Walther Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, went by m one of my LGSs today to make a purchase (PPK/S). I was informed that effective Jan 1 2020, ALL guns returned and received to the manufacture, dealer, etc. MUST BE OVERNIGHT AT a charge of $65.00. I asked what about guns being returned for warranty repairs or Manufacturer Recall? Reply: 65.00 each way. Anyone else heard about this? BTW, he tried to sell me an "Insurance Plan" to cover the first years return for $39.00.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
BS as far as I know. I was just at my long-time LGS today and I think they would have mentioned it to me during the long BS session we had. When I have had to send the two items back to manufacturers under warranty each sent me a self-addressed label so it was on their dime.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I haven't heard of that either. Was that "effective" at that store only?
They said it will be effective Jan. 1, 2020. I asked about recalls and they said yes and it applied to all dealers and manufacturers. Never heard anything about this until today.

·
Registered
26 Posts
A quick call or email to Walther would clear this up.

-------------------------------------------
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
I think you LGS has established that policy for itself. Under Posts, regulations FFLs can ship by Priority Mail. My LGS charges for the postage and shipping an handling charge of $15 and they provide paperwork to show that shipped the gun and as of that date it as out of my possession. I just called them to see if there was a new regulation and they said "No."

If you have to ship back to the Mfg. I suggest you contact them. Many will send you a Priority Mail label indicating they are the shipper and receiver, and then you can ship direct.

I think your LGS is gold digging.

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
Malarkey. The 'overnight charge' was the doing of UPS/FedEx because they supposedly didn't trust their employees' possession of a firearm. This was simple profit-taking by the carriers.
Now, your friendly local shop also is taking some profit. Take you business elsewhere.
Moon

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
As a follow-up, FFLs can ship firearms for perhaps $25, to am MFG or another FFL. This isn't a moneymaker, but it's great for goodwill. A shop that sees a lot of my business cuts me a break on transfers.
Some shops get contrary about shipping if they never saw your face before. Some shops try to attract new customers/floor traffic by offering reasonable transfers and shipping.
For the OP, have you told the shop that their charge isn't universal? Be gentle; I got tossed out of a shop that had seen my business for questioning a price.
Moon

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
S&W, for example, will send you a self addressed shipping label (UPS?) to return a gun for warranty coverage. Walther may not. FFL's can mail a handgun to the manufacturer for you in a flat rate box (usually under $20, or a bit more if heavily insured). A non-FFL cannot use the mail, and that results in a required "next day" fee from FedEx or UPS, which can go into big bucks. If it is not warranty work, or covered by the manufacturer for shipping, you CAN get some heavy fees for returning or shipping a gun for service.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The LGS where I teach charges $60 as well. It’s a giant ass hassle.

For $60 they pack it, ship it, and do the transfer. If people don’t like it, they can ship it themselves.

When we receive the firearm, we are responsible for it and assume all the risk.

Some people complain but like I said, you can ship it yourself and do all the work and save a few bucks. That’s what I do.

If the manufacture provides a paid label then just box it up, follow their instructions and ship it.

I ship guns a lot. Done it all different ways.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I have to tell you, that I can understand a small gun shop charging a service fee and would like to explain why.
SIG Sauer charges an FFL dealer $348 for a SIG P365 plus $16 shipping, same as Davidson's. Of course, they have rebate programs, that when someone buys a mix of ten handguns, he gets one free. Basically a 10% discount and a chance on a slow moving item that ties up capital. Law enforcement dealers sell the P365 for $348 plus tax. Basspro is usually asking $ 399.
If a dealer buys one P365 for $364 shipped, he can make $35 on the sale. If he returns the firearm on his dime and time to a manufacturer, the profit easily turns into a loss.

Anybody who knows just a little about business will understand that a 10% margin is not enough to keep the lights on, pay the rent and offer free services.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
A good margin for a retail shop is about 50%. Guns sell a lot less then that. And you are correct! 10% GM on a firearm sucks. My LGS typically is around 18 to 22% on most guns. Often times less. It’s a tough business. The internet has been great for manufactures and customers but not so good for retailers.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I ALWAYS pay a little extra to LGSs on my guns purchases (of current production firearms), if available.
My PPQ45 and 50AE DEagle were both purchased from a LGS.

The PPQ was ~15% over internet seller prices at the time.
The 50AE was ~7.5 over internet prices.

I support the LGSs in that way.

·
Registered
18 Posts
S&W, for example, will send you a self addressed shipping label (UPS?) to return a gun for warranty coverage. Walther may not.
I sent one back to Walther just last week on a warranty issue, and they e-mailed me a prepaid FedEx label.

·
Super Moderator
7,324 Posts
Understand the desire not to whipsaw a local dealer with Internet prices; use them simply as price comparison. As noted, using the same shop does give you leverage on deals.
Moon

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Apparently, from talking to different dealers, this is a Sportsmans Warehouse policy; not a Government dictate.

Reactions: halfmoonclip

·
Premium Member
8,638 Posts
Apparently, from talking to different dealers, this is a Sportsmans Warehouse policy; not a Government dictate.
Sounds like the dealer did a poor job explaining their new store policy to you or he just wanted to sell you the "insurance".

To give him his due, he may not have had all his justifications entirely straight in his own mind and might not even agree with the policy.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I asked Walther.... Here is what I got...

Any change to our warranty procedure will be outlined on our website. Unless
it comes directly from us its likely not correct and we haven’t made any
changes to anything recently.

Thank you,
Connor Murphy
Gun Tech
Walther Arms, Inc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When shipping a firearm to a manufacturer for warranty work, you do not have to ship from your LGS. Request a copy of the manufacturer's FFL and include that in with the unloaded firearm. Go to the post office and ship it for less than $25 to just about anywhere in the USA. They will ship it directly back to you when the warranty work is finished. FYI, I have a FFL-07 manufacturing license. People ship us guns from all over. We ship them directly back to the customer. As lo

1 - 20 of 22 Posts