Walther Forums banner

41 - 60 of 498 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Poger PPS, I would think the new pistols would have the newer stop, however, the store may have "old" stock. Look at the previous posts in this thread and notice some of the date codes that do have the newr stop. That would be a starting point.
Sounds like possibly the earlier BA codes had the old dtyle and the later BA codes have the new style.
Best bet would be to get one from a store where you can actually look at it.
I appreciate the advice. Typically, I like to buy my guns online at Buds to get a better price, pay no sales tax and free shipping. Mabe I can make a request to them to check my particular pistol for the above mentioned???

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe you should ask them that while you're ordering your PPS.

Today
Right now
Just order it
lololol All my overanalyzing is getting on Dave's nerves. Well, I was gonna order it yesterday and saw that Buds is COMPELLING their customers to subscribe to their "newsletter" and become a VIP member. It's the only way you can order a WAP10006. Of course, that will cost you an additional $20.00 to do so. The whole principle just turned me off. They tag a hot seller with the VIP sign up REQUIREMENT to buy that particular pistol. Today, I thought oh well.... they're sold out. :eek:

·
Registered
458 Posts
no big surprise...

Just recieved my NIB old production .40 and checked. Old style slide stop, AI coded.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
So, with all of this, WHO just has to change out their old style slide stop to the new one with the tab? Wondering if it is A MUST to do? Not quite clear if you need a new spring or not?

·
Registered
458 Posts
I'm left wondering that as well. I decided I probably will leave it as is for now. If I get the urge to take the action out of the frame for some reason, I'll probably order the updated parts first(or at least call and see if they'll send them out without charge). I would really prefer not to send it in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
lololol All my overanalyzing is getting on Dave's nerves. Well, I was gonna order it yesterday and saw that Buds is COMPELLING their customers to subscribe to their "newsletter" and become a VIP member. It's the only way you can order a WAP10006. Of course, that will cost you an additional $20.00 to do so. The whole principle just turned me off. They tag a hot seller with the VIP sign up REQUIREMENT to buy that particular pistol. Today, I thought oh well.... they're sold out. :eek:
Yeah...they spammed that plan to me last week, to which I replied that it was great that now you needed to pay extra to get the good deals. The owner replied to me and said it was only for .2% of the deals, and they still have great prices and Gunbroker has an F-rating with the BBB...whatever: the one time I ordered from Bud's my CC info got stolen, so they were already on my list.

On topic, I just picked up a September 2010-test fired PPS with a BA date code. The slide stop is the old model, so I'll buy the part from S&W the next time I get a parts order together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My new pps .40 is BA ('10) date code and has old style.

I just checked at a different gun store that had another BA date code and it had old style as well.

How concerned do I need to be about having the old style? If I call Walther... er... S&W can I get a new style slide stop in the mail?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing, I think it would be good to at least get the upgraded one to have it on hand. Don't know how much they would be.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Roger is there a reason why you want one with the heavier trigger pull? they have it here in stock cheaper than bud's and no CC fees

Grabagun.com Search results for: 'WAP10006' Online Gun Store
Thanks so much. Somewhere along the line there was a misunderstanding. I, like most, prefer the lighter trigger pull and was curious on how to try to avoid getting the harder pull (MASS compliant) if I purchased online.

Thanks to you, I went ahead and FINALLY ordered my PPS! I decided to get one in .40 WAP10002 Grabagun.com...great site!

Should ship early next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Called Walther America today and the representative told me he was unaware of a new slide stop, and hadn't even heard of the problems and suggested writing to Walther Germany to see if they could tell me whether they were using a new piece.... /sigh

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Call or fax or email Kate Fredette and let her know what's going on. Give her dates and times and names, if you can. She's in charge of the customer service operation at S&W/WaltherAmerica. She's the top dog in the hunt there:

By Telephone:

1-800-372-6454 (USA)
413-781-8300 (International)
Mon-Fri 8 AM-8 PM Eastern Time

By Fax:

1-413-747-3317

[email protected]

·
Registered
15 Posts
BA, Casing 10.06.10 has tab

Hey guys,

Just got my PPS a week ago. Took it to the range and put a box of Magtech 165 through it with no problems whatsoever.

After reading this thread, I field stripped it for the first time to look at the slide stop and was relieved to see it does have the tab.

Unfortunately, it only came with one magazine.

TxSS

·
Registered
1 Posts
New PPS Owner

Hi All,

New PPS (actually first Walther I've owned too) owner here. Just wanted to add my data point regarding the slide stop:

Date code is BA, and I have the new style with a tab to retain the spring leg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Am I a catastrophe waiting to happen?

Doh! I have a Sept. 2010 BA .40S&W PPS WAP10009 that I bought new about 6 months ago. It's been a great shooter and very dependable for the 500 rounds or so that I've put through it. It's also been my EDC lately too so yesterdays event was not confidence inspiring in the least. I read this post a while back and although I have the "old style" slide release (w/o the tab), the gun functioned well and I decided to "take a chance". The Die Hard personal defense guys out there will probably flame me for that. Anyway, I put about another 100 rounds through the trusty PPS and it performed flawlessly. I get home and tear the gun down for cleaning without problem and I'm using Q-tips like I always do to get in the nooks and crannies. Well the Q-tip caught on the slide stop spring and promptly pulled it off the ledge on the slide stop. Now I've got the gun apart and the slide stop lever is flopping in the breeze. I was able to easily re-hook the spring but was able to just as easily pop it off again. The gun is cleaned and back together now. I cycled the action repeatedly and the spring seems to be secure during normal operation but......

WTF, I really like this gun but I'm leaning towards contacting S&W/Walther Customer Service and demand that they hook me up with one of those new style slide stops with the extra spring tang. Or I could just have them send the part and I'll install it if that isn't a major PITA. Any opinions are welcome.

BTW, I'll again say that I purchased this gun based on it's design and Walther reputation for quality. I was disheartened to learn of the problems some have reported on this forum with the firearm but mine has been A+ so far. It shoots great, it's accurate and it carries easy. What's not to like?

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
ninjazed,

If it really worries you I would ask S&W/Walther for a call tag and send the pistol back to them for a new slide stop.

If you're a real handy fellow, you could dismantle your PPS and install the new part yourself. But taking this model down to where you can get to the slide stop is a real bother. I'd let the folks with drawers of brand new parts do that - especially if you are depending on this pistol for self defense.

41 - 60 of 498 Posts