Walther Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I love my P99AS. I like the fact that I can pull the trigger 1/2 way and to half cock the pistol. A few questions:

• With factory settings, does anyone know what the lb force is pre and post click?
  • I know the total pull is 4.5 lbs.It feels like it's 1 lb and then 3.5 lbs. Is there any way to make it 3.5 lbs and then 1 lb hair trigger?
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
9,923 Posts
First of all, you're not "cocking" the pistol when you pull back on the trigger (unless you're referring to the double-action pull). The striker is already cocked when you chamber a round (unless you hit the decock button), and the trigger is in the Anti-Stress (AS) mode. In the Anti-Stress mode, you're merely setting the trigger back to the single-action mode from the AS mode.

According to WaltherAmerica (a.k.a., Smith & Wesson), the trigger weights are: 11 lbs. in double-action, 5 lbs. in single. There is no weight given for the AS mode, as that's actually just a long single-action pull. Thus, that trigger weight is the same as when you have the trigger in true single-action. That five-pound pull is the weight needed to trip the striker, not to set the trigger to the single-action reset point.

·
Registered
858 Posts
everything that UE said but i will add this,..despite whatever numbers waltherusa gives,the trigger pull specs originally given by walther in DA is 8.92 lbs(4000g) and 4.46 lbs(2000g) in SA. the pull in AS mode(to reach SA) is insignificant and is only a safety which you don't have to use.

these are the specs that use to be given on the older catalogs and i once measured them and are dang-damm nearly,extremely spot on.

now,having said that,i have seen others measure the p99AS trigger pull and gotten about 11 lbs and 5 lbs for DA SA respectively,however,i believe this is because of how a trigger pull scale works and because of the stage right before the break. in other words,the extra weight(as far as the scale is concerned) comes from the p99AS letting you know it's about to fire,which means the real trigger pull is actually 4000g/2000g(if you need to pull quickly,your not going to notice the extra weight).

to answer your 2nd question,no you can not and should not even try to somehow change the AS mode pull weight(which is nothing) with the actual SA pull weight. the reason is one of design(you can't do it anyway) and because you would fire when you don't want to(not safe at all).

if you really want to "improve" the trigger,you may want to polish(to a mirror finish) all the mating parts and even add some specialized lubricant. you can also install a lighter striker spring but that would mostly reduce DA,...which i do not recommend anyway. there's also a place(i forget the website now) that does trigger jobs on the p99AS and QA and iirc other walthers too.

by the way,do you know of any other DA/SA duty/service pistol,that is not some type of competition model or had some type of trigger job performed on it,that has as light a trigger pull(especially DA) as the p99AS. if so,i'd like to hear it(with the exceptions of the sw99 and MR which are p99 clones,..and the taurus pro ds which i always thought was highly influenced by the p99 even if they don't admit it). there's a specific reason why this is and it has to do with it(p99) being striker fired. hammer fired pistols have come a long way through the years at finding different ways to improve trigger pull,the best of which(service,duty) are usually the sig p series and to a certain extent the beretta px4,....and they still don't beat the p99AS trigger right out of the box.

anyway,enjoy your p99AS.

·
Registered
6,756 Posts
to answer your 2nd question,no you can not and should not even try to somehow change the AS mode pull weight(which is nothing) with the actual SA pull weight.
I agree, I don't think it is possible to do this anyway easily.

The reason the second part of the trigger pull is stronger, is because there is more tension on the trigger return spring, and the trigger bar is fighting against the firing pin block spring on the second section (SA mode).

·
Premium Member
13,613 Posts
Ok, I love my P99AS. I like the fact that I can pull the trigger 1/2 way and to half cock the pistol. A few questions:

• With factory settings, does anyone know what the lb force is pre and post click?
  • I know the total pull is 4.5 lbs.It feels like it's 1 lb and then 3.5 lbs. Is there any way to make it 3.5 lbs and then 1 lb hair trigger?
Thanks!
Just buy a PPQ. Problem solved and much eaiser as well as cheaper....sweetest factory trigger on the market. :D

·
Registered
858 Posts
i just remembered who i saw that does trigger jobs on walthers(i'm not sure if all walthers). triggerwork.net (bill springfield). he doesn't mention the QA but i don't see why not. i would communicate with him first and get all details.

i'm pretty sure i know what he does to them,which if your handy,you can do yourself,..but if in doubt at all,give him a try and let us know the results for others here to know. i have never used him FYI.

however,i'm absolutely sure he will not do what you originally were asking(switching AS mode with SA mode). what he does is lighten the trigger pull and smooth it all out even more.

to moderator: perhaps triggerwork.net should be in a sticky somewhere,lots of people aways ask about who does this.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts