Fort Smith has tossed out so many tentative release dates which have come and go at this point that there's no valid reason to pay any attention whatsoever to the latest release date they've given, which is late 2018/early 2019.

If you want a Walter PPK(/S) then I would sooner recommend keeping an eye out for a LNiB S&W or Interarms model. They can be hard to find in some areas, but I honestly believe that you'd sooner find yourself with one in your hand if you started searching now rather than continuing to wait on the new production out of Fort Smith, AR.

If you want a similar firearm for carry, then there are a variety of cheaper options such as Military Surplus ComBlok clones, or the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380, which is currently available in a wide variety of configurations including one with a 15 round capacity, all of which can generally be had for under $300 and are typically 100% reliable.

If you absolutely must have one of the new production PPKs, then I suggest putting it on the backburner until the day comes when you no longer need to ask whether they're out yet or not because they'll be sitting inside the display case in your LGS.
Also, if you're going to ask questions or start discussions about the new production PPK(/S) then you'd be better off doing it elsewhere since pretty much nobody here follows it and is generally disdainful of it eventhough it doesn't even exist yet, so the common responses you'll get are groans of disapproval and a resounding "We don't know." The Walther Forum is to new PPKs what the S&W Forum (the bad one) is to new S&W Revolvers, asking questions about them only begets a plethora of negative responses you never asked for. Just replace endless groaning over locks with endless groaning over the extended beavertail.

Reactions: Jimmo952 and Balogh

·
Super Moderator
7,359 Posts
There's some truth to that, Austin. And there's some snob appeal (Hey, we have the real thing!) But new Smith revos aren't so bad, and the Ft. Smith guns may be okay as well.

I think some folks may think that, by getting a brand new gun, they will be acquiring a perfection that something used won't posses. Discount that too, and find a decent used specimen, until Ft. Smith gets their stuff together.
I'll stick by 'better guns are available just to use as guns,' though.

Moon

Reactions: Redcat94 and shawn

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
I mean, if they were going to offer a .32 version, I'd be interested.

But a .380 that holds less than my PPS, while being heavier, with a trigger style that quite honestly doesn't appeal to me, in an arguably inferior caliber :D, nahhh.

I'll stick with my little piece of plastic that I'm used to.

Here's my vote/prediction: Walther will never sell a new PPK, period.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I want this to actually happen. The PPK is an iconic pistol and we wouldn't be here if we didn't appreciate it and its history. The problem is that those of us who appreciate its history are fewer and fewer every year. Any new version, however disappointing, has the potential to introduce this gun to a new generation of users. Once that happens they can be familiarized with the real classics that we talk about here. Think of it as a gateway gun for a new generation.

I hope it comes out and is effectively marketed. Hopefully we can make some new and younger friends. It doesn't matter if I don't want one for myself.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
I'd still be here. My first Walther was a P.38 ac42 I bought in a Safeway parking lot in Denver for $500, almost two decades ago.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nostalgia

I hear you Austin and you are right.

I just regret ever losing possession of that WWII PPK bring back I use to carry around the farm in the 60's on the truck dashboard. With an eagle on the grip it was my friend's father's. He didn't want it because they were so common. Everyone wanted a Luger. I couldn't find ammo for it after a while and let someone else have it.

I have a Sig P238 and it is a little beauty. I would still like to again lay my hands on the same lineage gun that Shicklgruber used to end WWII. I guess you appreciate these things as you get old.

If you want a Walter PPK(/S) then I would sooner recommend keeping an eye out for a LNiB S&W or Interarms model. They can be hard to find in some areas, but I honestly believe that you'd sooner find yourself with one in your hand if you started searching now rather than continuing to wait on the new production out of Fort Smith, AR.

If you want a similar firearm for carry, then there are a variety of cheaper options such as Military Surplus ComBlok clones, or the Bersa Thunder/Firestorm 380, which is currently available in a wide variety of configurations including one with a 15 round capacity, all of which can generally be had for under $300 and are typically 100% reliable.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Cue obligatory post about how a new Walther PPK can never possibly come anywhere near the quality of a WWII-era PPK.

You know, because apparently some folks honestly believe that the firearms which were literally rushed out of the factory to meet demand or cobbled together by US Soldiers using whatever parts were lying around in the factory after the war and taken home as souvenirs/trophies were of higher quality than any Walther made in the past 30 years. After all, they were made with hand-fitted, hammer-forged steel, which is obviously better than cast, CNC machined steel, regardless of whether or not it had actually been adequately heat treated before leaving the factory.

Reactions: Yoxford

·
Read Only
5,165 Posts
LOL, didn't the doc tell you that too much salt in your diet is bad for ya?

I mean, with a sig like that... :rolleyes:

Guess all those PPK's that "were cobbled together by US soldiers" :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: were ALL perfectly unusable over here, too. :D

What did the starch say to the dress shirt? "oh, the irony".. :D

1 - 20 of 55 Posts