Walther Forums banner

101 - 120 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
This is probably common knowledge, but my BA date code has the new style spring seat.
That's not necessarily a guarantee. My PPS is a BA also. The test fire was done on 23 Sept. 2010. I have the "old style" slide stop and spring.

I've decided to keep shooting (and carrying) this gun until it shows me personally that this part needs replacing. I have put about 600 rounds through it and it continues to function very well, even though some people diss the .40 cal version. Zero FTF, FTE or any other malfunctions. So far I am very pleased with my PPS.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, apparently there's no rhyme or reason to this changeover! I just checked the test fire date on my empty case envelope and it says June 10th '10. That's three months earlier that yours which has the "old style". Where I work, anytime we have a component design change, we count and plan for two months to be sure all old stock has been exhausted prior to introduction of the new parts. I guess such things are not that important to the folks at Walther...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I checked mine out after haveing it for 3 days. It is a BA and it seems to have a smaller tab than the one pictured in the first post.
Craig

·
Registered
29 Posts
:) BB Date Code, Test Fired on January 12, 2011 / (12.1.11 don't forget to reverse the month and day for European to U.S. numerical dates).

"Manfred Kolker" fired the shot so is there really any question these things are made in germany?

Spring IS retained by the little tab. That's a relief

500 rnds now and at least a dozen combinations of ammo makes and bullet weights...ZERO function errors.:D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Manny!

Hey he fired my 9mm on 16sep10 except on mine it's spelled
Manfred Kloker.
My .40 was test fired by Roland Schmid.

So yes, I'll agree, the names are slightly Teutonic

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello 45Magna,

Jawol!, I'm sure I just mis-spelled his name. I am really enjoying my fine little gun. I hope you are too, but I suspect the answer is "yes" since you have a Family of them...:)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was going to say it's the only gun I own 2 of but I also have a 1903 and 1908 Colt pocket hammerless in .32 and .380 respectively, but I didn't buy them. They have been in the family. So the PPS is the only gun I bought two of. :)

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
My wife and I both have PPS's. Mine is date code AI (2008) and hers is AK (2009). Both old style and we've never had a problem. But in fairness, neither of us has thousands of rounds through either. Regardless, I still trust the pistols.

R

·
Registered
11 Posts
I emailed S&W/Walther service about the part discrepancy last month and never got a reply. That wasn't too reassuring but I'm up to about 800 rounds through my Manny Kloker test fired PPS and it continues to operate well. I guess that's why I haven't stepped up to the next level with S&W support yet. The newer part with the spring tang just makes more sense but I will continue to shoot (and carry) this gun. Hopefully, owners of this otherwise well designed and functioning handgun will find this thread and keep us posted with their experiences.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
This is yet another indication of the inconsistency of customer support back east. But it's a good thing that your pistol is operation as advertised; let's hope that it remains more consistent than the folks at S&W/WaltherAmerica who are, at least, still a phone call or email away.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My first post here. Got my PPS in April or May this year- don't even remember. Date code BA with new style. Love this gun- my EDC after carrying my XDm for 6 months- dang that thing is HUGE- great gun, just too big for me to conceal comfortably.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My first post here. Got my PPS in April or May this year- don't even remember. Date code BA with new style. Love this gun- my EDC after carrying my XDm for 6 months- dang that thing is HUGE- great gun, just too big for me to conceal comfortably.

Nice to hear from someone who carried an XDM....That is likely the next handgun I will go to and it would be more of a range gun (at the least)

·
Registered
6 Posts
BB new style, though it looks different from some of the other 'new' styles pictured. OT- can anyone tell me the significance of the 3 dial-type stamps in the barrel portion of the frame?

·
Registered
12 Posts
OT- can anyone tell me the significance of the 3 dial-type stamps in the barrel portion of the frame?
Those are used in injection molding. The indicators are used to track injection runs, batches, etc.

edit: Mine is a AF with the old slide stop and the "S" disconnector. Great little gun!

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
After looking at the parts diagram of the PPS, there appears to be TWO (2) types of frames in the older guns. The size of the hole is different from early to late. If you have an early gun, the hole will be 6MM in size. IT USES THE OLD STYLE SLIDE STOP. These pistols must be returned to Walther for repair of the slide stop. I guess they open up the hole to 7MM to accept the new size slide stop.

Can anyone with the BA date code WITH the tab on the stop please measure
with a caliper the following:

1) size of the hole where you see the tab (6 or 7 MM)
2) measure the distance from the TOP of the hole to the top of the frame (thickness of the frame at that point so the hole can be properly located for do it your selfers)

This way owners will know if they can do the repair themselves or have to send in the gun to Walther for the frame modification (6 to 7 mm hole). Or allow a gunsmith to repair the gun locally ( I work in a gun manufacturing facility. I'll have my guys do the mod on lunch if need be).

·
Registered
458 Posts
101 - 120 of 498 Posts