Walther Forums banner

81 - 100 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a date code of BA/test fire 11.03.10 and it has the old style. brand new gun. first shots were today put 200 rounds through it no problems at all.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What does everyone make of this

Hello to everyone, this is my first post on Walther forums , switching over from PPStalk since I believe it is no longer in service. My Father In Law just bought a new PPS chambered in 9mm. Came with one of each capacity magazine and night sights. The first thing I noticed is that it has the new slide stop with the captive tang on it.

Doing some research of my own after Member alfanator posted he contacted S&W and the new style slide stop is known as P/N :2686074 .

It is shown in this exploded diagram as that P/N. However what is the note reguarding frame dimensions before replacing slide stop? I havent heard anything about frame variations.

Reference here in PDF http://www.carl-walther.de/files/pdf/PPS_2753880.pdf

Thanks, Rich
PPS 9MM 08 Date Code

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Hey Walther...

Anyone from S&W able to answer this question? We all would love to know the story with the slide stops.

I for one would replace mine with the later parts (springs as well?)

What says S&W?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I setn an email to Ms. Fredette. She replied to me (1 week later) and said as far as she knows "there is no recall on this gun". She offered to send a pick up ticket, which I am still waiting for(going on 3 weeks).

I'm not to awfully concerned, but would like to have it fixed, since they did make a design change.

I'll keep ya posted as things progress.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
My suggestion: Send Kate another email and let her know that you have been waiting for 3 weeks to get a shipping ticket from S&W. That's the kind of stuff that never should happen, especially when the boss authorizes the ticket in the first place.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Does anyone have the part numbers on the new style slide stop & new spring to go with it? When you guys email Walther, find out what we need to order to update our pistols.

·
Registered
23 Posts
As a result of reading this thread, sent the following email to the address noted earlier in the post:

"Good afternoon. I recently purchased a PPS in 9mm and after reading the thread checked my slide stop to discover that it does not have a tab containing the spring. Curious what my options are?"

This morning received the following response:

"We apologize that you are experiencing a problem with your Smith & Wesson firearm.

A review of the firearm by a Smith & Wesson gunsmith will be required.

You may obtain a prepaid / pre-insured Fedex return shipping label directly by clicking the link below.

Warranty Repair Shipping Form - Smith & Wesson

Please allow 1 to 3 business days for the label with instructions to arrive to you via email.

Regards, Paul
1-800-331-0852 Ext. 4125"

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
This seems to be the operating norm at the moment, which is a sad thing to see. At one time, and so long ago, S&W's customer service operation was state of the art and the shining star of the gun industry. Today, based on reports that have been coming in here, it's spotty at best, seemingly dependent of who is at the helm at any given moment. One thing is certain: "Asleep at the switch" is not going to win them any friends or converts.

As they used to say at GM and Chrysler, back in the 1960s when cars were king and a problem came up, "Someone had better get hot on this." In those days, somebody did.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just checked mine.

AI code with old style slide stop.

I'll keep watching this thread to see how S&W handles the guns from this thread that were sent in.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So, no one can get the updated part numbers from Walther? I'm sure many people would love to order the replacement parts & have them install by a gunsmith or do it themselves. If the PPS is someones sole pistol, they would be without their firearm for weeks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I still haven't sent my PPS to S&W for service yet. While I'm not crazy about the "old style" slide stop and spring on mine, it still shoots and functions flawlessly. The spring on my slide stop pops off easily when the gun is apart and I'm cleaning that area with a Q-tip but I haven't had any failures when the gun is together. I guess I've been a little put off by the luke warm responses many people get from S&W Customer Service. I'd be interested to know if an owner complains enough, will S&W replace a part that has shown to be troublesome with a newly designed part, or will they keep placing "tangless" slide stops on returns to exhaust old stock?

·
Registered
133 Posts
... I guess I've been a little put off by the luke warm responses many people get from S&W Customer Service.
[rant]

Stop trying to interpolate what other folks report on the internet as the gospel, even though it may be, in their view, an exact representation of what was said, and HOW it was said. Pick up the phone and call them yourself and see what kind of response you get. You'll likely be much less put off by hearing it first hand.

[/rant]

·
Registered
4 Posts
AK Date Code

I recently got this PPS 9mm in a trade, round count unknown. Previous owner said about 5-600 rounds and I put 200 through myself. After I finished my last Mag, the Slide Stop became stuck. I brought it home and used a flat head to pry it down. Now, it looks like nothing is attached to the spring at all. The Slide Stop functions still, locks back on empty mag and releases fine.

I'm curious what those who sent it to S&W paid for the repairs?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Call S&W customer service/Walther America and tell them what the problem is. The chances are better than excellent that they will send you a pickup slip, repair the pistol, and return it on their dime.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Call S&W customer service/Walther America and tell them what the problem is. The chances are better than excellent that they will send you a pickup slip, repair the pistol, and return it on their dime.
maybe so, just be prepared to be without your PPS for a couple of months if they do :eek:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just got off the phone with S&W / Walther Service. I have an AI date code and needed to know. Tech I spoke to was familiar with the issue and said it has happened with a very small batch of pistols. He said it is precipitated by the occurance of the slide locking back with rounds in the mag, and if there has not been a problem keep shooting. "ain't broke, dont fix."

This does not shake my confidence in the weapon as I have been putting rounds through it and carrying it every day. I have had new firearms with no known issues fail...mechanical device. That said, I really enjoy shooting and carrying the PPS.

81 - 100 of 498 Posts